10+ Year Old Account

Physical Damage Animations: An entitled jerk-like gripe

So I've started to mess around with more melee-related characters and noticed that the animations do not sync up like the casters do. By that I mean my character will sometimes not swing until shortly after I hit the button. This does not affect damage done, as the damage ticks away without the swing happening, so my gripe is primarily a cosmetic one.

I have similarly noted this disconnect between attack animation and damage with ranged attacks, but with a bigger issue being that sometimes the character's "fire" animation doesn't even go off.

My last cosmetic gripe from an animation standpoint is that the casting animations look cool, fluid, and intricate (spinning the stave around and charging the spell while planting feet firmly in the ground). Meanwhile the melee attack animations seem very stiff and lack any sort of power or "snap". I know I know...pretty small complaint in the grand scheme of things, but I have found myself getting bored of non-casters quicker because the animations do not seem cool to me (and this is despite the non-casters clearly kicking major ass).

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    So I've started to mess around with more melee-related characters and noticed that the animations do not sync up like the casters do. By that I mean my character will sometimes not swing until shortly after I hit the button. This does not affect damage done, as the damage ticks away without the swing happening, so my gripe is primarily a cosmetic one.

I have similarly noted this disconnect between attack animation and damage with ranged attacks, but with a bigger issue being that sometimes the character's "fire" animation doesn't even go off.
    Gosh, you're such a jerk.

I haven't noticed much animation sync issues personally, so forgive me if I'm completely wrong on this. The two things I would most associate the problem with would be ability queue timing in the settings, and off-the-GCD abilities that can/may be paired with regular spells.

Having spent little time on a class like a warrior, my only real melee experience is with my Druid/Justicar build, and everything seems pretty perfect.

It's been that way since launch, OP. A large part of why many claim Rift's combat is "sluggish". It isn't. The animation is. Skill fire as you hit the buttons- if you have floating text on you can see this in real time.

You just have to not give two shits about the animation and look at numbers. Which is sorta the gameplay goal anyway. The entire game is a series of dice rolls.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    People play melee still? I though Trion basically killed melee with SL.
    Just warriors >_<

Quote Originally Posted by Nykolas View Post
    Just warriors >_<
    That's what the tempest spec is for, silly!