Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Overclock i5 3570k

Hi. I am trying to overclock my i5 3570k, and as of now I am testing to see where I can push it. I stopped at a 39 multiplier. When I have booted it, even starting from a 35 multiplier, Core Temp does not display the multiplier at anything other than 34.

Can anyone help? Is my computer NOT booting up with the proper multiplier?

You have to put a load on it. Intel automatically throttles down if theres no load. Use Prime95, youll see it go up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaynith View Post
    You have to put a load on it. Intel automatically throttles down if theres no load. Use Prime95, youll see it go up.
    I ran Prime 95 and the speeds are still at 3.4ghz.

Did you save the settings changed in BIOS when you restarted, or did you simply exit BIOS and restart?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Did you save the settings changed in BIOS when you restarted, or did you simply exit BIOS and restart?
    I saved it, then rebooted. I am going to update the BIOS now.

Which motherboard is this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Which motherboard is this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130653

Right. Cooler you have?

10+ Year Old Account
    Right. Cooler you have?
    I have the Hyper 212.

Deleted
    I suggest looking for something like "intel speedstepping technology" and disable it in your BIOS. If that doesn't help, all I can think of is that you're not saving your settings, or that you're not giving your processor enough voltages to push it, and perhaps your BIOS automatically resets the multiplier then or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalosaurus View Post
    I suggest looking for something like "intel speedstepping technology" and disable it in your BIOS. If that doesn't help, all I can think of is that you're not saving your settings, or that you're not giving your processor enough voltages to push it, and perhaps your BIOS automatically resets the multiplier then or something.
    Ok. I will go check that.

There is no option for Intel Speedstepping Technology. There is one for Intel Virtualization Tech and OverSpeed Technology. I have Intel Virtual Enabled and OverSpeed disabled.
    Last edited by Klutzington; 2012-12-02 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Klutzington View Post
    Ok. I will go check that.
    Not really and he was wrong. Disable "enhanced turbo" and "Adjust ratio in OS"

Should fix it.

Set your cpu voltage to 1.25V and play with the cpu ratio. In your bios "Adjust cpu ratio" play with this one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really and he was wrong. Disable "enhanced turbo" and "Adjust ratio in OS"

Should fix it.

Set your cpu voltage to 1.25V and play with the cpu ratio. In your bios "Adjust cpu ratio" play with this one.
    Ok. I will get back to you in ~3 minutes.

EDIT: Those were both already disabled.

Also, where it says CPU Core Voltage, the options are +.00, +.02, +.04, etc. How exactly would I increase it to 1.25volts?
    Last edited by Klutzington; 2012-12-02 at 08:16 PM.

Deleted
    You don't need Intel Virtualization Technology unless you're running virtual machines (and I don't mean a VM like in microsoft virtual pc, but actually running "2 computers on 1 machine").

Overspeed Technology is some kind of protection for the CPU if I'm not mistaken. It probably won't hurt to keep that enabled.

I have no experience with overclocking on your specific motherboard so I don't know what the BIOS is like. All I know is that since Sandy Bridge and onwards, it has become incredibly easy to overclock an intel processor.

1 Question, are you only changing the multiplier? Because that probably won't work anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't need Intel Virtualization Technology unless you're running virtual machines (and I don't mean a VM like in microsoft virtual pc, but actually running "2 computers on 1 machine").

Overspeed Technology is some kind of protection for the CPU if I'm not mistaken. It probably won't hurt to keep that enabled.

I have no experience with overclocking on your specific motherboard so I don't know what the BIOS is like. All I know is that since Sandy Bridge and onwards, it has become incredibly easy to overclock an intel processor.

1 Question, are you only changing the multiplier? Because that probably won't work anyways.
    Yes. I am only changing the multiplier and not the base clock of 100MHz.

10+ Year Old Account
    make sure you are overclocking "by all cores"

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok. Am I doing this wrong? Could someone go by a more-or-less step by step way to overclock? I have followed all of your suggestions and my overclock is still not showing up in Core Temp, even when I run Prime 95.

Deleted
    I think I found your biggest problem, Core Temp it's a completely inaccurate program. I used it once with a widget to show my clock rate and it just showed the stock clock rate of the cpu, rather than the actual clock rate.

use : http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
    Last edited by mmoccd637925f1; 2012-12-02 at 08:40 PM. Reason: spelling

10+ Year Old Account
    CPU-Z shows the same thing.

34 multiplier.

I think I found your biggest problem, Core Temp it's a completely inaccurate program. I used it once with a widget to show my clock rate and it just showed the stock clock rate of the cpu, rather than the actual clock rate.

use : http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
    Or Intel adaptive thermal monitor is enabled. This option was downclocking my 5GHz to 4.5GHz and I was very curious why I was getting lower scores.. Was starting to downclock my cpu when it's around 70°, hence why I've asked his cooler. >.<

I'm kinda not familiar with that bios though.

Also you have to rather bump the stock voltage with 0.02 etc. Just check at how much vcore it's actually running in the bios and add it.

Make sure you disable spread spectrum this causes instability.

This is the fix I think: Set CPU Core OCP expander from default to enhanced

Edit: A major big advise I can give you is this. Make sure the Vcore is exactly the same in CPU-z as you set in bios. So if you set it to 1.2V for example, you want a 1.2V in CPU-z. But lets get later on this..
    Last edited by Faithh; 2012-12-02 at 08:52 PM.