Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account

Profession Choice between Tailoring and Engineering

Hi!

Yesterday I (Elemental) got my Essence of Terror and now I don't need the Zen Alchemist Stone anymore.

At the moment I have JC and Alchemy at 600. Without the Need of the Zen Alchemist Stone I'm thinking of dropping Alchemy for a more usefull (dps-wise) profession. I would go for Tailoring OR Engineering.

I know the Cloak Enchant from Tailoring is superior to the Synapse Springs from Engineering, but the Synapse Springs can be synchronized with my Ascendance. That's the point.

Should I go for the random proc from Tailoring or can I benefit more from a Ascendance / Synapse Spring Combo?

Another Problem is the 10s Penalty from the Synapse Springs on On-Use Trinkets. For certain Fights where I would prefer a On-Use Trinket (from the new 5.1 Horde Faction / 60s CD), the benefit from the Synapse Springs On-Use CD would be gone.

I've read the (Elemental) Professions to Maximize performance Thread, but I want to drop Alchemy and not both professions.

Thanks for your input!

My Armory Link: eu -> battle - > net/wow/de/character/zirkel-des-cenarius/Maz%C3%A9/advanced
    Last edited by bloodpit; 2012-11-29 at 11:23 AM.

Deleted
    Personally speaking I would go with engineering.

I dont like random chance procs even if they are slightly more intellect on paper because as soon as they go off at the wrong time its likely a DPS loss compared to static or controlled professions (during movement when your damage is lower, just as a phase change occurs etc) But controlled burst from engineering I see as far more useful. You can line it up with elegon sparks etc and its more controlled (as well as line it up with ascendance like you say). Plus the rocket boots etc from engineering are also very useful for GTFO moments or getting to point B faster to resume DPS.

But at the end of the day these provide like approx 1% damage bonus if used perfectly, you would probably get more damage out from practicing on the dummys a bit more to tune your rotation (not saying you are bad! but everyone has room for improvement )

Sepha

Sepha

10+ Year Old Account
    Seconding engineering. The control you have over it makes it better. Assuming you play well, it's up for every single DPS cooldown, since all of our CDs are in multiples of 1 minute. Doesn't get much better than that.

| PM Signature Requests: Closed | My Work | Signature Tutorial |

well im engineer, and im finding it a hard profession to swallow, as it basically means we cannot use any, "on use" trinkets.

and theres a really nice 1152 haste, 3838 intellect (1 minute CD) 15 second uptime trinket from the new 5.1 faction.

but as engineer that means i cannot use the glove enchant with it, so i would pop it AFTER ascendance...which is just about the worst possible time to be using it...because the 3838 int on use trinket it better.

where as tailoring cloak enchant would proc during ascendance and you could use the on use trinket, this would be beat any engineer every single time.

so imo tailoring > engineering while blizz keep adding 1 minute on use trinkets.

engeneer for sure. And you cant even stuff this all into numbers.

- you dont need to be repaired when raid is on, just have repbots with you
    - there are additional gadgets you can make use of, not only synapse springs e.G. (Nitro bossts, frost grenades, flame throwers, landsharks G91)
    - additionally it provides convienience for non raid situations as well. Portals, wormholes, having an AH in the shrine etc...
    -

10+ Year Old Account
    as bs jc myself. I would go ENGI cos its always good for pvp to :P
    Geme smtn 2 kielllllll.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer
    where as tailoring cloak enchant would proc during ascendance and you could use the on use trinket, this would be beat any engineer every single time.
    Could proc, not would proc

You are probably going to get a proc on the pull with ascendence but after that its RNG if you get a proc with ascendence or not.

Personally I just have two static professions to remove all this RNG bellyaching

Arguably one of the better elemental shamans (Leeds from Method) uses engineering and JC so you cant go far wrong using him as a rough guide of good proffs to take.

I hear they are quite focused on min/maxing

Sepha

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    well im engineer, and im finding it a hard profession to swallow, as it basically means we cannot use any, "on use" trinkets.

and theres a really nice 1152 haste, 3838 intellect (1 minute CD) 15 second uptime trinket from the new 5.1 faction.

but as engineer that means i cannot use the glove enchant with it, so i would pop it AFTER ascendance...which is just about the worst possible time to be using it...because the 3838 int on use trinket it better.

so imo tailoring > engineering while blizz keep adding 1 minute on use trinkets.
    So use the passive proc trinkets. The Sha of Fear trinket and Relic of Yu'lon are both fantastic (and I'm guess will probably remain BiS). Either way you're choosing between a proc and an on-use. And since you can't guarantee what the trinkets will look like later, I would choose the profession with a guaranteed on-use CD rather than one with a guaranteed proc CD.

| PM Signature Requests: Closed | My Work | Signature Tutorial |

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand all these engineers saying they can't handle on-use trinkets?

I just pair my trinket with my big CD's and use my engineering tinker on cd-when available and not before the trinket.

You can proc it just as your on-use falls off and it is still amazing.
    Guatama - Enhancement
    Slowbrah - Retribution/Holy
    Jamespage - Demonology PVP
    Evocati (H - Zul'jin) is recruiting for 25 man.
    Visit our website to apply.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'll go with Engineering.

Thanks for your Help!