Running into issues, please help!

So I was under the understanding that I have a reasonably competent gaming pc but I could be wrong.

Specs

Nvidia gtx 460 768 mb
    950 I7
    6 gigs ddr3

But I just recently got Far Cry 3 and with the settings all on low the game is barely able to load. The framerate issues are atrocious and the main menu is laggy. I even set it to directx 9 instead of 11. I already tried updating gfx driver. On my gpu meter it says that its at 58 degrees celcius+ and 97-99% usage at all times. Is this graphics card not gonna cut it for Far Cry 3 or is something else most likely wrong? Please help, I was so looking forward to this game!
    I thought Dragon Age 2 was innovative and groundbreaking!
    lol >.>

Quote Originally Posted by looopy View Post
    So I was under the understanding that I have a reasonably competent gaming pc but I could be wrong.

Specs

Nvidia gtx 460 768 mb
    950 I7
    6 gigs ddr3

But I just recently got Far Cry 3 and with the settings all on low the game is barely able to load. The framerate issues are atrocious and the main menu is laggy. I even set it to directx 9 instead of 11. I already tried updating gfx driver. On my gpu meter it says that its at 58 degrees celcius+ and 97-99% usage at all times. Is this graphics card not gonna cut it for Far Cry 3 or is something else most likely wrong? Please help, I was so looking forward to this game!

Video card isn't good. Not enough VRAM. You want at least 1.5GB of VRAM on a video card.

Also it's 2 generations behind.

After you upgrade your video card look into overclocking your 950 cpu to maybe 3.5Ghz or so, it may help increase performance a little.

but not even strong enough for low settings? I thought the minimum requirements for the game were lower than that
    http://gameinfocenter.com/pc-games/s...Far-Cry-3.html
    lol >.>

Why settle for low settings.

The card is limiting your performance.

You should get like a GTX 580 or better.
    Last edited by c0rnel; 2012-12-05 at 01:06 AM.

A gpu usage of 97-99% is perfect. If you still have low fps this just basically means you have to upgrade the GPU or set the settings lower. But I guess you measured them just when doing a dungeon instead of a 25m raid? :P

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Far Cry was always one of those super retardedly demanding games for (imo) not really any better looking environments & actors than any other game released around the same time. But I'm surprised you have to run it as low as you've said to get it to load at all; that sounds like old/outdated drivers. Sometimes when new big titled games come out nVidia & ATi release beta drivers with tweaks particularly to boost those games' performance.

I'd check for drivers such as those first, and if they provide one, a 64bit client.

Quote Originally Posted by c0rnel View Post
    Why settle for low settings.

The card is limiting your performance.

You should get like a GTX 580 or better.
    I think were kinda missing the point, On paper, my rig should be able to play this game and it can barely open it. I'm wondering what other problems could be, I understand a 680 would be ideal but its not much of an option for me right now.
    lol >.>

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    A gpu usage of 97-99% is perfect. If you still have low fps this just basically means you have to upgrade the GPU or set the settings lower. But I guess you measured them just when doing a dungeon instead of a 25m raid? :P
    Pretty sure there aren't 25 man raids in Farcry 3 ? :P

Quote Originally Posted by looopy View Post
    I think were kinda missing the point, On paper, my rig should be able to play this game and it can barely open it. I'm wondering what other problems could be, I understand a 680 would be ideal but its not much of an option for me right now.
    If you're playing on a 1980x1080 then that's the problem. That card only has 768MB of VRAM which isn't enough at 1080p+ resolutions.

Plus it has low clock speeds so I wouldn't expect much from it.

As suggested you can update drivers and such but an older card can only go so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Splatter View Post
    Pretty sure there aren't 25 man raids in Farcry 3 ? :P
    Hahahahahaha lovely

The solution to his problem is simple then his cpu is more than capable for any high-end card. So yeah go for a new GPU.