Page 61 of 66 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    the Discipline train line gives bonus to the "Burst skills". what are they?

those are the f1 skills.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerwilko View Post
    the Discipline train line gives bonus to the "Burst skills". what are they?
    Much as Fencers said, they are the abilities associated with your adrenaline level and (default) F1 button. These skills are located above the first five abilities on your bar, dictated by your equipped weapons. The burst skill itself is dependent on your main-hand weapon.

i must be the only guy that is loving using axe/axe. but then im low level, so maybe it's not very good later :/

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    i must be the only guy that is loving using axe/axe. but then im low level, so maybe it's not very good later :/
    Axe/axe is a fantastic combo; it's just that many other warriors like using greatswords (often for the Hundred Blades/Frenzy combo) or sword/axe (for bleed-stacking and Whirling Axe).

Quote Originally Posted by Arajal View Post
    Axe/axe is a fantastic combo; it's just that many other warriors like using greatswords (often for the Hundred Blades/Frenzy combo) or sword/axe (for bleed-stacking and Whirling Axe).
    Great sword is a great "run around the open world" wep and so is axe/axe. However, in dungeons the greatsword loses its strength greatly, you either have to cut HB off early to avoid dying and sure #3 is some good AoE damage, trust me I know I ran GS for the majority of my gameplay so far.

Recently I switched to using the axe was going to do axe/axe (this was my original beta weekend build i loved so much) but again for dungeons you don't gain enough from the offhand axe to make it a great tool, if you just used the #1 skill for the duration of the #5 you'll end up doing more damage, so really the #5 is only worth using for hitting things behind you and for destroying objects like burrows.
    The axe main hand has a really fast attack speed (you can end the third attacks channel to start the chain over dealing more damage) and the Axe actually hits harder then the GS #1, just because the GS is scaled for the vulnerability is causes so you "may" see higher numbers from it after the first couple combos, however the axe will deal a flat amount all the time you don't need to keep hitting to deal more damage and you'll be attacking faster.
    That being said I do love the GS and wish it had more valuable skills for dungeons. Not just the ability to get back to the fight really fast after I die.
    But that leaves the off hand selection, again in dungeons I like to look for things that help the group where I can become a valued member of the team instead of just another stereo typed warrior (oh he uses axe most be a glass cannon). In my structured group we run 2 guardians 2 warriors and a mesmer, 1 guardian uses hammer the other uses GS and they are obviously tank specd. That allows us warriors to go full DPS 3400+ attack 93% crit chance 104 crit damage that whole deal, and we run Axe/mace this gives us both really high damage, 12% uptime of 8 stacks of vulnerability (the GS auto attack tops out at 8 and with both of us running this its a 40% uptime iirc) and a skill that removes defiance from bosses which really helps the group.
    When I work with PuGs however I run a really tanky DPS spec, favoring Axe/shield (this set up is also really fun in WvW) this build i hit 3068 attack 3189 armor (until I can get either ascended or exotic Cavalier stated trinkets) 70-83% crit chance (if my sigil hits max stacks it usually does) and 83% crit damage. switching to tankier traits and armor + the shield skills makes me really tanky, while still dealing enough damage and still having skills that help the group, i.e. shield #4 and 5.

but really just use what you want, just giving my opinion from a hard core dungeon runner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    Plz show me your spreadsheets.
    5. You think critting for 5k is awesome, I normal hit for 7.4k with autoattacks.
    Some people are too pro.

first off: I'm really thankful for this thread and all that everyone offers.

OK, i'm finaly lvl 80, and have 400 armorsmith and not too far from 400 weaponsmith. I'm planning on making my own armor, as opposed to using karma points. I just feel like I have more control over what stats with crafted armor. My problem is, I'm not sure what stats I want.

My overall goal is to get into structured pvp. Don't know much about it. Don't have a team or anything. I was trying to decide on the best stats for a Warrior in sPvP.

After looking at all the weps and dmg they do, I like the bleed effect that the swords give. Is it viable to have gear full of toughness (knight's draconic?) that has power as secondary skill, and then add condition damage with jewelry and such? The bleed damage seems so high, but then again, I've never sPvP, so I don't know. Maybe I should go with the control of the mace.

Anet making this game where you can choose your play style is a double edged sword. I'm just not sure which route to go.

thanks for any thoughts / suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    Been a fan of axes since my first time in Fissure of Woe and a Chaos Axe dropped - max, gold, perfect sundering and fort mods, 15^50. Designed myself an amazing axe build that earned the compliments of a buddy of mine who used to use nothing but builds from PvX. Just started playing GW2 last week and got a pair of axes as soon as I could: white vendor trash, worse than the swords I had been using. Love the fact that Whirling Axe pretty much fills your Adrenaline meter with one press.

Speaking of axes, anyone know of any good axe skins that would be fairly easy to acquire? Never been a fan of the Stygian skin, really, but it looks better than my current axes used to. Suppose Chaos Axes are out since Tyria is currently cut off from the majority of the Mists, FoW in particular.
    I am Grôgnárd, the one and only!
    The Light and How to Swing It

SWTOR Referral Link - get free stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
    Great sword is a great "run around the open world" wep and so is axe/axe. However, in dungeons the greatsword loses its strength greatly, you either have to cut HB off early to avoid dying and sure #3 is some good AoE damage, trust me I know I ran GS for the majority of my gameplay so far.

Recently I switched to using the axe was going to do axe/axe (this was my original beta weekend build i loved so much) but again for dungeons you don't gain enough from the offhand axe to make it a great tool, if you just used the #1 skill for the duration of the #5 you'll end up doing more damage, so really the #5 is only worth using for hitting things behind you and for destroying objects like burrows.
    The axe main hand has a really fast attack speed (you can end the third attacks channel to start the chain over dealing more damage) and the Axe actually hits harder then the GS #1, just because the GS is scaled for the vulnerability is causes so you "may" see higher numbers from it after the first couple combos, however the axe will deal a flat amount all the time you don't need to keep hitting to deal more damage and you'll be attacking faster.
    That being said I do love the GS and wish it had more valuable skills for dungeons. Not just the ability to get back to the fight really fast after I die.
    But that leaves the off hand selection, again in dungeons I like to look for things that help the group where I can become a valued member of the team instead of just another stereo typed warrior (oh he uses axe most be a glass cannon). In my structured group we run 2 guardians 2 warriors and a mesmer, 1 guardian uses hammer the other uses GS and they are obviously tank specd. That allows us warriors to go full DPS 3400+ attack 93% crit chance 104 crit damage that whole deal, and we run Axe/mace this gives us both really high damage, 12% uptime of 8 stacks of vulnerability (the GS auto attack tops out at 8 and with both of us running this its a 40% uptime iirc) and a skill that removes defiance from bosses which really helps the group.
    When I work with PuGs however I run a really tanky DPS spec, favoring Axe/shield (this set up is also really fun in WvW) this build i hit 3068 attack 3189 armor (until I can get either ascended or exotic Cavalier stated trinkets) 70-83% crit chance (if my sigil hits max stacks it usually does) and 83% crit damage. switching to tankier traits and armor + the shield skills makes me really tanky, while still dealing enough damage and still having skills that help the group, i.e. shield #4 and 5.

but really just use what you want, just giving my opinion from a hard core dungeon runner.
    Much of what you've said is true, Dempsey, but I tend to stay away from the nitty-gritty theorycrafting stuff (burnt myself out on that in WoW). Many of my responses are from the perspective of someone who loves playing every aspect of this game equally, so they're typically more blanketing than they are focused on one specific aspect.

One of the beautiful things about GW2 is the fact that you can pretty much use any stat combination and still be viable in whatever you want to do.

---------- Post added 2012-11-26 at 09:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dante View Post
    first off: I'm really thankful for this thread and all that everyone offers.

OK, i'm finaly lvl 80, and have 400 armorsmith and not too far from 400 weaponsmith. I'm planning on making my own armor, as opposed to using karma points. I just feel like I have more control over what stats with crafted armor. My problem is, I'm not sure what stats I want.

My overall goal is to get into structured pvp. Don't know much about it. Don't have a team or anything. I was trying to decide on the best stats for a Warrior in sPvP.

After looking at all the weps and dmg they do, I like the bleed effect that the swords give. Is it viable to have gear full of toughness (knight's draconic?) that has power as secondary skill, and then add condition damage with jewelry and such? The bleed damage seems so high, but then again, I've never sPvP, so I don't know. Maybe I should go with the control of the mace.

Anet making this game where you can choose your play style is a double edged sword. I'm just not sure which route to go.

thanks for any thoughts / suggestions.
    One thing you should be aware of about sPvP is that you have a completely different set of gear while participating in sPvP areas. Gear obtained through crafting, dungeons, looting, etc is not allowed in the Mists (sPvP lobby) or any of the sPvP areas. Armor is gained through participation in tournaments and combining various sPvP salvage components in the Mystic Forge. The stats of the equipment sets are nearly identical to one another, with each set having a slightly different stat focus, but you can vary your stat focus more through accessories, upgrade sockets, and sigils/runes. All the basic-skinned armor and side-equipment (accessories, etc.) can be purchased for free from the armor vendors in the Mists. New armor skins are purely for looks.

These things being said, sPvP is very dependent on how skilled you are at playing your class. Stats more or less serve the sole purpose of putting everyone on a level playing field (while still giving you a bit of freedom to specialize your stat focus), leaving actual success in battle to the players skill levels.

In regards to how well the sword fares in sPvP, I can vouch for it. I normally run sword/shield (hammer off-weapon) and act as a offensive roamer (someone who moves between points) and a bunker (a point-defense player) for my team. This combination has served both my team and myself well, as we've consistently reached second or first place in paid tournaments (which often have very good teams comprised of skilled players competing).

When played to its strengths, any weapon is viable in sPvP.
    Last edited by Arajal; 2012-11-27 at 03:46 AM.

So, a question about the Discipline trait line - does the burst damage bonus ever get above 1%? Only six points in, and will still invest more, but I'm rather disappointed it seems to not advance more noticeably.

Quote Originally Posted by Grognard View Post
    So, a question about the Discipline trait line - does the burst damage bonus ever get above 1%? Only six points in, and will still invest more, but I'm rather disappointed it seems to not advance more noticeably.
    It goes up by 1% for every 10 points you sink into the line. It caps out at 3%.

Ouch. Kind of a gyp gain for the investment, but I suppose it's necessary; Eviscerate already hits really hard and I'm only 30. Factor in the potential for a massive crit rate (crit damage being boosted by Disc traits, too), I can easily see the justification.

Critical rate percentage is really just used for triggers of other effects and not necessarily for uber damage in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Critical rate percentage is really just used for triggers of other effects and not necessarily for uber damage in this game.
    But when those effects cause a good chunk of damage, well...

Sigils of Air and Sigils of Fire say hi.

But when those effects cause a good chunk of damage, well...
    Yeah, this - especially with the Disc traits which increase crit damage and the Arms passive that causes bleeding on crit.

Deleted
    Can someone tell me what to use for leveling? I'm currently level 7 and using sword and a shield. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by grindinlife View Post
    Can someone tell me what to use for leveling? I'm currently level 7 and using sword and a shield. Thanks!
    Use whatever you want. Any weapon is viable for leveling. That being said, a lot of people opt for two axes, a sword and an axe, or a greatsword, as each of those combinations tends to have higher damage output at the cost of utility or defense.

You might find this useful: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ion-Playstyles

Deleted
    Use whatever you want. Any weapon is viable for leveling. That being said, a lot of people opt for two axes, a sword and an axe, or a greatsword, as each of those combinations tends to have higher damage output at the cost of utility or defense.

You might find this useful: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ion-Playstyles
    Thanks, mate. BTW, how should I level anyway? Since I'm level 7 my main quest now is recommended for level 10 and i basically did all the heart quest around my area.

Pursue other hearts/skill points/points of interest/waypoints in the area; zones are pretty huge, and have content for a range of roughly 10~15 levels. Also, events that crop up are good sources of XP and karma.

While leveling, gather everything you can. The experience adds up. Plus if you do some crafting that can add xp as well.