Looking to get a lean look without bulking up too much.

So at the moment, I'm at 6'1 172 lbs with about 14% body fat. I spent the last year doing a lot of cardio, but I've been going to the gym at least 5 times a week for the past and a half. even though I'm technically in the healthy weight zone, I look pretty flabby. I want to build some muscle, but I dont want to look bulky. Any workout/Diet tips are much appreciated .
    Check out my youtube channel!!! Gaming videos GALORE!!! :http://www.youtube.com/user/Antigravitydawgz

Cut carbs, up protein, and cut bad fat as low as possible. If you have any fat it should be good fat like from most nuts, avocados etc which is good for you but again do not go overboard with it. Also when I was going for muscle and toning I preferred medium weight with reps in the 15-20 range with my muscles being tired at the last rep. Focus on form more than reps. And I only do cardio two days a week one at the beginning and one at the end of my workout week. Too much cardio is counterproductive for muscle building, at least imo. Also with cardio dont just go at the same speed I would go for 5 mins at a good pace pump it up for a min then back down to normal and repeat for 20 mins.

in reference to what you cut and up and how much that is tied to your body weight and the results you want just do a little research.

It's my anecdotal experience that people who say that they want to build muscle but not look bulky will not experience either.

If you were to cut bodyfat now, you'd look pretty skinny (I was around the same weight).

What are you currently doing in the gym with 5 days a week?

It would be faster if you bulked up then cut afterwards.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're going to have to put on a huge amount of muscle before you start looking bulky. Just lift until you get where you want.
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    You're going to have to put on a huge amount of muscle before you start looking bulky. Just lift until you get where you want.
    ^^^^ this

It's gonna take years of training to get "bulky". stay in a small surplus(200-500 cals above maintenance), & stick to a program focusing on primarly compound movements. 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight, .45 grams of fat, & fill the rest w/ carbs. Cut once your happy w/ your progress & repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by freelapdance View Post
    It would be faster if you bulked up then cut afterwards.
    Only if one doesn't build up too fast... that can attribute to strechmarks. But yes, extra muscle-mass will increase fat-consumption.

I've always focused on strength, form and technique vs size. Size will develop over time.
    Spacebar spacebar spacebar spacebar click-selection spacebar spacebar click-selection spacebar spacebar dark-side.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hythos View Post
    Only if one doesn't build up too fast... that can attribute to strechmarks. But yes, extra muscle-mass will increase fat-consumption.

I've always focused on strength, form and technique vs size. Size will develop over time.
    Yeah because building muscle goes fast......

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hythos View Post

As Hazarka said, building muscle is a slow, laborious, consistent process. It doesn't happen rapidly.

If you want my advice putting on muscle and getting lean are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Ergo, you either get lean or you bulk. Both require individual training methodologies and diets. What I'm saying is you either train to get big, OR train to get lean. You can't do both - so you're in luck!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Minrolol View Post
    Cut carbs, up protein, and cut bad fat as low as possible. If you have any fat it should be good fat like from most nuts, avocados etc which is good for you but again do not go overboard with it. Also when I was going for muscle and toning I preferred medium weight with reps in the 15-20 range with my muscles being tired at the last rep. Focus on form more than reps. And I only do cardio two days a week one at the beginning and one at the end of my workout week. Too much cardio is counterproductive for muscle building, at least imo. Also with cardio dont just go at the same speed I would go for 5 mins at a good pace pump it up for a min then back down to normal and repeat for 20 mins.

in reference to what you cut and up and how much that is tied to your body weight and the results you want just do a little research.

Fats are essential, cutting is really unwise and has no major benefits beside reducing calories which you can do by cutting carbohydrates.

Regarding the OP you should probably look to a proper fitness or weight loss forum, you've only going to find bad anecdotal advice here. Also in the very act of leaning out essentially means you really can't gain any muscle mass, it's one or the other.