Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think the biggest issue here is that people hit on people in game, shit is so weird I mean isn't it better to meet someone in RL.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

10+ Year Old Account
    I chose a female character when I began playing because for the most part I think they are just more appealing. The Draenei female looks a lot better than the males do. Of course that is just my opinion, and many people do not share my beliefs.

I only have one male character; a 40-50 rogue that I just have a hard time playing. I really can't tell if it's because I just don't really like rogues, or if it is because he is male. It just comes down to personal preference. Live and let live I guess. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Newbryn View Post
    I think the biggest issue here is that people hit on people in game, shit is so weird I mean isn't it better to meet someone in RL.
    Yes, if you like extremely awkward situations that often go downhill--sometimes years after the fact. At least online you can be a bit more open and enjoy getting to know someone without fear of an expensive night out absolutely failing. In fact, I imagine it'd be more organic in nature than the typical "dating scene". The idea that "real-life" interactions are superior to those found in digital worlds is a fallacy up to a certain point.

I say up to a certain point because while dating might be more frustrating out in the real world, being able to hold someone ultimately, to be there for them in the flesh, is something the virtual realm can never achieve as much as it might try.

My first main was a male character, and except for about two or three, all the others have been female. You know why? The males look terrible unless they're wearing plate. A male shaman looks weird. A male druid looks awful. Male mages look like something that shouldn't exist. Their models are bad except if you need a bulky tank character, and their animations are way worse. I don't stare at my character all day whenever I'm playing, but when I have to look at the model I don't want to see something half-assed or just plain bad when I could choose a female model and see more fluidity.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxJr View Post
    if you have the choice to be a man or a woman and you choose a woman then theres something wrong with you, so if you are a dude what is the reasoning behind you wanting to be represented by a chick in a game? are you gay, do you want to be treated better or idk you tell me whats the reason?
    A lot of people play female characters because their models look much better than their male counterparts for races. Same with the spell or melee animations. Before Pandaren, and having a lot of class/race combos introduced into the game you didn't have many options. Draenei shaman ring a bell? To a lot of people male draenei shaman look horrendous, so they picked female.

Personally, I'm a woman who plays all female characters but I do know several women who actually play MALE characters in game for their mains. I do hear the whole "I want to look at a woman's ass when I play in game since I'll be staring at the character" excuse a lot though. I don't really get that reasoning as you shouldn't be staring at the butt of your character when playing actively. I guess it's during down time? That's the only time I'm really paying remote attention to mine when I'm in a city bored in between activities.
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.
    Melodi, Resto Druid

Deleted
    Most guys I know play female characters.

I'm female and I play male tauren.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    Yes, if you like extremely awkward situations that often go downhill--sometimes years after the fact. At least online you can be a bit more open and enjoy getting to know someone without fear of an expensive night out absolutely failing. In fact, I imagine it'd be more organic in nature than the typical "dating scene". The idea that "real-life" interactions are superior to those found in digital worlds is a fallacy up to a certain point.

I say up to a certain point because while dating might be more frustrating out in the real world, being able to hold someone ultimately, to be there for them in the flesh, is something the virtual realm can never achieve as much as it might try.
    I really only brought it up mainly because it's something I don't really understand its so much easier for me to read a person face to face. I can really only play online with people I know in RL guess you could say its fear of the unknown.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

I stick with males cause I just feel weird playing a female. Personal opinion. I get that most guys like playing female toons for whatever reason, and I've come to just accept it. But in my opinion, I think it's gotten a bit more weird with transmog. I see a lot of blood elf females walking around transmogged into...very revealing clothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a male with 11/11 female toons on my home realm, I always felt the males were faaaaaaaaar too exaggerated for my tastes. Granted, so are the females, but... Only in ways you can't exactly see from behind.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MordorFires View Post
    I stick with males cause I just feel weird playing a female. Personal opinion. I get that most guys like playing female toons for whatever reason, and I've come to just accept it. But in my opinion, I think it's gotten a bit more weird with transmog. I see a lot of blood elf females walking around transmogged into...very revealing clothing.
    *cough* http://www.wowhead.com/item=10845/warriors-embrace *cough*
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

Better than being a Guardian Druid and staring at bear butt all day!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Newbryn View Post
    I really only brought it up mainly because it's something I don't really understand its so much easier for me to read a person face to face. I can really only play online with people I know in RL guess you could say its fear of the unknown.
    My friends and family, at this time, are outside of games by and large with a couple of exceptions. Playing online for me requires me to essentially work with and learn about new peoples. I don't think that'll ever change for me, it's difficult to reach out beyond your immediate pool.

However, you could entirely bypass this experience and choose an exclusively character-orientated online lifestyle--hardcore role-playing in other words. Done a bit of that in my time. No need to get to know anyone personally if you're that afraid of branching out.

I don't play the opposite gender in MMOs and neither does my husband, but plenty of our friends do at least on some toons and it's not a big deal. I do think the "so I don't stare at a guy's ass" excuse is pretty lame, but I think that's a easier/less pervy way of saying because the female avatar is hot/cute and they'd like some eye candy. Nothing wrong with that, but maybe that way of saying it is kind of a copout cliche at this point.

What I've gotten from the responses (and OP even) from this thread: "Guys who play girl toons are gay. I'm not secure enough in my sexuality so I feel threatened by anything I perceive as abnormal. Also, I'm young enough that I feel hitting on someone on the internet is awesome and encouraged. Of course, when I found out that hawt female Draenei is actually a man I'll call him a faggot and tell the other trolls in trade chat that 'LOL (x) PLAYS A FEMALE TOON BUT IS REALLY A GUY LOL WAT A FAG!!"

I play male and female toons, I'm a successful straight male. Why do I play female toons? Because it's my fucking $15/month and I'll do with it whatever the fuck I feel like. Grow up, homophobes.

10+ Year Old Account
    First thing you have got to ask yourself is.... what's it to you? It's clear you're either very young or overly conservative, it's a non-issue. Most of my old toons are female, the hitting on thing is rare and if it ever happens (can't remember it ever actually happening to me) chances are it will be ignored, actually, you have to ask yourself why someone would hit on another stranger based on the gender of their character alone, without knowing what lurks behind the keyboard... now that's actually a worry.
    HOOKED ON DIABLOL, GOOD TIMES ARE BEING HAD

Quote Originally Posted by Davendwarf View Post
    LOL I'm female and I use that top on my undead female DK. So preeety with her saggy boobs and spine sticking out. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Priestiality View Post
    What I've gotten from the responses (and OP even) from this thread: "Guys who play girl toons are gay. I'm not secure enough in my sexuality so I feel threatened by anything I perceive as abnormal. Also, I'm young enough that I feel hitting on someone on the internet is awesome and encouraged. Of course, when I found out that hawt female Draenei is actually a man I'll call him a faggot and tell the other trolls in trade chat that 'LOL (x) PLAYS A FEMALE TOON BUT IS REALLY A GUY LOL WAT A FAG!!"

I play male and female toons, I'm a successful straight male. Why do I play female toons? Because it's my fucking $15/month and I'll do with it whatever the fuck I feel like. Grow up, homophobes.
    I lul'd so hard on the last paragraph.

Deleted
    My Paladin is a female human (im male irl). I didn't created a female toon coz of the reason you stated, i just like the way female cast spells bla bla bla( it was a Male BElf before Ftransf to Ally Human). IF i was going to Race Transfer her again(i don't think so coz i stopped playing WoW for some days), it will be a Female BElf due to the casting style and Gear appearance!

Quote Originally Posted by ryotte View Post
    LOL I'm female and I use that top on my undead female DK. So preeety with her saggy boobs and spine sticking out. :P
    Gross. Just gross. This is why I am Alliance.

My shaman is a female draenei. Why you might ask? It's simple draenei are the only race for alliance I like as a shaman and I hate the males look and animations. My priest is a female belf. Same reason I like her casting animations.

What I don't get is the people that make slutty transmog sets.