Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Is the MMO Genre in trouble?

So I saw the 50 page thread about WoW' numbers dropping and Im thinking its just not related to only WoW. I think people are tired of the same old MMO theme and then you have the fact nothing halfway decent other than Rift has even been released since WoW has made a lot of people stop playing online games. Also please dont pull that crap about how D3 was the best selling PC game we all know how it turned out, and we all know there probably arent even 15% of people who bought the game still playing...and no bots dont count so actually theres probably only 5-10% of REAL people actually still playing. Im talking about amount of people STILL PLAYING not how many box copies were sold.

So you are left with WoW thats been out for 8 years now and people are tired of it. Especially since instead of increasing the game's difficulty to keep people motivated and challenged so they stay interested in the game and want to keep playing they have just dumbed it down to basically "OK I just hit max level just mail my my epics...thanks" The game has become like playing Madden and setting all your players' stats to 100. Sure you faceroll every team you play but it gets old after a while. Burnout combined with nothing else worth playing means people doing other things. D3 started out with 30-40K public games and now never more than 500 even during prime time. Also the AH is pretty much dead especially the RMAH. Have to relist items that are even a few million cheaper than something with similar stats several times just because no one is buying them even though they have good stats. My GW2 server was one of the largest and had queues for hours to do WvWvW. Now I hardly see anyone in the crafting areas or the banks in major cities and the queues are instant. SW:ToR was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread and fell flat on its face. Its like BioWare took everything that made other MMOs great and fun and said "nope not going in our game"

So are MMOs just getting more and more stale and are more people quitting them for console FPS games or games like D3, LoL, or DoTA2? Or are MMOs fine and the losses from WoW are just spread out among other MMOs like Rift and GW2 so players just switched games but are still playing MMOs.
    Last edited by Lilly32; 2012-12-01 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Topic was unclear and misunderstood

No, it's not. You just picked a bunch of shit games to list
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    and the free come back to MoP email I just got means I thinking the expansion isnt going the way they wanted and Q4 numbers are going to be released and show another drop in players.
    I hope you realise they have been doing this since vanilla right?

That largely depends on your definition of what "failing" is. Out of the things you listed, I only see two that I would actually consider a "fail," and that's more just because I personally don't like them (AION and Diablo 3, if you're curious).

Quote Originally Posted by Pfeff View Post
    No, it's not. You just picked a bunch of shit games to list
    What other MMOs did I leave out?

OK Tera Online. They just merged all their servers into one for each type (RP, PvP, PvE)

What am I missing that has loads of people playing it.

the fact nothing halfway decent other than Rift has even been released since WoW has made
    I stopped reading right there. There have been many successful games since WoW has been released. Just because you don't like those games doesn't mean they failed.

OK Tera Online. They just merged all their servers into one for each type (RP, PvP, PvE)

If you're targeting MMOs specifically, then why is Diablo 3 in that list?

Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    That largely depends on your definition of what "failing" is. Out of the things you listed, I only see two that I would actually consider a "fail," and that's more just because I personally don't like them (AION and Diablo 3, if you're curious).
    This is not another "What games have failed" thread.

This is a discussion about if online gaming is declining.

---------- Post added 2012-12-01 at 10:40 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    If you're targeting MMOs specifically, then why is Diablo 3 in that list?
    Umm because you have to be online to play it? The title was is online gaming in trouble. Not MMOs.

if they failed, you would see "Blizzard shutdown Diablo III this week" etc., if they still have a handful of players that still play, (10+mil is not normal. 50k to 500k is normal) it's still succeeding even if you think the game is fail, other people might not think the same

This is not another "What games have failed" thread.

This is a discussion about if online gaming is declining.
    Forgive me, I figured you could make the leap to my opinion on the topic by what I said. Apparently, I was wrong. My apologies.

No, I do not think online gaming is declining.

---------- Post added 2012-12-01 at 05:44 AM ----------

Umm because you have to be online to play it? The title was is online gaming in trouble. Not MMOs.
    But you specifically said, "What other MMOs did I leave out?" If you're counting games that have online play capabilities, then your list just got a whole hell of a lot longer and I don't see what the purpose of the thread is anymore. Online shooters are still hugely popular, for example.
    Last edited by Oerba Yun Fang; 2012-12-01 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shink View Post
    if they failed, you would see "Blizzard shutdown Diablo III this week" etc., if they still have a handful of players that still play, (10+mil is not normal. 50k to 500k is normal) it's still succeeding even if you think the game is fail, other people might not think the same
    I asked "ARE LESS PEOPLE PLAYING ONLINE GAMES" I think there was another thread about games that people thought failed. Im talking about online gaming in general which means all of them lumped together. Are less people playing online games. The fact that D3 sold like 10+ million copies and Im 100% sure theres no where near that many people still playing leads me to belive less people are playing online games. The same is true with the massive loss of players during Cata, seeing dead servers in GW2 that were once full. I dont care what people's opinions on certain games are. That IS NOT the toopic being discussed. Im intersted in if less people are playing online games and if so what might be the reasons as to why.

Deleted
    Online game is healthy as ever.

Specifically to MMOs we're seeing that as more of them get released its harder for any single one of them to hold many members. Some don't even rely on the subscription method anymore.

As for Diablo 3, although it wasn't a clean launch (and I personally don't play D3, I opted to go for Torchlight 2 instead) I'm sure we can agree that it wasn't a failure. It sold massive amounts and is improving with recent patches.

Quote Originally Posted by User007 View Post
    Online game is healthy as ever.

Specifically to MMOs we're seeing that as more of them get released its harder for any single one of them to hold many members. Some don't even rely on the subscription method anymore.

As for Diablo 3, although it wasn't a clean launch (and I personally don't play D3, I opted to go for Torchlight 2 instead) I'm sure we can agree that it wasn't a failure. It sold massive amounts and is improving with recent patches.
    So then every single person that bought the game is still playing? If not then my theory about less people playing online games isnt wrong.

You should then be asking "Are MMO's in trouble?" which is a much more specific question, and has the opposite answer of yes...they all suck now
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

Deleted
    Guild Wars 2: FAIL
    Eh, how?

The game's doing fairly well. Almost every server has a high population.

10+ Year Old Account
    Counter Strike is still going strong.

Or is it fantasy based online games only?

Especially since instead of increasing the game's difficulty to keep people motivated and challenged so they stay interested in the game and want to keep playing they have just dumbed it down to basically "OK I just hit max level just mail my my epics...thanks"
    Yeah. Nowadays every player clear all content in one month at most. Damn blizzard dumbing down encounters. #sadfeelings

I wouldn't call the games a fail as such but more the companies behind them just being greedy and complacent, Swtor, tera being 2 that i have played and enjoyed but left because there was no sign that problems were being fixed and that the content that was coming was just the same old stuff.
    If they didn't feel they had to stick to the formula that wow has used for years and succeeded with then things might be different but any time a game try's something new it's always called a fail because people compare it to wow...as with almost every mmo i've tried since

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Eh, how?

The game's doing fairly well. Almost every server has a high population.
    Then where is everyone and why are WvW queus no longer hours long but usually instant?

Online gaming is healthier than it has ever been, there are more scrubs play CoD/Fifa on their consoles than all those games added together at peak activity. What's changed is that online gaming isn't linked to just PC's anymore whilst PC gaming appears to becoming more of a niche thing for us super elite dudes.

OP needs to make a new title me thinks.....