The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Cadmium and you!

We all have that one person in our lives, you know, the person who loves to collect things, usually because of a pair of sentimental and rarity values. I am one of those folks, always have been and based on 23 years of my life and it not stopping, it's likely I always will be.

There is one thing though, that I wonder about the safety...

(Click on the picture, imgur is being weird right now)

The art on the bottles apparently has cadmium in it, I'm wondering, since the Wikipedia article on cadmium isn't helping much, if any of you have taken chemistry (I never did) and would know the likely or unlikely danger of this.

Thanks for any help! ^_^

(For folks who are into beer but don't know, or just generally anyone who wants to know, this is essentially the trifecta of the Arrogant Bastard Ales by Stone Brewing Company, Double Bastard it seems is I believe a seasonal, while the Lucky Bastard is "when they feel like it" and the Arrogant Bastard Ale is a year-round.)
    Last edited by Anakso; 2012-12-02 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Fixed picture
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Cadmium is a highly toxic metal. Its salts are also highly toxic and most of them are very carcinogenic. Cadmium poisoning can cause cancer and targets the body’s cardiovascular, renal, gastrointestinal, neurological, reproductive, and respiratory systems. Cadmium pigments were introduced in the early 80s because the pigments do not fade as much as other pigments at that time (in particular yellows and reds).

You mainly get Cd poisoning by inhaling cadmium salt and metal dust and consuming contaminated foods. You are unlikely to inhale a lethal dose from a beer bottle label, but you may want to wrap the bottles in cling-film or something and making sure that the labels don't start to deteriorate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks dear Butler Log!

Yay I'm gonna diiiieeeee. x_x I guess I'll just try to not touch them too often. :P I s'pose one has to wonder how much cadmium is actually in the logos, though.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    We all have that one person in our lives, you know, the person who loves to collect things, usually because of a pair of sentimental and rarity values. I am one of those folks, always have been and based on 23 years of my life and it not stopping, it's likely I always will be.

There is one thing though, that I wonder about the safety...

(Click on the picture, imgur is being weird right now)

The art on the bottles apparently has cadmium in it, I'm wondering, since the Wikipedia article on cadmium isn't helping much, if any of you have taken chemistry (I never did) and would know the likely or unlikely danger of this.

Thanks for any help! ^_^

(For folks who are into beer but don't know, or just generally anyone who wants to know, this is essentially the trifecta of the Arrogant Bastard Ales by Stone Brewing Company, Double Bastard it seems is I believe a seasonal, while the Lucky Bastard is "when they feel like it" and the Arrogant Bastard Ale is a year-round.)
    I would certainly assume, since it's not illegal to purchase the beer, that there's not enough to actually harm you. Hell, think of the people in the factory making the labels, they are around the stuff everyday and it's not like governments are telling them to stop using it.

Just don't lick the bottles and you should be fine :P Also what Butler Log said, make sure they don't deteriorate.
    It all depends on how much Cadmium is used on them.

I would certainly assume, since it's not illegal to purchase the beer, that there's not enough to actually harm you. Hell, think of the people in the factory making the labels, they are around the stuff everyday and it's not like governments are telling them to stop using it.
    Actually, Cadmium is being removed from production in many countries.

http://www.actio.net/default/index.c...ned-in-europe/

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the replies so far guys! I'm learning stuff! :P
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Actually, Cadmium is being removed from production in many countries.

http://www.actio.net/default/index.c...ned-in-europe/
    If it's as toxic as I hear, I'm surprised it took them this long to do so.

It probably should be okay as long as you don't touch the bottles often. Though for safety I'd recommend keeping them somewhere that you don't spend a great deal of time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    If it's as toxic as I hear, I'm surprised it took them this long to do so.

It probably should be okay as long as you don't touch the bottles often. Though for safety I'd recommend keeping them somewhere that you don't spend a great deal of time.
    lol they're on a shelf with like 60 other beer bottles (likely most not having cadmium) next to my computer desk. haha

Desk on the left, then shelf, then dog, then drumset. My cave. :P
    "A flower.

Keep them out of doggie-licking reach.

10+ Year Old Account
    Keep them out of doggie-licking reach.
    Awesome thing I've noticed is my dogs don't really give a shit about the bottles!
    "A flower.

Cadmium is a highly toxic metal. Its salts are also highly toxic and most of them are very carcinogenic. Cadmium poisoning can cause cancer and targets the body’s cardiovascular, renal, gastrointestinal, neurological, reproductive, and respiratory systems. Cadmium pigments were introduced in the early 80s because the pigments do not fade as much as other pigments at that time (in particular yellows and reds).

You mainly get Cd poisoning by inhaling cadmium salt and metal dust and consuming contaminated foods. You are unlikely to inhale a lethal dose from a beer bottle label, but you may want to wrap the bottles in cling-film or something and making sure that the labels don't start to deteriorate.
    It makes you wonder how something like that could have been used as a pigment in the 21st century in the developed world.

Fear mongering. Ive done work at their plant, I know how its used and it is not dangerous. There is more Cadmium coming out of your cars tailpipe after four engine revolutions than is used in that label.