Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Crappy Christmas Presents

So I'd like to open this up in two ways, one if telling about, from Christmases past, of crappy christmas gifts you either gotten or given, and two the reason why this was, or if there was more behind it.

For the last few years, my older brother, with his family and nice home and sweet job, who makes the effort to tell how great his life is, for the past 3-4 years now, has shown pretty much the true nature of the stingy bastard bastard, or perhaps thoughtless goon.

For years now, like i do everyone else, I like to spend time thinking of a good gift to get someone. Even if I know it won't be much to spend, I try to find a nice gift and put a lot of thought into it. For example last year, I put money together for both my brother and sister in law, and brought them a Christmas hamper in lots of christmas goodies and wine and cheese and other stuff. And for christmas, what did my brother get me? A cheap deorderent set I saw in my local chemist on sale for a few pound.
    Likewise, the year before, I brought them a cook book cause he liked to cook Italian meals and his wife a first season of one of her fav series, and they got me a game for a console I didn't even own, and he even asked me when opening it 'hope you can play it dunno if you got console'.

I've decided this year, give him a chance, i won't spend much on him but I will still put a bit of thought into it, but if it becomes very obvious he doesn't give a shit I'll just stick to giving him book vouchers from here on.

So anyway, crappy christmas presents and what you did in return.
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    This is why Christmas is a bit overlooked or just overrated.

What I mean is, the purpose of giving someone a gift is to make them happy, wtv it is they give you, the intent and action of giving a gift is what should really matter, but in this case, your brother is either trolling you or just doesn't give a damn.

Either ignore him and don't give him a present or just talk to him and ask what's wrong.

This reminds me of those First-World Problems memes.

Like this one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    This is why Christmas is a bit overlooked or just overrated.

What I mean is, the purpose of giving someone a gift is to make them happy, wtv it is they give you, the intent and action of giving a gift is what should really matter, but in this case, your brother is either trolling you or just doesn't give a damn.

Either ignore him and don't give him a present or just talk to him and ask what's wrong.
    HAha, you don't know my brother.
    #boycottchina

I guess I'm lucky, because I don't really give a damn about the gifts, I tell all of them each year, do not give me any presents(goes for both xmas and my bday, 13th dec-I'm 28 this year), but you know how that works out.... it doesn't. They still buy you stuff you never asked for, but then when you think about it for a sec it would be quite retarded to get upset over recieving gifts imo. So I don't.

But I guess money is quite a crappy present, so there you go, money, it's boring, if one insist on giving away something at least make the effort to go out and buy something original or something that is suitable for that person.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

i havent had a christmas present in years O-O
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

My worst was probably: "Presents? Didn't you get a stuffed bear on your birthday already?"

10+ Year Old Account
    I use to hate getting clothes as a kid.

Now I love getting clothes as an adult.
    Putin khuliyo

wait i lie, every year the bbc make a doctor who christmas special JUST FOR ME thats right none of you are allowed to watch it! ITS MY SPECIAL EPISODE THAT MATT SMITH MADE JUST FOR ME @_@
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

This will always be the dumbest present I ever got.

http://www.amazon.com/Lava-Buns-Heat.../dp/B007CNZD5U

Considering I am female and dont go to outdoor sporting events, ever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    HAha, you don't know my brother.
    It still doesn't hurt to ask, I think.

Also, you're around your 35 or something, right? If so, that means your brother is around that age, and if that's true, I think having a serious talk with him isn't impossible, if it is, he's just acting really childish and ignore him, that's what I do with my brother sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post

Haha, so true. xD

Bills paid for a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Zigzagzoom View Post

but... but... dont you want hot buns while playing vidya gaimes @_@ I HATE HAVIN COLD BUNS

A t-shirt...the same t-shirt I received from the same person last year.

My parents are well-off. They got my 8 year old brother a fucking yoyo and a pair of glasses last year. My dad is the cheapest man you will ever ever ever ever meet, so to make sure my brother doesn't have another crappy Xmas, I bought him a PS3.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zigzagzoom View Post

Thats a pretty brilliant gift tbh, *ordered*
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    But I guess money is quite a crappy present, so there you go, money, it's boring, if one insist on giving away something at least make the effort to go out and buy something original or something that is suitable for that person.
    Money is boring? If someone is getting me anything OTHER than money(or some sort of gift certificate, which is almost the same thing), they really don't know me well enough to be getting me something in the first place and probably shouldn't bother.

See, I shop constantly. If you go to get me a movie, unless it's a movie I specifically requested, it's about 99% likely I either have it already or don't have any interest in it to begin with-either way, the gift is useless to me and you would have been better off saving your money. Same with CDs, sure, you may know what bands I like, but the fact is, you're not likely to find something by said bands I don't already have, unless I don't already have it for a reason(ie, I sampled the album and it sucked). Clothes? Uh uh, I don't like other people picking stuff for me to wear, as I am particular-even if it's a shirt for something I like, it doesn't mean it's a shirt I want to wear. I collect knives and other weapons, so maybe you might consider getting me a blade-except, again, I'm particular about the blades I want...and I already have a lot of blades, so unless you're really familiar with my collection(which expands regularly), you won't know if the blade you're getting is one I already have. Even things which should be simple can be messed up. My mom knows I enjoy shooting, so last year, she bought me a box of 500 rounds of 9mm ammunition...which was useless to me. Not because it was the wrong caliber, but because the ammo was steel cased, and the ranges I go to forbid steel cased ammo.

So no, money isn't boring, money is ideal-it's one gift you can be absolutely certain I both want and will use.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Money is boring? If someone is getting me anything OTHER than money(or some sort of gift certificate, which is almost the same thing), they really don't know me well enough to be getting me something in the first place and probably shouldn't bother.

See, I shop constantly. If you go to get me a movie, unless it's a movie I specifically requested, it's about 99% likely I either have it already or don't have any interest in it to begin with-either way, the gift is useless to me and you would have been better off saving your money. Same with CDs, sure, you may know what bands I like, but the fact is, you're not likely to find something by said bands I don't already have, unless I don't already have it for a reason(ie, I sampled the album and it sucked). Clothes? Uh uh, I don't like other people picking stuff for me to wear, as I am particular-even if it's a shirt for something I like, it doesn't mean it's a shirt I want to wear. I collect knives and other weapons, so maybe you might consider getting me a blade-except, again, I'm particular about the blades I want...and I already have a lot of blades, so unless you're really familiar with my collection(which expands regularly), you won't know if the blade you're getting is one I already have. Even things which should be simple can be messed up. My mom knows I enjoy shooting, so last year, she bought me a box of 500 rounds of 9mm ammunition...which was useless to me. Not because it was the wrong caliber, but because the ammo was steel cased, and the ranges I go to forbid steel cased ammo.

So no, money isn't boring, money is ideal-it's one gift you can be absolutely certain I both want and will use.
    This post makes you seem really eh. Wouldn't even bother getting you a gift if you were my friend, even money.

When you get gifts and when Christmas happens, go into it not expecting anything good. Don't go into it hoping that everything someone bought you will be valuable to you, because then you'll just end up shallow and disappointed. Just be happy they took the effort to try to get you something that was related to you. Sure, if you're a guy and they get you make up, then they didn't really bother to think, but if they got you something that was just a little off, just be thankful...

People (who are emotionally sensitive/intelligent) don't like giving money because gifts are supposed to be thoughtful, tailored to who the receiver is.
    Last edited by vizzle; 2012-12-07 at 07:19 AM.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post

I hated it then and I still hate getting clothes because they're usually the wrong size, not something I'd even wear etc. As for the worst presents, I don't remember any recently that I didn't like but then again, me and my brother don't exchange presents and I also don't give them or get them from half-friends, acquaintances or other people I wouldn't really want at the Christmas table.

The worst present overall is probably an envelope with money I got from my grandparents when I was around 10. Sure it was the most useful present but tossing a few bills in an envelope and writing merry christmas on it i just so lazy and shows you don't really care and just feel like you should give something.

10+ Year Old Account
    I bought my sister-in-law a hand crafted metal cat clock. It was the shape of sitting cat
    made from thin metal bars with the clock in the hip area. Made by a local artist, not cheap.

Guess what I got for christmas the very next year? That damn cat clock.
    She re-gifted my gift, which I suppose would be fine if she'd not given it to the original gift bearer.

Still haven't told her to this day what she did and never will.
    (edit for context; this woman was obsessed with cats... cat towels,
    cat dinner dishes, cat paintings and even a cat welcome mat.
    and here I thought I was buying something thoughtful...)
    And eight, eight, I forget what eight was for