Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

[Fire] New Hotfix - Fire nerfs

*The periodic damage from Combustion has been reduced by 50%.

*The critical strike chance multiplier from Critical Mass has been reduced to 1.25 (was 1.5).

I was expecting a nerf for fire, seems like %15 damage nerf to a decent geared mage. It's a bit harsh imo.

What do you think overkill or fair?

Source : http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/792..._29-11_29_2012

Edit: Source added.
    Last edited by Darcyn; 2012-12-01 at 06:23 AM.

We needed a damage nerf and I feel the Combustion change is warranted. This Critical Mass change is completely arbitrary and will be reversed when Blizzard realizes that it makes the spec very, very difficult if not unusable for fresh 90s and really anybody in 480 or lower ilvl gear. They simply don't have the stat points to shift around to make Combustion work right.

The two biggest questions this raises:

1.) How long until they change the change they made to their change this time?

2.) Why are they letting interns make major changes to the classes? No person with any experience and logical skills thought that Pyroblast should be put on a three second cooldown or that removing 25% of the crit of the two major spells of a crit-dependent class with a crit-dependent playstyle was a solution.

Fucking colossal overkill.

---------- Post added 2012-12-01 at 06:19 AM ----------

Also, source?

Quote Originally Posted by Shmeh View Post
    Fucking colossal overkill.

---------- Post added 2012-12-01 at 06:19 AM ----------

Also, source?
    Yeah srsly you'd better not get my hopes up for nothing!

10+ Year Old Account
    Combustion: Will just bring it to levels before hand, wouldn't it?

Critical Mass: Might hurt the spec

A mix between too much and fair. Some fights mages were so far ahead everyone else that it was getting pretty crazy.

Both nerfs are justified. Combustion contributed way too much damage for a cooldown ability. Critical Mass is a primary reason that Fire scaling is overpowered.

To bring things back into balance though, Fireball/Pyroblast need a fixed 5% crit bonus. That would also solve the problem of Fire feeling awful at low crit levels.

Appears to be massively overkill right now. This is bullshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagecamia View Post
    Combustion: Will just bring it to levels before hand, wouldn't it?

Critical Mass: Might hurt the spec

A mix between too much and fair. Some fights mages were so far ahead everyone else that it was getting pretty crazy.
    No. Combustion now does less damage than before the 5.1 change.
    Armory
    Twitter
    Altered-Time.com - the #1 Mage Theorycrafting community.

WE SO EXCITED

omg omg omg omg omg omg

i cant wait to drink the tears of noskill mages playing that awful spec.

On a more positive note I am seriously excited that I'll be able to unbench my mage and play frost without feeling bad for not playing the optimal spec.

For the record it does sound like overkill.. they need to make crit scale differently so it isnt awful at low gear levels imo. I like the idea of a passive crit chance addition to fireball - that would also enforce it as our main filler spell whereas currently scorch is way too good for fire, doing almost as much dps as fireball filler.

User was infracted for this post.
    Last edited by Swizzle; 2012-12-01 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dennisdkramer View Post
    WE SO EXCITED

omg omg omg omg omg omg

i cant wait to drink the tears of noskill mages playing that awful spec.

On a more positive note I am seriously excited that I'll be able to unbench my mage and play frost without feeling bad for not playing the optimal spec.

For the record it does sound like overkill.. they need to make crit scale differently so it isnt awful at low gear levels imo. I like the idea of a passive crit chance addition to fireball - that would also enforce it as our main filler spell whereas currently scorch is way too good for fire, doing almost as much dps as fireball filler.
    You're excited that good mages have to play a spec that they might fucking hate?

http://www.wow-heroes.com/character/us/Arthas/shmek/

I'm clearly not a noskill mage. I love fire, now I have to play frost.

Deleted
    You're excited that good mages have to play a spec that they might fucking hate?

Ignore him, he's always making sour posts about fire and lording it up because he's "such a fantastic frost player"

Not even a mage here apart from my little alt but Hahaha how ridiculous. The patch was for weeks on the ptr yet these balancing changes appear in form of a hotfix. So Blizzard.

Expected, the combustion one at least. The crit. one is.... vexing. Why the fuck don't they reintroduce the 3 sec. pyro CD as well as removing the movement component from scorch, just to throw some salt in the wound, while they're at it?

At this point I just wish they'd get their shit straight already and start doing proper number-crunching before releasing a patch... I'm just tired of getting my numbers juggled all the damn time.

Ah well, with fire I start with fire I end, no amount of nerfs will make me change from the spec I love.

Quote Originally Posted by whoranzone View Post
    Not even a mage here apart from my little alt but Hahaha how ridiculous. The patch was for weeks on the ptr yet these balancing changes appear in form of a hotfix. So Blizzard.
    The way they work. It's just not respectful.

I'd prefer if all the specs were balanced, but honestly I am excited to see fire mages eat some of their own medicine, yes.

top 10 ranks at 489 as a highly-played spec, that actually is pretty impressive. As I said the nerf does seem excessive, I hope they can tweak the numbers so that fire is just brought in line with frost/arc and not below them.

That aside you may be good but that doesnt negate the fact that fire's skill cap is pathetically low. I'm talking about patchwerk single target dps, but honestly its low for high movement as well because of how good scorch is. Frost's skill cap (imo) is even a little low compared to some specs (DoC Feral, for example). My problem isn't that fire's dps is high or that it's skill cap is low.. my problem is that its the easiest to play AND the best dps which should never be the case (imo ofcourse). They've done a *great* job with the balance with feral talents for example. DoC is the hardest and when executed correctly is the best dps. HoTW and NV are both good and competitive in DPS but a little worse in exchange for added utility cooldowns and being a little easier to play.

Game design is complex, but its not THAT hard to just reduce the coefficients to bring fire in line, rather than hotfixing massive sweeping nerfs. Blizzard makes me tired..

---------- Post added 2012-12-01 at 01:54 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ogFrenikk View Post
    Ignore him, he's always making sour posts about fire and lording it up because he's "such a fantastic frost player"
    I make sour posts about everything, to be fair

Quote Originally Posted by dennisdkramer View Post
    I'd prefer if all the specs were balanced, but honestly I am excited to see fire mages eat some of their own medicine, yes.

top 10 ranks at 489 as a highly-played spec, that actually is pretty impressive. As I said the nerf does seem excessive, I hope they can tweak the numbers so that fire is just brought in line with frost/arc and not below them.

That aside you may be good but that doesnt negate the fact that fire's skill cap is pathetically low. I'm talking about patchwerk single target dps, but honestly its low for high movement as well because of how good scorch is. Frost's skill cap (imo) is even a little low compared to some specs (DoC Feral, for example). My problem isn't that fire's dps is high or that it's skill cap is low.. my problem is that its the easiest to play AND the best dps which should never be the case (imo ofcourse). They've done a *great* job with the balance with feral talents for example. DoC is the hardest and when executed correctly is the best dps. HoTW and NV are both good and competitive in DPS but a little worse in exchange for added utility cooldowns and being a little easier to play.

Game design is complex, but its not THAT hard to just reduce the coefficients to bring fire in line, rather than hotfixing massive sweeping nerfs. Blizzard makes me tired..

---------- Post added 2012-12-01 at 01:54 AM ----------

I make sour posts about everything, to be fair

I disagree about the skill cap being low. Fire is easy to play, it is hard to master. Going for top 10 parses on a fire mage you not only have to play exceptionally well, but you have to deal with RNG more so than any other class. I could write a several page guide on how to play fire mage and still feel like I missed things.

Frost and arcane are harder to play, and easier to master. At least in my opinion. I find both of them simple and boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dennis, you have to understand that good players will never mind the difficulty of a spec. All specs are easy enough to play that for a decent player it's never that part of the game difficulty that matters. Some just want to play a particular spec, which is cool. Personally I have absolutley no trouble playing any mage spec, but I strongly prefer fire as there is something rather satisfying about launching molten balls at my opponents.

Edit: Speaking as someone that has gotten several top 10 (and a couple of rank 1) parses this tier.
    Armory
    Twitter
    Altered-Time.com - the #1 Mage Theorycrafting community.

I disagree about the skill cap being low. Fire is easy to play, it is hard to master. Going for top 10 parses on a fire mage you not only have to play exceptionally well, but you have to deal with RNG more so than any other class. I could write a several page guide on how to play fire mage and still feel like I missed things.

Frost and arcane are harder to play, and easier to master. At least in my opinion. I find both of them simple and boring.
    I share your feeling on that. Frost is the most boring, it's pretty rigid how to optimize it, there's only a few obvious tricks you can do. Arcane at least has some level of min/maxing regarding procs and mana management, but being so static and awkward if not bad for most aoe situations bring it to the boring zone for me.

As an arcane mage maybe now I won't have to listen to as much ..."You need to respec fire"

Doing lfr right now. The 50% combustion nerf feels a lot more like 75%. I can't get it past 20k anymore, even with good rng.