Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I'm sort of the opposite. I won't touch a sub based game again. Tried mop for two days, quit that. I got the rift expansion, haven't played it since about 5 days after it released (nothing against those games, they just don't interest me anymore). The amount of content those games put out doesn't justify the sub model to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I'm sort of the opposite. I won't touch a sub based game again. Tried mop for two days, quit that. I got the rift expansion, haven't played it since about 5 days after it released . The amount of content those games put out doesn't justify the sub model to me.
    Basically you are saying any content isn't worth paying $15 monthly for you. Fair enough. There are people who believe the price of new champions in League of Legends isn't "worth it" either.

Would I be wrong in assuming though you feel content monthly per $15 isn't worthwhile but content yearly via xpac is?

Well I'll just put it this way, Fencers. I feel a lot better about the a la carte method of content. I include expansions as that type of delivery. I suppose the biggest issue I have with subscription models is that I feel I'm just renting the game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Basically you are saying any content isn't worth paying $15 monthly for you. Fair enough. There are people who believe the price of new champions in League of Legends isn't "worth it" either.

Would I be wrong in assuming though you feel content monthly per $15 isn't worthwhile but content yearly via xpac is?
    How about cost xpac + sub? When i played wow i paid for the xpac and sub, which amounted to around gw2 standard edition. This was only for 1 month access. What about gated content? They unlocked all pandaria raids nearly after 2 months, so for me to experience all the (initial) xpac content I had to pay for an xpac+sub+sub.

Maybe im nitpicking here but 1 year and and 9 months without content out of 3 years (ICC 1 year (gated content), and dragon soul 9 months), made me rethink the value of sub based games, that said the only MMO that truly deserve every penny is rift due to sheer amount of content.
    Last edited by mmoc13010d7b87; 2012-11-30 at 06:19 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    GW2 went live, 17 friends playing .. 1 month later .. 0 playing.

Probably nothing wrong with the game ...

Well I'll just put it this way, Fencers. I feel a lot better about the a la carte method of content. I include expansions as that type of delivery.
    Well, I prefer ala carte as well. But that's not really what I am driving at.

What interests me [it was a bit of a leading question originally] is if the value of content added at 15$/mo is seen as "not worth it"; does that make content added via $40 xpac "worth it" to you? And why?

Here maybe if I put it another way,

Let us assume Good Guy MMO are living up to their business model. Delivering a fair amount of content and features on regular monthly schedule at a basic cost of $15/mo. In roughly 2 1/2 months that's nearly $40 or $45 in 3 months.

Good Guy MMO delivered an xpac worth of content over 2 1/2-3 months for roughly the same cost as a $40-45 xpac, no?

I suppose the biggest issue I have with subscription models is that I feel I'm just renting the game.
    Well, its kind of like a lease. This is exactly why my sister does not play sub games; only F2P and Guild Wars 1/2.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Blizzards' track record for end-of-expansion content isn't exactly a shining example of how to do it right, that's for sure. (At least WotLK had Halion added in near the end)
    True they added Halion (which was a great fight imo especially in HM mode), but it was hardly anything tbh (not that the karka "mini expansion" island is exactly content), but yeah its still content.

I believe that lack of end of expansion content kinda screwed blizzard reputation, hell with cata and d3 blizzard are no longer a day 1 purchase for me and I've been a huge fan of them since The Lost Viking game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sort of the opposite. I won't touch a sub based game again. Tried mop for two days, quit that. I got the rift expansion, haven't played it since about 5 days after it released (nothing against those games, they just don't interest me anymore). The amount of content those games put out doesn't justify the sub model to me.
    Each to their own. I picked up the $60 GW2 digital release and dropped it after three weeks and had zero desire to play either of the two content patches since release. Now the $8.25 a month I pay for Rift seems like a hell of good deal to me. Huge content releases often and actual CS that is very in tune with the players, heck even their CM posts in the Rift forums on this site and they ask questions in game and update live in game if there's some server issues etc.

Just because you don't like Rift's play model doesn't make GW2 b2p a better choice. I understand for you maybe but many wow/rift/Eve players will disagree. I know what I get for my monthly fee and no cash shop purchases for me I pay for the service Trion gives me and it trumps Anet's by leaps and bounds imo.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azerox View Post
    GW2 went live, 17 friends playing .. 1 month later .. 0 playing.

Probably nothing wrong with the game ...
    Its not everyone cup of tea thats all, and yes it does have some issues that they need to fix as soon as possible imo, because the MMO crowd ain't exactly patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post

Just because you don't like Rift's play model doesn't make GW2 b2p a better choice. I understand for you maybe but many wow/rift/Eve players will disagree. I know what I get for my monthly fee and no cash shop purchases for me I pay for the service Trion gives me and it trumps Anet's by leaps and bounds imo.
    I have nothing against the game, it just wasn't for me. The payment model doesn't really alter that although if there was no sub I'd most likely return every now and then. It sounds like you feel that same way towards GW2 and that's fine. I wasn't slamming the game but it just wasn't for me and the payment model is a part of that yes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    It's a shame too, I LOVED Tier 11. Seemed like it all went downhill by Tier 13.
    Agreed T11 was amazing, sadly they changed philosophy or whatever (dude to the massive outcry on the forums imo) and everything went downhill from there.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have nothing against the game, it just wasn't for me. The payment model doesn't really alter that although if there was no sub I'd most likely return every now and then. It sounds like you feel that same way towards GW2 and that's fine. I wasn't slamming the game but it just wasn't for me and the payment model is a part of that yes.
    I guess I worded it a little hostile. I understand the game may not be for you or others. I have seen other players try to validate their decision solely on the fact there is no sub which is so wrong. I play a game based on a few factors so even though GW2 has no more cost beyond the box and future xpacs I didn't enjoy anything PVE wise beyond the art in the game.

The sub game (Rift) for me is the clear better choice. I have no hate for GW2 and even though It won't cost me anything to play it right now I won't even give it the time of day now. I'm sure you're in the same boat for Rift which is cool with me.

Deleted
    GW2 hasnt added any real content yet, they've merely develloped their holiday events which they will recycle until the end of times, and called it a content patch.

According to that logic, WoW"s holiday events should be counted as content patches aswell when they were new.

Speaking of holiday events, couldnt GW2 come up with something original? Seriously? A guy with a pumpkin as a head as a boss, where have i seen that before.
    And hunting for candy corn?

Is their christmas event going to consist of saving reindeer and killing the Greench too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizz releases a couple raids then goes 6 months without shit, happened both wotlk and cata. I don't quite remember how BC was even though I was there for it all, but their content output is slow as a fuckin snail. They are alright at first but then they just bring everything to a halt while making the next expac with some retarded shit like panda's or whatever. You aren't getting your moneys worth by a long shot. I imagine it won't be hard for ANet to defeat Blizzard in content output. GW2 is still newish, I don't even want an expansion for at least another 3 months.

Assuming I have the incentive to log in at all, totally based on ANets dodgy moves. They might pull another complete 180 who knows.

Right now for me, patches > content by far. They need to fix shit, not make more problems.

i haven't played GW2 in forever but it's a good game. i liked playing it, i just can't get into the lore of guild wars and i dunno, i had rather play skyrim. i really like TES lore, used to like wow's lore in the pre-butchering shit for money days, and never really got into gw

the game itself is nothing but good. i had no gripes about it at all. it looked amazing, was fun while i played it, liked crafting, etc.

second i heard about TESO it made me feel like spending time in wow or gw2 was a waste of time. felt like since i wasn't in it for the long haul, because the second TESO comes out i'm all on that permanently, that it was just a waste of time

i don't think NOT costing $15 a month is a problem, i don't think the game is a problem and i think it's done really well and will be around a long time just like guild wars was, i think MOSTLY people think less than 12,000,000 subs is a failure and NO mmo will EVER see that type of sub base again. wow peaked at 10,000,000 subs with a worldwide release in mop, if they can't do better than that nobody will and people are quitting in droves. i think 1-2 million subs is good and within 3 years, wow will be at that level with 5 or 6 other major MMOs

Quote Originally Posted by Trafalgarlaw View Post
    GW2 hasnt added any real content yet, they've merely develloped their holiday events which they will recycle until the end of times, and called it a content patch.
    Bear in mind the main content of Guild Wars 2 is cenetered on Dynamic Events and PVP.

Both patches so far did add dynamic events and PVP areas.

According to that logic, WoW"s holiday events should be counted as content patches aswell when they were new.
    Aren't they?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/730...ere-10_18_2012

^ Seems like a lot of content to me.

The wiki page for WoW's Halloween events is huge, there are guides for Halloween and seems to have content added progressively.

Speaking of holiday events, couldnt GW2 come up with something original? Seriously? A guy with a pumpkin as a head as a boss, where have i seen that before.
    And hunting for candy corn?
    Well, they have had this Halloween event since 2005-6ish. Fairly consistent with past installments of the franchise and comparable to contemporaries.

10+ Year Old Account

Not true!

For the Shadow of the Mad King they added the following permanent content:
    *50 New Dynamic Events
    *3 Jumping Puzzles
    *2 Mini-dungeons
    *New daily & monthly rewards
    *31 new achievements
    *New mini-game Costume Brawl
    *PvP paid tournaments
    *Costumes and miniatures
    In addition to the holiday only content which included a dungeon, the Clock Tower jumping puzzle, 2 pvp maps and a number of events and achievements.

For the Lost Shores patch they added the following permanent content:
    *New PvP map
    *New zone
    *2 Jumping Puzzles
    *New dungeon - Fractals of the Mists
    *New armor
    *New weapons
    *New recipes and mats
    *New group of NPCs - the Consortium
    *Miniatures
    *New events
    In addition to the patch launch only content which included 3 days of special events.
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Bear in mind the main content of Guild Wars 2 is cenetered on Dynamic Events and PVP.

Both patches so far did add dynamic events and PVP areas.

Aren't they?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/730...ere-10_18_2012

^ Seems like a lot of content to me.

The wiki page for WoW's Halloween events is huge, there are guides for Halloween and seems to have content added progressively.

Well, they have had this Halloween event since 2005-6ish. Fairly consistent with past installments of the franchise and comparable to contemporaries.
    Sorry, but i just dont consider "dynamic events" as content. They're nothing more than self triggered quests with sometimes an elite mob at the end.

Deleted
    You can take it like "dailies hub" in wow then .

Sorry, but i just dont consider "dynamic events" as content. They're nothing more than self triggered quests with sometimes an elite mob at the end.
    So you don't consider the main feature of PVE content to be content?

That's not a Guild Wars 2 issue. That's totally your own faulty perception.