15+ Year Old Account
    Right. My fans finally arrived and I progressed to install them. I had to remove my GPU in the process to route some cables and, to my surprise, the motherboard refused to register it after I mounted it back. Took me an hour of wiggling it in and out, changing PCIe slots, I actually broke the clip on the PCIe1 slot while trying desperately get it off before it just magically started working again. o_O Don't you just hate it when you don't know what was actually wrong in the first place?

A side note; Do you know if Asrock Extreme 6 should let you install single craphics card in the second PCIe slot with nothing in the first main slot. Or is my lower PCIe broken? :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    A side note; Do you know if Asrock Extreme 6 should let you install single craphics card in the second PCIe slot with nothing in the first main slot. Or is my lower PCIe broken? :/
    As long as the card fits into the slot it shouldn't matter which slot for a single card, the board should pick it up and be good to go (at the most with a reboot). At least that's what my Asus board does, if I put the card into the second 16x PCIe slot then it picks it up right away, takes 1 reboot to associate drivers with the card (since it thinks I've put in a new card) and then good to game.

See if it's a setting in your ASRock bios.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    sometimes it just needs to be reseated, the clips on x16 slots and ram slots are there because thermal expansion used to cause ram sticks and expansion cards to creap out of the slot

this is why people often have issues with PCIe 1x sound cards and network cards not working

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_creep

Deleted
    XMBC Frodo beta is now available for Android, in case anyone wanted to take a look at it. There's still a few bugs and stuff that needs to be remade, but it's a start.

15+ Year Old Account
    I actually managed to remove one of the clips from the bottom most pcie slot and put that on the main slot. It's a little "loser" then the rest of the clips but it works to secure the card. Still no idea why the second slot doesn't work with a single card. Will probably just leave it and worry about it later if I choose to SLI. It's not like I'm sposed to know if the second slot works when even the manual suggests using the first slot with single cards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    sometimes it just needs to be reseated, the clips on x16 slots and ram slots are there because thermal expansion used to cause ram sticks and expansion cards to creap out of the slot

this is why people often have issues with PCIe 1x sound cards and network cards not working

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_creep
    *scratches head*
    How can any PCI card "creep" out of it's socket when firmly screwed/latched in place at the PCI bracket?

Probably not using the right terminology, this is what I mean:

Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-12-04 at 06:56 PM.

By not giving a frag. Besides, usually the card is only really secured by that PCIe. So it can slip outward uncomfortably far.

Found the Tenkeyless Ducky Shine2's!
    They cost equiv. US$ 225.86
    Quite tempted.

Speaking of which, anyone know a good shop for Norwegians to get Ducky keyboards from? Preferably the standard 104 US key layout available as an option.
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2012-12-04 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Speaking of which, anyone know a good shop for Norwegians to get Ducky keyboards from? Preferably the standard 104 US key layout available as an option.
    http://www.maxfps.no/product_list.as...d=303&sort=hot

Yeah, discovered that page just earlier before posting, but no non-Nordic layout and virtually no MX Brown in stock. Thanks for the link nonetheless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    *scratches head*
    How can any PCI card "creep" out of it's socket when firmly screwed/latched in place at the PCI bracket?
    that's why they are clipped and screwed in

You guys think it might be worth it going from a BenQ XL2420T to a DELL U2312HM, image quality considered. I really won't be using 3D and the kinds of games I've been playing aren't really taking much advantaged from the 120hz. I'd like to improve on the viewing angles (it's been bothersome sometimes when playing with my girlfriend) and image quality for movies and good looking games really. I'm just wondering if the IQ difference would be noticeable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naididae View Post
    You guys think it might be worth it going from a BenQ XL2420T to a DELL U2312HM, image quality considered. I really won't be using 3D and the kinds of games I've been playing aren't really taking much advantaged from the 120hz. I'd like to improve on the viewing angles (it's been bothersome sometimes when playing with my girlfriend) and image quality for movies and good looking games really. I'm just wondering if the IQ difference would be noticeable.
    If you have the money lying around and your reasons/needs are strong enough, then nothing's really stopping you from grabbing a U2312HM.
    I don't know how noticeable the IQ will be since that varies from monitor to monitor and the persons' eyes. But we are talking TN vs IPS and there is a difference for sure. You'll need to do a bit of tweaking to get the most out of it...I'm sure there are tons of guides on tweaking UltraSharps :P

I'll personally be sticking with my 120hz till kingdom come, absolutely love what it has done for my gaming experience.

Yeah, I decided to grab the U2412M, try it out and compare with the BenQ and see what I prefer. Better image quality would be nice, but if gaming becomes too much worse I'll just return it. If I find it better I'll just sell the BenQ and the Dell will basically cost me nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Today I've imported a total of ~1000 1920x1080 frames to Photoshop, ~600 of which I also resized. Yet it took some two hours and a completely random Ctrl+Shift+Esc for me to even start thinking about the possibility that I had eaten up quite a bit of RAM.

Restarting Photoshop, ie emptying .temp, also freed up some 35 GB on my hard drive.

Fun fact: I don't know how many of you have heard about Cartesian Product, but the reason that x is used to describe resolutions (for example: 1920x1080) is the following: A*B would simply be the multiplication that results in the number AB; 2,073,600, in the case of 1920*1080.

AxB, on the other hand, is the set of all points (a,b), where a ∈ A & b ∈ B. I suppose that you're all familiar with coordinate-systems using the (a,b) "format" for describing coordinates on the (two-dimensional) plane* and this is no exception. The planes most commonly used for coordinate-systems, R^2 and R^3, are actually the cartesian products RxR and RxRxR. Every plane is a cartesian product and every cartesian product is a plane. Thus, 1920x1080 is also a plane, the plane containing the set of all points (coordinates, if you will) ranging from (0,0) to (1920,1080).

The point I'm trying to make is that by writing 1920x1080, 1024x768 and so on, you are not just writing down multiplications that you let represent planes with height and width; you're actually defining and describing said planes mathematically, without the need for additional context to explain that it's a two-dimensional area.

*Plane is usually the word you use when working with two dimensions, but I used it throughout, because I don't know whether or not the English language uses the same word for cartesian products in n dimensions.
    Last edited by Cusco; 2012-12-05 at 09:58 PM.
    Amateur Photographer studying Mathematics!
    Linkedin - Portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Naididae View Post
    Yeah, I decided to grab the U2412M, try it out and compare with the BenQ and see what I prefer. Better image quality would be nice, but if gaming becomes too much worse I'll just return it. If I find it better I'll just sell the BenQ and the Dell will basically cost me nothing.
    That's a bit of the difference between the U2412M and the newer models. The newer models (2312HM and 2713HM among them) should be better suited for gaming overall.

I suggest having a look at flatpanelshd.com; they've got reviews (with calibration of the monitor included).

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    But we are talking TN vs IPS and there is a difference for sure. You'll need to do a bit of tweaking to get the most out of it
    On the other hand, the U2312HM and the U2412M are both 6bit e-IPS, meaning they are effectively high TN-panels with good viewing angles. Their colour reproduction may still be at the same levels, but with less distortion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    On the other hand, the U2312HM and the U2412M are both 6bit e-IPS, meaning they are effectively high TN-panels with good viewing angles.
    o_O

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...n&sku=320-2807
    "Panel Type, Surface:
    IPS (In-Plane Switching), anti glare with hard coat 3H"

THOSE LYING MOTHERFU-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    On the other hand, the U2312HM and the U2412M are both 6bit e-IPS, meaning they are effectively high TN-panels with good viewing angles. Their colour reproduction may still be at the same levels, but with less distortion.
    Hmm. Just to make absolute sure: this doesn't apply to (my) U2410, right?
    Amateur Photographer studying Mathematics!
    Linkedin - Portfolio