Page 1 of 2
LastLast

WOW PvP only game

How would you feel if Blizzard created a version of wow that was only pvp? There would be no world, no raid, no daily quest. There would only be one city, say something like stormwind or dalaran. All classes and specs would be balanced around pvp only with no concern for pve. All you can do is que bgs, arena or rbgs. Gear for any given spec would only have to be grinded once through bgs. There would be no new gear each season (or at least no stat increase on the gear). The gear you got would be the best in the game. Gems and enchants would still be customizable. The only curency is honor and all items can be bought via vendor. Players would choose 1-2 classes or specs to unlock for free when they start the game all others would be unlocked through light grinding (similar to LOL).

The goals of the game:
    1. Eliminate PvP imbalances
    2. Remove gear gaps
    3. Focus time on player skill development (instead of gear grinding)
    4. Turn wow into a real esport

Would you play this game or would you get bored with the lack of options?

That would be an extremely limited game. People would be bored in on time.

Quote Originally Posted by dgreen View Post
    Look at games like LOL or COD. Basically all you do is que up and those games are very popular. Focus on skill and not gear is what makes them fun.

The fact Blizzard recently said they want to have pvp be about skill AND gear makes it even more unlikely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

Why would it be World of Warcraft if it didn't contain world?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaoslux View Post
    The fact Blizzard recently said they want to have pvp be about skill AND gear makes it even more unlikely.
    I agree. They will most likely never make a game like this. I just want to know how many people would be interested in this type of game.

---------- Post added 2012-12-04 at 12:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    Why would it be World of Warcraft if it didn't contain world?
    Haha true it's basically another game.

Sorry but if you want LoL or whatever pvp action/rpg online game go play that. Wow is an MMO, and it was not even created with organized pvp in mind.
    []http://sig.lanjelin.com/img/tanro.png[/]

Deleted
    This would be incredibly simple to fix, just some changes to the annual arena tournament realms and it's done and all PvPers will be happy

that is why the tournament realm is so glorious...

i have about 100g on my whole account. repair bills suck. i have to vendor xmog gear just to fix my gear so i can queue.
    Arena Master Elemental Shaman
    Maeros@Illidan
    http://www.twitch.tv/chroniclinex
    http://www.youtube.com/chroniclinex

A PvP game replicating WoW's PvP system (but an idealized version) instead of standard MOBA maps would be amazing. I'd definitely play. As imbalanced and otherwise problematic as it is, there's a magic to it that no other game has managed to capture. There's just so much depth to the gameplay compared to a simple 4-button MOBA. The big problem with something like that is that obviously the game would be aiming to be a competitive esport, and WoW just doesn't work in that regard. It's terrible because spectators have to know almost as much about the game as the players to understand what's happening. I'm sure noobs/non-players would have an idea from watching healthbars, but realistically it would just be boring to watch for most people. If you take the essence of WoW and try to cut it back to something that works as a spectator sport, you pretty much end up with LoL.

i just hope they dont go the swtor route, and level all lower players to 89 just minus the additional spells / abilities you get until leveled.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Highmoon7 View Post
    How would you feel if Blizzard created a version of wow that was only pvp? There would be no world, no raid, no daily quest. There would only be one city, say something like stormwind or dalaran. All classes and specs would be balanced around pvp only with no concern for pve. All you can do is que bgs, arena or rbgs. Gear for any given spec would only have to be grinded once through bgs. There would be no new gear each season (or at least no stat increase on the gear). The gear you got would be the best in the game. Gems and enchants would still be customizable. The only curency is honor and all items can be bought via vendor. Players would choose 1-2 classes or specs to unlock for free when they start the game all others would be unlocked through light grinding (similar to LOL).

The goals of the game:
    1. Eliminate PvP imbalances
    2. Remove gear gaps
    3. Focus time on player skill development (instead of gear grinding)
    4. Turn wow into a real esport

Would you play this game or would you get bored with the lack of options?
    To be honest that sounds terrible and boring.

This would be the best thing they could possibly do for WoW and in fact might bring it back as an e-sport. Even a permanent ATR would be nice but PvP realms set back during s9 or Wrath would be incredible for the game.

If I didn't have to pay a monthly fee for it I would play the shit outta it.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dgreen View Post
    For the record, this would not be boring for those that play wow mostly for the pvp aspect, futher more this is how MOBAS like dota and LoL are, and i can assure you that those that play these types of games find them to be very fun and not boring.

BTW, this dosent mean im for or against such idea.
    Last edited by NPEC; 2012-12-05 at 03:43 PM.
    “Dois loucos não sabiam que era impossível realizar a tarefa, decidiram então realizá-la.” Mark Twain

Wouldn't probably play it, atleast not pay for it.
    There is already AT (if you know what I mean *wink wink*) with semi balanced PvP and a nice community.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Figoment View Post
    If I didn't have to pay a monthly fee for it I would play the shit outta it.
    Most likely there would not be a monthly fee as cost to produce the game would be much lower. Also they wouldn't have to keep paying a dev team to keep creating new raids/content which is most costly.

It would be like Starcraft where the cost to buy the game includes paying the team that makes small balance changes from time to time.
    Last edited by Highmoon7; 2012-12-05 at 05:09 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nest View Post
    Wouldn't probably play it, atleast not pay for it.
    There is already AT (if you know what I mean *wink wink*) with semi balanced PvP and a nice community.
    I agree.
    What OP is describing basically already exists for every expansion (except MoP) in the form of *cough*privates*cough*.

AT for WOTLK.
    NG for TBC.
    etc

WoW is and will always be a PvE game first and a PvP second. It will always be a side thing. At least that was the original intent. They even regretted putting it in. That said, if they did I'm sure it would do fairly well, as long as it was free.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    WoW is and will always be a PvE game first and a PvP second. It will always be a side thing. At least that was the original intent. They even regretted putting it in. That said, if they did I'm sure it would do fairly well, as long as it was free.
    Where did they say that they regretted putting PvP in the game?