Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Is it going to take until something like level 30 before I actually get the feel of this profession, because of all the kits?
    Yes. Engineer is probably the most drawn out class in the entire game. They need almost every skill whereas like a Ranger or Warrior can stop buying skills after 30 SPs.

Mines, Bomb Kit and Tool Kit are not super needed. So can skip those till you find a pressing need. Although the wrench can be used to repair turrets. Something to consider should you wanna play what is the least effective Ritualist imaginable.

All the other skills provide the bulk of Engineer utility they are are otherwise missing from actual weapons.

There will come a time when 50,000 Krait are chain death gripping you in Orr. Yet you'll be like, "Cya, bitches! *slick shoes*" and suddenly that bugged SPC in Lornar's Pass was worth it.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've levelled my Engineer defensively back then with shield and pistol and I used bombs to kite champions and kill packs. Grenades were a bit OP underwater back then but they and the bombs are superior to that spear gun you are getting in underwater PVE. For that matter I'm still using the same setup: Bombs for solo and grenades when in groups. The one thing bombs do offer is when you set up a chain of fire bomb and good ol' bomb and then switch to shield and pistol and pop magnetic inversion you actually can get 6 stacks of might to anyone within blast radius (3 from fire + good ol' and +3 more from magnetic inversion) but it's tricky and latency might not always be your best friend in that combo chain.

Suffice to say this one is entirely turret-less depending on traits you might want at least the healing turret even though it heals less. But I personally was fine with the elixir H and having emergency supply drops as elite skill later (depending on your race, as Asura for instance, it is superior to any other elite skill). Depending on play skill Elixir B(oons) (my personal preference), R(ecovery), S(shrink) or U(tility) might work but definitely you want Elixir C(onditions) in one of your slot to turn all conditions into boons.

Hope it helps and yes, I feel it's the class I feel most attached to. Everytime I am playing another class I am missing something. Also another thing: Engineer's DPS is fairly backloaded in my experience.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Request for candy cane skin rifle that shoots tinsel as a particle effect please?
    Or change grenade/bomb kits on engineers so that they’re throwing/setting presents…. presents of DOOM
    ^someone posted this on the main forum and I felt it should be included here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Yes. Engineer is probably the most drawn out class in the entire game. They need almost every skill whereas like a Ranger or Warrior can stop buying skills after 30 SPs.

Mines, Bomb Kit and Tool Kit are not super needed. So can skip those till you find a pressing need. Although the wrench can be used to repair turrets. Something to consider should you wanna play what is the least effective Ritualist imaginable.

All the other skills provide the bulk of Engineer utility they are are otherwise missing from actual weapons.

There will come a time when 50,000 Krait are chain death gripping you in Orr. Yet you'll be like, "Cya, bitches! *slick shoes*" and suddenly that bugged SPC in Lornar's Pass was worth it.
    I personally don't use kits (went for a "Bounty Hunter" sniper of sorts) so my Mine Kit, Utility Goggles, and my beloved Rocket Boots =D, was all I needed
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

I've gone as a alchemist/pistol build for damage/utility, fairly simple, but it can be switched out to a fairly good rifle, flamethrower, or elixir gun build if wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Mines, Bomb Kit and Tool Kit are not super needed.
    I find bombs to be super fun and quite effective, though runners require me to switch over to grenades. Then again, it could be because I created a green asura named Squee. Was super bummed at how fast Spleen and Spoon were taken. "Do not run! We are your friends!" Still bummed that mines are not proximity based. "Candygram!"

Deleted
    Pistol and Shield is the way to, spec into firearms and tools for faster tool belt recharge... Your like a mini guardian with turrets and if you spec into tool kit, you effectively have 3 ways to block incoming damage along with a cripple so its good going when fighting more than 1 mob in questing zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    I find bombs to be super fun and quite effective, though runners require me to switch over to grenades. Then again, it could be because I created a green asura named Squee. Was super bummed at how fast Spleen and Spoon were taken. "Do not run! We are your friends!" Still bummed that mines are not proximity based. "Candygram!"
    Bomb kit is WONDERFUL in explorables as a support kit.

Seriously, wide area launch on 30 second cooldown is op. 21 if you go 30 in to your toolbelt line. It is just rather dangerous because well... melee kit in explorables... (If you go purely bombs too you can go 20 points in to explosives, steel packed powder isn't that useful with only 1 explosion at a time, nor are the 30 point majors)

Personally I swap between grenades or bombs depending on the situation, with pistol/shield for personal defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn, considering I managed to get in the game pretty much the instant servers came up I wish I had taken those names for my Asuras >.<
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually... the mines you deploy with the toolbelt skill (mine field) are ALL proximity based, however you can trigger the toolbelt skill again to detonate them all and thus be able to hit enemies you normally wouldn't be able (the explosion range is longer then detonation range)
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    Actually... the mines you deploy with the toolbelt skill (mine field) are ALL proximity based, however you can trigger the toolbelt skill again to detonate them all and thus be able to hit enemies you normally wouldn't be able (the explosion range is longer then detonation range)
    Let me prep my Farnsworth voice: "Hu-whut?" I didn't think to try the minefield like that. Will have to give that a shot. I usually just toss them out when I'm doing bombing runs for a decent AoE explosion of chaos and awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let me prep my Farnsworth voice: "Hu-whut?" I didn't think to try the minefield like that. Will have to give that a shot. I usually just toss them out when I'm doing bombing runs for a decent AoE explosion of chaos and awesome.
    oh dude me and the mine used to be mortal enemies (back when it was a kit) but after i accidently learned it as my first skill we've been bros ever since lol

Atm I have a condition/precision build for my eng . I use double pistols and elixirs to maximise my dps. Works pretty fine

Supposedly weapon sigils (and then later stats) are supposed to actually affect your weapon kits in the coming patch. Supposedly.

Considering how the Ranger patch went, don't be surprised if it's
    • Tooltip update
    • Tooltip update
    • Tooltip update
    • Increased range on one rifle skill
    • Turrets have a slightly bigger radius.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

15+ Year Old Account
    To be honest I have never understood why they didn't add a rune slot for each kit you have learned. Right now it all reminds me on cat and bear scaling in early WoW ("Well, technically you don't wear a weapon while cat form"...."Well, technically you don't wear a weapon while in kit form"....)
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

I feel like I'm necro'ing this thread. :P

At any rate, I'm having a difficult time finding 'standard' builds for engineer. Looking through the official forums every build seems to have somewhat significant variations in it even though it's still labeled as a "Static Discharge" build, for example. So, my question is are there standard (dps preferably) builds that are suggested for engineer?

Speaking of Static Discharge, I'm intrigued by it, but again I can't find a common build, everyone has their own take on it. I am not good at theorycrafting or really numbers/math in general, which is why I rely on people telling me how best to spec and then I take it from there. :P So if anyone knows of "the best" SD build, that'd be awesome.

I'd also be interested in condition builds, although, it sounds like grenades aren't really the best way to level with Grenadier requiring level 60. My engineer's only 25 right now, hence thinking SD + rifle might be the best way to go unless someone has a bomb spec suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I feel like I'm necro'ing this thread. :P

At any rate, I'm having a difficult time finding 'standard' builds for engineer. Looking through the official forums every build seems to have somewhat significant variations in it even though it's still labeled as a "Static Discharge" build, for example. So, my question is are there standard (dps preferably) builds that are suggested for engineer?

Speaking of Static Discharge, I'm intrigued by it, but again I can't find a common build, everyone has their own take on it. I am not good at theorycrafting or really numbers/math in general, which is why I rely on people telling me how best to spec and then I take it from there. :P So if anyone knows of "the best" SD build, that'd be awesome.

I'd also be interested in condition builds, although, it sounds like grenades aren't really the best way to level with Grenadier requiring level 60. My engineer's only 25 right now, hence thinking SD + rifle might be the best way to go unless someone has a bomb spec suggestion.
    There are some standard builds. A flamethrower one, a grenadier and various elixir combos. There is also a tanky healing one for PVP where an engineer can keep themselves alive for a long time. For leveling I tended to use pistol/pistol early on with pistol/shield later as things got a bit tougher. While leveling, I used turrets a lot because the mobs tend to focus their attention on the turrets and it frees you up a bit. I switched to grenades at about level 40. Even without the trait, they are still strong at lower levels. It's rather tough to get used to though. I personally couldn't get the hang of the flamethrower builds. You can see some of those builds here:

Grenadier

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/...enades-in-pve/

Flamethrower build (long thread dating quite far back)

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/...nd-elixir-gun/

The problem is that there is not a cut an dry answer to things. It depends a lot on your playstyle and what you like. I would take a look at some of the threads in here:

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/40-engineer/

Even with a grenadier you can go for a berserker option where things die quickly or a rampager/rabid version where conditions do a lot of damage over time. The nice thing about rabid is that you can buy the exotic gear with karma and it gives you a lot of toughness for about 10%-15% loss in damage which is good for dungeons.

10+ Year Old Account
    For PvP I'm currently enjoying some kind of half-baked Rifle+static discharge build, just the auto shots from rifle hit really hard (and burn on crits - 50% crit chance, 58% crit bonus) and have absurd range. 10/30/0/0/30, total glass canon lol.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcAQFAU...ljLDXSuscNo4QA

As for just good ol' leveling, I'm just using the same static-discharge build with rifle, it's just such a great all-round weapon. But then again, I play from Oceania and placing grenades/bombs REALLY sucks at 350ms+ pings so you could most likely get that stuff to work better than I can.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2013-06-01 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    While leveling, I used turrets a lot because the mobs tend to focus their attention on the turrets and it frees you up a bit.
    I'm not a fan of the turrets yet. They die so easily (I don't have the 30% damage reduction trait yet) it seems like no sooner than I place them they're already demolished and by normal enemies not even veterans or champions.

I switched to grenades at about level 40. Even without the trait, they are still strong at lower levels. It's rather tough to get used to though. I personally couldn't get the hang of the flamethrower builds.
    Grenades feel really weak to me. It seems to take a lot of spamming them to kill things. I suppose Flamethrower isn't a whole lot better, but I feel significantly more mobile without having to click target every attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    For PvP I'm currently enjoying some kind of half-baked Rifle+static discharge build, just the auto shots from rifle hit really hard (and burn on crits - 50% crit chance, 58% crit bonus) and have absurd range. 10/30/0/0/30, total glass canon lol.
    Yeah, I forgot to mention that in my post. It seems every SD build I find is PvP related, which is why I wondered if there was a good one for PvE.

As for just good ol' leveling, I'm just using the same static-discharge build with rifle, it's just such a great all-round weapon. But then again, I play from Oceania and placing grenades/bombs REALLY sucks at 350ms+ pings so you could most likely get that stuff to work better than I can.
    My internet connection is terrible. I actually wouldn't doubt it's as bad as playing from Oceania sometimes. :P

Is engineer like mesmer in that it takes awhile to get into stride? The only other class I felt this weak with at low levels was mesmer, but after about level 40 mesmer picked up significantly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Huh? I've leveled a bunch of classes and Engi actually felt like one of the easiest, from ground-up you're given so much stuff to help you maintain distance and deal consistent damage.
    You're not going to be a mob-slaying machine like what mesmers and guardians can do (or I dunno, I haven't really properly explored all profs) but they're definitely up there in terms of PvE ease-to-play.

Probably the most confusing thing about Engi is that pretty much anyone you ask will show you a slightly different build, even if you say "gimme cookie-cutter!" you'll get like 3-5 different builds...which can get really annoying for newbies to the class because they just want a straight damn answer (I know the felling).
    I tried everything from grenades to bombs to dual pistols, always kept falling back to the trusty rifle :P
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2013-06-01 at 02:08 PM.