Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Petition for a Death Star

Link to article: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012...n_2236275.html
    Link to petition: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...-2016/wlfKzFkN

So, Obama have said he'd consider every petition with atleast 20'000 (but as far as I can see, this1 requires 25k) signatures. While this does not guarantee that it will go trough, it still forces them to take a look on it.

Their reasoning behind building the death star:
    By focusing our defense resources into a space-superiority platform and weapon system such as a Death Star, the government can spur job creation in the fields of construction, engineering, space exploration, and more, and strengthen our national defense.
    I think that this will never pass. Making a death star would cost more than £541 trillions, but then they aren't asking for a replica either, which would be impossible. The question is, might it be considered to build a space station with military purposes beacuse of this? I guess the costs are too big, but we will see if this passes. I still found it quite interesting.

"Consider" isn't quite the same thing as "write up a bill." lol

If anything it'll just bring a smile to his face when it gets handed to him by some intern.

Signed as soon as it started haha

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    "Consider" isn't quite the same thing as "write up a bill." lol

If anything it'll just bring a smile to his face when it gets handed to him by some intern.
    Yea, I'm saying I doubt it will happend.
    On the other side, it could lead to consideration of building a space station for national defence? :O

10+ Year Old Account
    For science.

I'd like to be part of that task force to draw up the budget and plans for it, just for it to sit in the national archives or something as a monument to "The Day We Designed and Budgeted the Motherfucking Death Star."

As long as Sith Lord Gingrich isn't involved.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Deleted
    Thats no moon......

Hmm, I wonder if it's possible to convert the moon into said death star.

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    Hmm, I wonder if it's possible to convert the moon into said death star.
    They did it in Austin Powers so I don't see why not

10+ Year Old Account
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_treaty

And similar treaties pretty much prevent us from doing it. As an aside, Obama simply said he would read any petition with 25k signatures, not that he would do anything about them other than laugh. Petitions are pretty much over-rated, too easy to fake signatures and too many dumb people. I remember a comedy show went around NY getting women to sign a petition to END Women's Suffrage. (Their right to equal protections under the law.)

Though, let's face it. A Death Star would be cool as hell. Maybe America and Europe could actually work together as a cohesive team and pull it off as I would think it's too much for any one nation to do.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

At an estimated $852,000,000,000,000,000 for the steel alone and 833,315 years to produce the steel, i don't think they could afford it.

http://www.centives.net/S/2012/how-m...he-death-star/
    Last edited by Lagwin; 2012-12-07 at 10:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i'd sign it. But from the article, "Earlier this year it was calculated that the Death Star would cost more than £541 trillion just for the raw materials - or 13,000 times the gross domestic product of the Earth."

Quote Originally Posted by Isrozzis View Post
    i'd sign it. But from the article, "Earlier this year it was calculated that the Death Star would cost more than £541 trillion just for the raw materials - or 13,000 times the gross domestic product of the Earth."
    They just need to modify the material they use. Instead of steel they could use a better material which is cheaper to create and lighter to ship up to space and easier to assemble.

They just need to modify the material they use. Instead of steel they could use a better material which is cheaper to create and lighter to ship up to space and easier to assemble.
    carbon fiber!

Lego's it is.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Lego's it is.
    oooh fuck, count me in then.

I'd prefer to start out smaller, by building small colonies on multiple planets to make sure human species would survive planetary catastrophe, but heck I'll sign anything that funds space-science.

Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    I'd prefer to start out smaller, by building small colonies on multiple planets to make sure human species would survive planetary catastrophe, but heck I'll sign anything that funds space-science.
    Especially space-science that involves blowing shit up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    carbon fiber!
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Lego's it is.
    Carbon Fiber lego blocks! HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!