Thread: NCAA football

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I was looking at the rankings, and the end result is mostly the same, except for the 4 & 5 being swapped, so... still no clue what you're referring to, is it just fun to blame a computer?
    No, but it can be necessary. Computers look at teams differently than humans do, that's why the discrepancy is there. That's why they call it "the eye test". It's debatable on which one is more accurate, but it's definitely a difference. Maybe not this year specifically as much, but there is. That's one of the reasons people call for getting rid of the BCS. They want the computer poll gone too.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just think only THIRTY SIX days until the National Championship. God the NCAA is a joke. Imagine if the last game of the NFL playoffs was at the end of January and then the Super Bowl was in mid-March or if the NCAA basketball conference tourneys ended in march and then the big tourney was in May.

NIU finishes 15th, gets an automatic bid to a BCS bowl. God knows that should be an SEC team in there, but what can you do.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-12-03 at 01:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Conscript, you're right on both accounts. Fortunately, the four-team playoff should close that gap a little (right?). But do coaches think that bowl games aren't important? Is it the coach's decision to skip out on his team before they play their last game, or is it the prospective employer that says "you have to come here NOW"?

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    NIU getting into a BCS bowl is a joke smh what is wrong with college football they need a commissioner bad.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Conscript, you're right on both accounts. Fortunately, the four-team playoff should close that gap a little (right?). But do coaches think that bowl games aren't important? Is it the coach's decision to skip out on his team before they play their last game, or is it the prospective employer that says "you have to come here NOW"?
    I have no clue so I deleted that part of my post. I thought it was the new school that said you can't but apparently the NIU coach is going to coach the bowl game.

BCS National Championship: Notre Dame vs Alabama
    Fiesta: Kansas St vs Oregon
    Sugar: Florida vs Lousiville (lol blowout)
    Orange: Florida St vs NIU
    Rose: Wisconsin vs Stanford
    Go Daddy: Kent St vs Ark St
    BBVA Compass: Old Miss vs Pitt
    Cotton: Oklahoma vs Texas AM
    Heart of Dallas: Purdue vs Oklahoma St (70 point blowout?)
    Outback: Michigan vs South Carolina
    Gator: Northwestern vs Miss St
    Capital One: Nebraska vs Georgia
    Sun: Georgia Tech vs USC
    Music City: NC State vs Vandy
    Liberty: Tulsa vs Iowa St
    Chick-fil-A: Clemson vs LSU
    Pinstripe: WVU vs Syracuse
    Kraft: AZ St vs Navy
    Buffalo Wild Wings: TCU vs Michigan St
    Armed Forces: Air Force vs Rice
    Alamo: Texas vs Oregon St
    Russell: Rutgers vs Va Tech
    Meinieke: Texas Tech vs Minnesota
    Independence: Ohio vs LA-Monroe
    Holiday: UCLA vs Baylor
    Belk: Cinncy vs Duke (Duke qualified for a bowl?!)
    Hawaii: Fresno vs SMU
    New Orleans: UL-Lafayette vs ECU
    Las Vegas: Boise St vs Washington
    Beef O Brady's: Ball St vs UCF
    Poinsetta SDSU vs BYU
    New Mexico: Nevada vs Arizona
    Idaho: Toledo vs Utah St
    Little Ceasers and Military don't have an announced MAC school yet to play Western Kentucky and SJSU respectively.

The reason you don't see the SEC full of high scoring offenses is because offense doesn't win you National Championships. The SEC has proven time and again that a great defense combined with an offense that doesn't make mistakes, can control the ball, and score just enough points wins the game.

Take a look at Arkansas in years prior to this one ( and even this year somewhat) . They had one of the best offenses in the country, could put up some pretty big numbers against so pretty good teams, but they couldn't get enough stops to beat teams like LSU and Alabama. The best year they had was also the best defense they had under Petrino, and it wasn't that great. Even going back to the Houston Nutt era, his best seasons were those where he had really solid defenses and decent offenses.

The SEC in general worries about defense first and offense second. The side affect to that is alot of skill players go to other conferences like the Pac 12 because its much more wide open.

15+ Year Old Account
    Early Vegas lines on the Bowls:
    Alabama (-8.5)
    Oregon (-3)
    Stanford (-6.5)
    Florida (-16.5) Hilarious
    FSU (-7)

---------- Post added 2012-12-02 at 09:06 PM ----------

Wisconsin first 5 loss team in the Rose Bowl ever.

This was pointed out by Dan Wetzel on twitter, all this whining by ESPN is bullshit. The reason the rule allowing NIU in exists because the BCS created it to settle an antitrust lawsuit from the lower conferences in order for the corrupt system to continue to exist. ESPN should shut the hell up considering the millions and millions of dollars they make off the BCS every year in tv contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    I have no clue so I deleted that part of my post. I thought it was the new school that said you can't but apparently the NIU coach is going to coach the bowl game.

BCS National Championship: Notre Dame vs Alabama
    Fiesta: Kansas St vs Oregon
    Rose: Wisconsin vs Stanford
    Go Daddy: Kent St vs Ark St
    BBVA Compass: Old Miss vs Pitt
    Cotton: Oklahoma vs Texas AM
    Outback: Michigan vs South Carolina
    Capital One: Nebraska vs Georgia
    Sun: Georgia Tech vs USC
    Liberty: Tulsa vs Iowa St
    Chick-fil-A: Clemson vs LSU
    Kraft: AZ St vs Navy
    Buffalo Wild Wings: TCU vs Michigan St
    Armed Forces: Air Force vs Rice
    Russell: Rutgers vs Va Tech
    Meinieke: Texas Tech vs Minnesota
    Independence: Ohio vs LA-Monroe
    Belk: Cinncy vs Duke (Duke qualified for a bowl?!)
    New Orleans: UL-Lafayette vs ECU
    Beef O Brady's: Ball St vs UCF
    Poinsetta SDSU vs BYU
    New Mexico: Nevada vs Arizona
    Idaho: Toledo vs Utah St
    Little Ceasers and Military don't have an announced MAC school yet to play Western Kentucky and SJSU respectively.
    How the hell does Western Kentucky get into a bowl game with a worse record than Middle Tennessee State? Looks like my Raiders got screwed by the Sunbelt for changing conferences.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Having what amounts to an automatic bid to the title game is bullshit. There's no actual evidence or even a particularly good reason to believe that Alabama's better than K State. K State beat five ranked teams, and beat four of them by at least two touchdowns.

Alabama's demonstrated that they have trouble dealing with any quarterback that's even semi-competent throwing the ball, and seem vulnerable to the spread as well. If they couldn't stop Texas A&M, I find it very difficult to believe they'd be fine against Oregon or Kansas State.

In the end, I believe Alabama's probably the best team in the country. I just find it frustrating that they haven't really had to do much to show that to be the case. I wish like hell we had the four team system.
    Did you seen ESPN's faux "draft" for the four game event? Pretty interesting analysis.

10+ Year Old Account
    According to Louisiana Tech's facebook page, they finished 9-3 with the nation's best offense and are not getting a bowl invite. Truthfully they turned down the Independence Bowl.
    Not completely true. The Indy Bowl asked them to decide early whether or not they wanted to play in the I-Bowl against ULM. Tech asked to let them see how everything shakes out before making a decision, and the I-Bowl said no. If NIU hadn't busted the BCS, then Tech would be going to either the Liberty or Heart of Dallas Bowl (old Cotton Bowl). Granted, it may have been safer to play it humble and just go to the I-Bowl, but it's pretty shitty that their committee tried to force Tech to make a decision so early.

Truthfully, if anyone is to blame, it's Sonny Dykes. He buried his head in the sand when it came to the defense, never once stepping in to make changes when it was blatantly obvious that Tommy Spangler's (their retard DC) shit schemes weren't working. He admittedly only cares about offense. If he had done his full job by ensuring that Tech at least had a defense ranked lower than 90, then his team would likely be undefeated and headed to the Orange Bowl. His inability to field a complete team has hurt their program, and it's hurt his chances at moving up to a bigger program.

NIU getting a BCS bid over Oklahoma is a travesty.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Wisconsin being in a BCS bowl is just as bad IMO.

10+ Year Old Account

Yeah but you see coaches do that sometimes, skip the bowl game for their new school.

The games I quoted you with I predict will be blowouts. And Louisiana Tech is out of a bowl, going 9-3 for nothing apparently.

Yeah but you see coaches do that sometimes, skip the bowl game for their new school.

The games I quoted you with I predict will be blowouts. And Louisiana Tech is out of a bowl, going 9-3 for nothing apparently.
    There is some pretty crazy stuff going on this year. LT and MTSU both not going while a 7-5 WKU team is.

I can't believe im saying this, but for all that is good and holy, Alabama better firmly stamp Notre Dame into the dirt. Nothing is worse than having the Irish in the title game.

Great to see Purdue going bowling at least, but......this isnt going to be pretty. Esp with an iterim head coach.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

We(Louisiana-Lafayette) had our first ever FBS bowl last year, and we won it. And now we're going to the New Orleans bowl again. for a second straight year. Last year was a damn good game, hopefully it's going be another good game this year.

It's amazing how Coach Hudspeth took a team that was predicted to finish last out of the 120 FBS schools last year and took them to their first bowl victory ever and another bowl game this year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    everybody has seen Oklahoma lose enough of them already

My Gamecocks going back to the Outback, seems like a 2nd home for us. Lol

10+ Year Old Account
    No, but it can be necessary. Computers look at teams differently than humans do, that's why the discrepancy is there. That's why they call it "the eye test". It's debatable on which one is more accurate, but it's definitely a difference. Maybe not this year specifically as much, but there is. That's one of the reasons people call for getting rid of the BCS. They want the computer poll gone too.
    alright, whatever, just don't get all computer hatey when the human polls play 2/3s of the role in the rankings and they agree with the computer, if there's a problem then find the real culprit rather than reaching to blame an old enemy

[/COLOR]Wisconsin first 5 loss team in the Rose Bowl ever.

This was pointed out by Dan Wetzel on twitter, all this whining by ESPN is bullshit. The reason the rule allowing NIU in exists because the BCS created it to settle an antitrust lawsuit from the lower conferences in order for the corrupt system to continue to exist. ESPN should shut the hell up considering the millions and millions of dollars they make off the BCS every year in tv contracts.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_UC..._football_team

If UCLA had managed to pull off an upset last year in the Pac 12 championship, they would've had a worse record than Wisconsin this year AND much worse losses (Utah and a 2-7 conference record Arizona slaughtered UCLA last year). Fortunately, it didn't happen. It's just dumbfounding that the possibility was there.