Thread: Hypocrisy.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastmasterGuardian View Post
    Just rename the toon Sanguineguano... problem solved.
    "Redguano" sounds better, tbh.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithshield View Post
    Might want to check the context of my post, because I fear you missed it.
    What context is needed? Regardless if people personally have a problem with a name, some will go as far to just report anything for the sake of said naming policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I'm quite certain that "Ook you in the dooker" is not meant to refer to anal sex. He's talking about punching you in the nose.
    TBH the first time I heard that I sure thought it was.

Also, what about drugs? Bloodthistle is all over BC and there's even a quest to tempt a courier with it in SMV. Are you saying that "Bloodpoop" is more offensive than drug usage?
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    The GM's cannot police every single character, just as us mods don't have the time to view every single post made, every day. They rely on us to report things. Just because there are people named that now doesn't mean that we should say "Oh, it's okay, go ahead and keep your name as it is". We should report these names.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodpoop View Post
    My toon (bloodpoop) has recently had a forced name change. My point is not that this name isn't against the terms.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I have created 2 forums on battle.net only to have them both deleted despite the fact that I was extremely polite and have a completely valid argument.

Blizzard should either remove these quests from the game or reinstate my name.
    The name change is justified, sorry bro

To the bold text.. I don't want to sound anal now, just trying to help..
    You've created 2 threads, not 2 forums. Forums contain threads. To be exact, Sub-Forums do. A Forum is the head term for all sub forums within. Opening a second thread when your first one got shut down is a violation of the forum rules over at Blizzard.

Back to your point. Even tho the name change is justified (to be honest, these kind of names are a bit immature in my opinion), I do see your point of hypocrisy executed by Blizzard. Their list of names against the TOU is extensive. While at the same time, the game itself is flooded with references to other things.
    The Klaxxi Achievement - Stay Klaxxi.
    All sub achievements are classic kick ass hard rock songs/bands.

Angel of Death - Slayer
    Painkiller - Judas Priest
    Raining Blood - Slayer
    Silent Lucidity - Queensryche
    Children of the Grave - Black Sabbath
    Master of Puppets - Metallica
    Seek and Destroy - Metallica
    Iron Mantid - Double reference to Black Sabbath - Iron Man, or Iron Maiden, the band.
    Speed King - Deep Purple
    Battle Hymn - Manowar

Further more we are digging for Mithril Ore...... Mithril is part of the Tolkien works, and therefore even copyrighted.
    Copyright is a main concern here. Blizzard is reliable if they do not prohibit any kind of violation in that regard.
    We don't know how much royalties Blizzard pays for using terms that are under copyright by others.
    But we players for sure don't pay any. Hence why we aren't allowed to use such names.
    We are also not allowed to use names that violate "the good taste" of the society, including cuss words, profanity and the like.
    Yet I still see your point
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2012-12-06 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Detheavn View Post
    What context is needed? Regardless if people personally have a problem with a name, some will go as far to just report anything for the sake of said naming policy.
    Since poop is ALL OVER the game, and there's even a quest in Grizzly Hills to shit your brains out, I wouldn't say "poop" is against a naming policy by any means, or Blizzard needs to modify a TON of their quests and objects.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    So now we're just assuming that people are reporting people on a whim to harass them? It surely can't be a response to having someone name their character something so disgusting? That would just make too much damn sense.

So after years they suddenly stumble over a name that is in violation because of:

Trademarks
    This category includes both clear and masked names which:

Are trademarked/licensed by a company or an individual

Then the person changes his name saying the exact same thing but shortened and then do nothing about it. They have a list they randomly pick players from to change their names? You think they are going to spend time and money on making people change their names while no one ingame cares about it?
    You really think someone reported that name because it uses a trademark?
    Last edited by Gilian; 2012-12-06 at 02:28 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post
    It's still hypocritical. It doesn't matter how much you hate him for having a childish name or if he agreed with this policy.
    You must wear your tin foil hat as you spot hypocrisy across all of life. I think what you are missing is that life is not fair. We don't get to make most of the rules, except in your home and even then the law supercedes. Blizzard isn't a democracy. You don't get a say in their policies or creative choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    The name change is justified, sorry bro

To the bold text.. I don't want to sound anal now, just trying to help..
    You've created 2 threads, not 2 forums. Forums contain threads. To be exact, Sub-Forums do. A Forum is the head term for all sub forums within. Opening a second thread when your first one got shut down is a violation of the forum rules over at Blizzard.

Back to your point. Even tho the name change is justified (to be honest, these kind of names are a bit immature in my opinion), I do see your point of hypocrisy executed by Blizzard. Their list of names against the TOU is extensive. While at the same time, the game itself is flooded with references to other things.
    The Klaxxi Achievement - Stay Klaxxi.
    All sub achievements are classic kick ass hard rock songs/bands.

Angel of Death - Slayer
    Painkiller - Judas Priest
    Raining Blood - Slayer
    Silent Lucidity - Queensryche
    Children of the Grave - Black Sabbath
    Master of Puppets - Metallica
    Seek and Destroy - Metallica
    Iron Mantid - Double reference to Black Sabbath - Iron Man, or Iron Maiden, the band.
    Speed King - Deep Purple
    Battle Hymn - Manowar

Further more we are digging for Mithril Ore...... Mithril is part of the Tolkien works, and therefore even copyrighted.
    Copyright is a main concern here. Blizzard is reliable if they do not prohibit any kind of violation in that regard.
    We don't know how much royalties Blizzard pays for using terms that are under copyright by others.
    But we players for sure don't pay any. Hence why we aren't allowed to use such names.
    We are also not allowed to use names that violate "the good taste" of the society, including cuss words and the like.
    Yet I still see your point
    Did you just compare hard rock songs to poop?

Boy, this thread escalated quickly...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    TBH the first time I heard that I sure thought it was.

Also, what about drugs? Bloodthistle is all over BC and there's even a quest to tempt a courier with it in SMV. Are you saying that "Bloodpoop" is more offensive than drug usage?
    You're comparing apples to oranges.

You're talking about a concept, not a name. Blizzard has, as the designer of the game, every right to put in whatever themes they feel are necessary to tell the story. If that involves picking herbs to satiate the fel magic addictions the Blood Elves suffer from...so be it. That doesn't give us the right to violate the naming conventions of our characters, then point the finger and say "but you have drug themes!" If you want to play the game, you need to play within the rules.

You must wear your tin foil hat as you spot hypocrisy across all of life. I think what you are missing is that life is not fair. We don't get to make most of the rules, except in your home and even then the law supercedes. Blizzard isn't a democracy. You don't get a say in their policies or creative choices.
    There's a difference between a say in policies and seeing them commit "do as I say, not as I do".

10+ Year Old Account
    Mithril is part of the Tolkien works, and therefore even copyrighted.
    No, it's not. No more than orcs, elves, dwarves, spellcasting and the like is. Mithril is used in piles of books, games, and mythologies. In fact:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mithril

You're comparing apples to oranges.

You're talking about a concept, not a name. Blizzard has, as the designer of the game, every right to put in whatever themes they feel are necessary to tell the story. If that involves picking herbs to satiate the fel magic addictions the Blood Elves suffer from...so be it. That doesn't give us the right to violate the naming conventions of our characters, then point the finger and say "but you have drug themes!" If you want to play the game, you need to play within the rules.
    Meh. We won't see eye-to-eye, but I still find this hypocritical and stupid.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post
    So after years they suddenly stumble over a name that is in violation because of:

Trademarks
    This category includes both clear and masked names which:

Are trademarked/licensed by a company or an individual

Then the person changes his name saying the exact same thing but shortened and then do nothing about it. They have a list they randomly pick players from to change their names? You think they are going to spend time and money on making people change their names while no one ingame cares about it?
    Maybe it was reported, maybe a GM noticed it in game, maybe an employee saw it from playing. Who knows? It doesn't matter. That's like arguing that it is ok to break the law until you get caught, but how dare the police not catch you instantly when you try to hide your activities better the second time.

No, it's not. No more than orcs, elves, dwarves, spellcasting and the like is. Mithril is used in piles of books, games, and mythologies. In fact:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mithril
    The name "mithril" or similarly spelled variations (mith, mithral, mythril, and others) is present in other fictional contexts like role-playing games such as RuneScape, Chrono Cross and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion—despite that Mithril® is a registered trademark owned by The Saul Zaentz Company. The Saul Zaentz Company owns all trademark and certain other rights derived from the names of places, characters and things described in J.R.R. Tolkien's novels The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit,[7] as well as in the highly successful[citation needed] feature films based on those books. The Saul Zaentz Company has used the mark Mithril® for many years in connection with a variety of things, including for example, collectible figurines, online role-playing video games and entertainment services. Mithril metal is also frequently mentioned in many of the original 1st edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons game books and adventure modules written by Gary Gygax and published by TSR.

Since 2003 mithril has been the "inspiration and metaphor for the MIThril project", a "next-generation wearables research platform"[8] at MIT.

I'm surprised Runescape and Chrono Chross is on that list but not World of Warcraft and the thousands of other games that have Mithril as a mineral.

10+ Year Old Account
    The GM's cannot police every single character, just as us mods don't have the time to view every single post made, every day. They rely on us to report things. Just because there are people named that now doesn't mean that we should say "Oh, it's okay, go ahead and keep your name as it is". We should report these names.
    For some reason the built in filter doesn't trigger with poop, as it looks. Or the toons were created before then...
    Blizzard has such filter in place that blocks certain words right away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    The name "mithril" or similarly spelled variations (mith, mithral, mythril, and others) is present in other fictional contexts like role-playing games such as RuneScape, Chrono Cross and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion—despite that Mithril® is a registered trademark owned by The Saul Zaentz Company. The Saul Zaentz Company owns all trademark and certain other rights derived from the names of places, characters and things described in J.R.R. Tolkien's novels The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit,[7] as well as in the highly successful[citation needed] feature films based on those books. The Saul Zaentz Company has used the mark Mithril® for many years in connection with a variety of things, including for example, collectible figurines, online role-playing video games and entertainment services. Mithril metal is also frequently mentioned in many of the original 1st edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons game books and adventure modules written by Gary Gygax and published by TSR.

Since 2003 mithril has been the "inspiration and metaphor for the MIThril project", a "next-generation wearables research platform"[8] at MIT.

I'm surprised Runescape and Chrono Chross is on that list but not World of Warcraft and the thousands of other games that have Mithril as a mineral.
    Technically it's trademarked, not copyrighted (you can't copyright individual words like that, usually), but nothing is owed for its usage.

What does that have to do with hypocrisy? I can't say something is hypocrisy because life is not fair or because I am not living in a democracy?

10+ Year Old Account
    For some reason the built in filter doesn't trigger with poop, as it looks. Or the toons were created before then...
    Blizzard has such filter in place that blocks certain words right away.
    They do have some filters, though enterprising people can find a way around them if necessary.