Thread: Hypocrisy.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I knew everything I needed about this thread from highlighting the link and seeing "My toon (bloodpoop)..."

Seriously? Grow up. I didn't whine when my original Hunter named Deerpiss got reported and forced to change, even though mine was more intelligently crude than yours. I'm glad they delete everything you try to do because you are being ridiculous. There are far more quests where we threaten, torture, and murder people than anything related to defecation. Should we also be allowed to harass and threaten people in the game? Then show up at their house with hot needle pokers and torture them to death?

Logic, you have none.
    How childish his name is or how much he is whining doesn't make it alright that random people can report names just for the sake of annoying people by making them change their names. It is ofcourse bullshit that you get offended by his name but not by other things in the game.
    I've heard of many cases where people or guilds got their names reported and were forced to change them when they were not offensive. There are just a lot of childish people playing WoW who think it is funny to report others just to troll them and Blizzard is helping them. Or do you really think that the word poop offended someone? They might have just reported him because they hated how childish his name is. Good reason to force a name change on someone...

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold of Skullcrusher View Post
    Funny is relative. While Bloodpoop is not funny to you, it might be to someone else. Same comes for disgusting.
    Which is why we have an arbiter called Blizzard who decides what is and isn't tolerable. Seems like on this occasion, Blizzard agrees with those who find the name inappropriate.

Is there anybody apart from 13 year old boys who find the name "bloodpoop" funny? I can't think of anyone who wouldn't just say "eww... dude why did you name your char that?" not to mention the slight awkwardness of people having to say that or type it out in guild chat / vent - if you were in my guild I would dub you "Bob" rather than refer to you as bloodpoop on mumble!

I don't find your name offensive in particualr myself, more like childish, crude and unfunny.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithshield View Post
    Do you have a valid reason for why that name would offend you? Does Blizzard have a valid reason for why they would want it censored? Remember this is a game for all ages, not just pubescent adolescents.
    Because WoW naming policy

words can be put in context.
    It's like the people logging in with "therapist", claiming it's a legit word, but only having it for the "oh so fun, i have rape in my name, that mod/admin/sysop can't do anything against because i can find it in the dictionary as a legit word"
    I always ban them if they refuse to change the name, and begin arguing.

Bloodpoop doesn't offend me. I just find it childish, and while the game is +12 here, i'm not really feeling that i should live with 13year olds names :P
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Quote Originally Posted by Faithshield View Post
    Do you have a valid reason for why that name would offend you? Does Blizzard have a valid reason for why they would want it censored? Remember this is a game for all ages, not just pubescent adolescents.
    You also get offended when you go to the bathroom to take a dump? Reporting someone because you don't like his childish name is that a valid reason to force a name change?

A former guildmember of mine had to change his name. It referred to James Bond. After he changed it it still referred to James Bond but it was just shortened. It was like this .......oseven and now it's ...(same text)...osvn. So please tell me how this makes any sense.

I see they got all of it in their naming policy and it's still nonsense. Like someone cares about a trademark being used. It's just some jerk off reporting players for other reasons.

And in practice I could report him for this:

Partial or Complete Sentences (Does not apply to Guild or Arena Team Names)
    This category includes names which:

Consist of a partial or complete sentence contained within the name (Hihowareyou, Ilikebeans)

But why would I do that?
    Last edited by Gilian; 2012-12-06 at 02:11 PM.

I would say that because the game is an RPG, they want the players to have 'realistic' names in order to keep with immersion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    We have a bunch of redneck yahoos that like to set them off in the cul de sac where I live, and 60% of their shit ends up in our yard or on our house. Not infracted
    Quote Originally Posted by zerocarbs View Post
    We have a bunch of obnoxious wetbacks that like to play their mariachi music where I live and nearly all their family ends up parking in our yard. Infracted

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post
    How childish his name is or how much he is whining doesn't make it alright that random people can report names just for the sake of annoying people by making them change their names. It is ofcourse bullshit that you get offended by his name but not by other things in the game.
    So now we're just assuming that people are reporting people on a whim to harass them? It surely can't be a response to having someone name their character something so disgusting? That would just make too much damn sense.

I've heard of many cases where people or guilds got their names reported and were forced to change them when they were not offensive. There are just a lot of childish people playing WoW who think it is funny to report others just to troll them and Blizzard is helping them. Or do you really think that the word poop offended someone? They might have just reported him because they hated how childish his name is. Good reason to force a name change on someone...
    Really? Let me have screenshots that show what the names in question are. My guess is that you could take a sampling of the public here and the overwhelming verdict would be that they agree most people would be offended or that it directly violates the TOS regarding naming conventions. Just like another poster said, you can't have names that are statements/sentences. That's not to prevent offense, it's just to keep names in check.

You know, since it is Blizzard's game to do what they want with...they could technically make us all change our names to binary code and have no words anymore. We play by their rules. You need to learn some valuable life lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    There is a big difference between a quest with the term guano and your name of "Bloodpoop"
    Just rename the toon Sanguineguano... problem solved.

Deleted
    One of the naming convention rules is that your name can't be partial sentence or combination of words. There is also a clear rule about not naming yourself after bodily functions.

You broke the rules. Suck it up.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/naming-policy

Quote Originally Posted by Detheavn View Post
    Might want to check the context of my post, because I fear you missed it.

You also get offended when you go to the bathroom to take a dump? Reporting someone because you don't like his childish name is that a valid reason to force a name change?

A former guildmember of mine had to change his name for unknown reasons. It referred to James Bond. After he changed it it still referred to James Bond but it was just shortened. It was like this .......oseven and now it's ...(same text)...osvn. So please tell me how this makes any sense.
    You need to stop thinking in absolute terms. There is acceptable, there is unacceptable, and there is the grey area in between. In most cases it is the grey area which comes down to an individual Game Master's judgement. Blizzard does not have a hive mind, and so just like in any walk of life not all decisions are going to compare well. What I'm saying is to be frank, a lot of the criticisms of the naming policy and its processes are void of any understanding about how this process is carried out in the real world, and how it can be reasonably carried out by employees of Blizzard.

It is not some omni-present authoritative figure that presides over every and all name changes.

130 Witty / Crazy WoW guild names

Here is a page dedicated to them:

5. <Naga Please>

7. <CSI Stormwind>

17. <We’re Pissing All Over You>

23. <Two Orcs One Cup>

and the list goes on... feel free to click the link above and see them all.

You cry hypocrisy, I call stupidity. You knew full well the chance you were taking with the name. There is no real legitimate reason to name yourself that other than(pun intended) shits and giggles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Idiotic name, glad they forced you to change it.

WoW is still an RPG after all...

While some would say it's offensive and others may not mind it at all, the fact of the matter is that *someone* reported it, and based on the GM's initial response at looking at your name, agreed with the reporter and now you have to change your name according to policy. I understand growing used to a name (I "lost" my name when I transferred to a high-pop server), but there's worse things that have and will continue to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengalor View Post
    Nice try but you agreed to it when you signed up to play the game. Just be glad they didn't force you to pay for the name change and/or ban you completely and next time try being mature when coming up with your names.
    It's still hypocritical. It doesn't matter how much you hate him for having a childish name or if he agreed with this policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Your name may not be offensive to you, but it's clearly offensive to someone else, and that violates the naming rules against names that offend other people.

There is a big difference between a quest with the term guano and your name of "Bloodpoop"
    Guano, yes, but there are PLENTY of quests where you take, literally, "poop" and smear it on yourself as camo.

Case in point: http://www.wowhead.com/object=204425

I totally side with "Bloodpoop" on this one. If you're offended by his name, you're offended with the game, in which case, you're offended WAY too easily if you're offended when someone mentions a natural bodily function that nearly every living being has to do to survive.

Now, if EVERY instance of the word "poop" in game was changed to be more, well, scientific (such as "droppings", or finding the right term to match that of "guano") then I might see things differently, but I completely agree that this is hypocrisy.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastmasterGuardian View Post
    130 Witty / Crazy WoW guild names

Here is a page dedicated to them:

5. <Naga Please>

7. <CSI Stormwind>

17. <We’re Pissing All Over You>

23. <Two Orcs One Cup>

and the list goes on... feel free to click the link above and see them all.
    Heard a guild called Naga Please had to name change and maybe even got banned. Can't really remember.

Deleted
    So when I report phillipsisawarlock and say it offends me then you should change your name?
    You should report "phillipsisawarlock" because it is over the 12 character limit. Clearly a hacker.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold of Skullcrusher View Post
    Lemme ask you, are you offended by big monkey who wants to rape your ass? That's actually whatone npc says in game... I can understand some ppl can feel sick thinking about bloodpoop, while I am not, but why should his name be changed when there are references to pretty much worse and more disgusting stuff in game?
    I'm quite certain that "Ook you in the dooker" is not meant to refer to anal sex. He's talking about punching you in the nose.