Page 1 of 34
... LastLast

Why its bad/good to click?

I am doing a research paper on how clicking is less efficient than keybinding. I need a counterargument to the positives of clicking, and i also need reasons why clicking is worse than keybinding. I was hoping i could come here to get some ideas from you guys.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am a clicker as well, I would say because we drag our mouse to click all the abilities...doing so takes time to get from 1 ability to the other, where as keybinding is damn near instant.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I keybind my main abilities, I click mounts and stuff I rarely use that isn't worth keybinding. Less stuff to keybind I guess.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

Clicking typically takes more time and requires more of your attention than using key-binds. In my experience, anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LocNess View Post
    While I keybind my main abilities, I click mounts and stuff I rarely use that isn't worth keybinding. Less stuff to keybind I guess.
    I do this as well. Also when a fight has a boss button I leave the mouse over the button for easy clicking.

Clicking is just a habit you might as well get out of, sooner better than later. That goes for WoW, SC2, and a bunch of programs.

Deleted
    ehm positives about clicking... being able to play with a hand tied on your back i suppose?
    positives about keybinding: being able to do pretty much everything better
    Last edited by mmoca014cf7a55; 2012-12-03 at 07:45 PM.

Deleted
    I am a clicker, its always going to be slower to click. Even if we always have to wait for cooldows and know where to click next.

After playing games for over 30 years with movement on arrowkeys it would take me years to learn keybinds. I do good in most cases, somewhere I do suffer from being a clicker are high movement fights, I cannot compete with a keybinder if I have to run and make attacks at the same time, I do mouse turn but move with arrows.

Thare are no benefit with being a clicker, but it aint so bad as many keybinders make it out to be, I whoop most of them big time in raids aswell as in pvp.

Something I found funny are that when I play healer I keybind my heals but never as tank or dps roles

15+ Year Old Account
    Where the bad salad is kept crisp on ice.
    I am a veteran clicker. I make use of no keybinds or spell bar addons, except the "=" key for mounting up.

Personally, I know I have a huge disadvantage, especially at pvp, but in general, I think I still click because I have been doing it since I began playing. Don't fix what isn't broken, so to speak, especially since I do better than most people with my class/gear anyway.

That's all I have, sorry.

Edit: I forgot to ask, what level of clicking are we talking? Keyboard turning or mouse/keyboard hybrid? I would be the latter.
    Last edited by Rainec; 2012-12-03 at 07:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pucGG View Post
    He's riding to work, he's not escaping from a star destroyer

I was a clicker until last year. I'm not sure if I'm one now. I am using my Naga Keybinds, but I'm still clicking with my mouse

Key binding might be better in pvp, but its worse in pve in most cases.
    []http://sig.lanjelin.com/img/tanro.png[/]

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Playintrafic View Post
    Key binding might be better in pvp, but its worse in pve in most cases.
    Some nice trolling we have around here

Deleted
    Clicking:

Pros:
    Frees up keybinds. How many spells does each class have now!?

Cons:
    Slower reaction time.
    Can be inaccurate. (Misclicks)

Clicking is viable for spells/items you rarely use, nobody in their right mind binds every single ability available to them.
    E.g. Hearthstone, Teleports, Long Cooldown Trinkets and arguably mounts (although I disagree here).

Clicking isn't viable for spells/items you use consistently as doing so hinders your gameplay and overall performance.

same here rainec. been doing it since the beginning, and i see no reason to go through all the trouble to learn keybinds and such. i can dps normal, move out of shit normal, only place i'm slow is in pvp, and i don't even do that much because i don't like it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainec View Post
    I am a veteran clicker. I make use of no keybinds or spell bar addons, except the "=" key for mounting up.

Personally, I know I have a huge disadvantage, especially at pvp, but in general, I think I still click because I have been doing it since I began playing. Don't fix what isn't broken, so to speak, especially since I do better than most people with my class/gear anyway.

That's all I have, sorry.
    I'm right there with you. As a Shadow Priest, I can't really cast and move anyway unless it's something instant. I've been a clicker since I started playing, and can't break myself of it. I made several keybinds and tried them out for a while in WotLK and again in Cata. While some of the functions were nice, I found my performance dropping. I've never had anyone complain about my DPS as a clicker, even in BC when Shadow Priest dps wasn't that great, I still managed to perform well in raids. I don't PVP that often, so it isn't a huge deal for me.

There are no positives to clicking. While clicking, you have to:
    • Look at your cursor/bars instead of what's going on
    • Keyboard turn or not do anything while moving with the mouse
    • Do everything slower, because pushing a key takes far less time and accuracy than moving your cursor everywhere and clicking. This is especially applicable with 1s GCD classes and abilities that are off GCD

I doubt there is a single clicker in top 100 guilds. Not one single decent PvPer clicks either.

Do you count click healing? That's not generally considered "clicking", but that has many positives:
    • Saves the targeting click
    • Frees up binds for other abilities
    • Raid frames are usually placed in such a way as to maintain raid awareness
    • Accurate and fast healing on any target in the raid

Click healers still have to deal with keyboard turning or just not doing anything while moving, but it's the only way to raid heal effectively. It's not real "clicking" though because you still have to use mouseover binds. Some people don't even click heal with l/r mouse buttons and only use mouseover binds.
    Last edited by Squirl; 2012-12-03 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcstunner View Post
    same here rainec. been doing it since the beginning, and i see no reason to go through all the trouble to learn keybinds and such. i can dps normal, move out of shit normal, only place i'm slow is in pvp, and i don't even do that much because i don't like it.
    How much of your normal dps are you able to preform during attenuation on vizier?
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Quote Originally Posted by Tetriss View Post
    I am doing a research paper on how clicking is less efficient than keybinding. I need a counterargument to the positives of clicking, and i also need reasons why clicking is worse than keybinding. I was hoping i could come here to get some ideas from you guys.
    It all boils down to reaction time, and being able to do multiple things at once, not to mention the increased screen focus required to click.

There are rare scenarios where it won't matter much if at all (being ranged dps on an older tank / spank fight, for example), but on any fights that involve movement, clicking is vastly inferior.

If it has a cooldown under 3 minutes it's usually bound. I do it because it's simply quicker and easier.

I came from a competitive fps background where keybinds for everything was the norm so I found it very easy to incorporate using shift and ctrl into stuff as my hand alrdy rested naturally on the keyboard with those two being easy to press as they're walk and crouch in half-life.

---------- Post added 2012-12-03 at 08:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerofpope View Post
    I'm right there with you. As a Shadow Priest, I can't really cast and move anyway unless it's something instant. I've been a clicker since I started playing, and can't break myself of it. I made several keybinds and tried them out for a while in WotLK and again in Cata. While some of the functions were nice, I found my performance dropping. I've never had anyone complain about my DPS as a clicker, even in BC when Shadow Priest dps wasn't that great, I still managed to perform well in raids. I don't PVP that often, so it isn't a huge deal for me.
    Bind all your keys. Keep clicking. Start to use keybinds for your basic abilities and change them up as you go to something you feel comfortable with and I guarantee within a few months you'll hardly be clicking anything. It's seriously worth the time investment.

I pretty much use keybinds for things I'll need to use in combat a lot or on the move, and click things like mounts, buffs, longer CDs, PvP trinkets, etc that I don't always need. It's plenty efficient, as long as you've got a good, responsive mouse. Don't let people tell you that if you click at all you can't be good. It's flat wrong. I'm a very good PvPer on multiple classes and I click several things. Just make sure you've got your primary attacks and emergency moves bound and you'll be fine. If you don't click anything, that's good, but not necessary.