10+ Year Old Account

Becoming a keybinder

So I wanna stop being a clicker I have never had a SINGLE spell put on a keyboard button and ive been playing since bc. Im not here to debate whats better its obvious I just started pvp and need to stop clicking if I want to stand any chance. Now I know how this is donei have bartender so i know how to assign spells to keys etc my concern is that im missing a big piece of keybinding info for example when i read other threads they talk about things like focus macros target macros and things like that but i have no idea what all those are all i know is how to put one spell on one key is that not all there is to it. Please help me to understand the the other details im missing. also modifiers and all that stuff

Macros have nothing to do with being a clicker or a, um, hotkeyer. Search for macros for your class, e.g. Hunter Macros, BM Hunter Macros, etc.
    Focus, in case you don't know is an ability to pick a target and have its unitframe hang somewhere on the screen until you un-focus it. Done via /focus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just start with binding your main spells to easy accessable keys, start with 3-4 spells and just add a spell or two from time to time when you are comfortable with what keybinds you already have

I suggest these as good alternatives to the regular 1-5 bindings: alt+1, alt+2, etc; crtl+1, crtl+2, etc; shit+1, shit+2, etc. Choose the ones that are more comfortable to your fingers. "G" is also something i like to use since is close to your fingers, as well as "B" (but that might screw up your bags hotkey if you're very into that). These are good to start off, but i wouldn't use more then i can handle at the beginning. Start with a few and go gradually putting some more you invent or collect from other players!

10+ Year Old Account
    I was like you until like a month, now I have everything key-bound! I love saying "SHIELDS UP!!" When I alt+wheel up to rise my frost barrier.

lol nice one ur still a clicker after like 6 years :/

very sad

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzin View Post
    So I wanna stop being a clicker I have never had a SINGLE spell put on a keyboard button and ive been playing since bc. Im not here to debate whats better its obvious I just started pvp and need to stop clicking if I want to stand any chance. Now I know how this is donei have bartender so i know how to assign spells to keys etc my concern is that im missing a big piece of keybinding info for example when i read other threads they talk about things like focus macros target macros and things like that but i have no idea what all those are all i know is how to put one spell on one key is that not all there is to it. Please help me to understand the the other details im missing. also modifiers and all that stuff
    A focus/mod macro can look like this:

#showtooltip Scourge Strike
    /cast [nomod] Scourge Strike
    /cast [@focus, mod:alt] Strangulate

This shows the tooltip of the ability Scourge Strike. It will show the icon and information of that ability when you mouse over it. When you just press the button you've got this binded to, it will cast Scourge Strike. Nomod means no modifier which is usually Alt, Ctrl and Shift. When you hold in alt and press your bind it will cast Strangulate on your focus.

Normal macros are really simple and this is a simple way to start off.

Here are some great guides:

http://hydramist.tv/portfolio/advanced-macro-guide/ - Hydra is among the best Priests in the world.
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Making_a_macro - Like a Wikipedia for WoW.

---------- Post added 2012-12-08 at 03:15 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tauren View Post

very sad
    When someone takes the initiative to improve its really stupid to come with these kind of unnecessary comments. You're the kind person that ruins the gaming community. Grow up.

---------- Post added 2012-12-08 at 03:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Creotor View Post
    Macros have nothing to do with being a clicker or a, um, hotkeyer. Search for macros for your class, e.g. Hunter Macros, BM Hunter Macros, etc.
    Focus, in case you don't know is an ability to pick a target and have its unitframe hang somewhere on the screen until you un-focus it. Done via /focus.
    However, macros are commonly used after you've started keybinding which is why he brought it up.

---------- Post added 2012-12-08 at 03:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Niberion View Post
    Just start with binding your main spells to easy accessable keys, start with 3-4 spells and just add a spell or two from time to time when you are comfortable with what keybinds you already have
    This is definitely how you're suppose to start off. A few years back when I get into keybindings I did this as well. Take one or two binds at a time so you don't get overwhelmed, eventually you'll get the hang of it.
    Last edited by Senathor; 2012-12-08 at 02:13 AM.

I'm going to be lazy.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...How-To-Keybind

I wrote the guide, so just pretend I copy/pasted it all here.

Quote Originally Posted by Niberion View Post
    This. A thousand times this. Such great advice.

Another thing that helped me (also a suggestion from kind forum-posters) was to learn to, if you're not already, turn with your mouse and use A and D for Strafe Left and Strafe Right respectively. It may seem like little thing and somewhat unrelated to the main issue of keybinding, but it helps with your mindset and how you think as a keybinder. You have to think differently as a keybinder versus a clicker and adjusting how you move is a great way to get you there.

Here are a few tips that helped me:

- Start by rebinding A and D to left/right strafe. This will prevent you from being able to keyboard turn (since A and D are bound to turning left/right by default) and force you to mouse turn. Play like this until you are comfortable with it. Then move on to start keybinding more abilities.

- Create a new character/alt. Doesn't matter what class. Use keybindings on that new character from the beginning. Slowly add new bindings as you get new abilities/level up. I found it a lot easier to switch playstyles on a lowbie character that didn't have so many abilities than I did on my main that I'd been playing for years. Once I got used to keybindings on the alt, I applied that style to my main and had an easier time with it.

- Try to do things gradually instead of switching over all at once. It can be difficult to just entirely switch after being used to something for 6 years, so take your time. Start by keybinding your most important/most used abilities first, maybe 2-3 at a time, get used to using those keybindings, then slowly add more. Spend time practicing with it on target dummies before you jump into group situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauren View Post

very sad
    Sad indeed

I will just say that dont start out binding everything. Take it slow at first

You dont need to worry about macro's at first, it will eventually come, when you releaise you can save some space on you're bars or so.

And damn...6 years, we'll good you change now
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Deleted
    You have some "cross" of movement. Usually that's ASWD. Usually that's fwd/strafe, and nowadays since there are abilities used with backward movement (roll backwards, blink backwards, and so on), and since backwards movement isn't the Great Satan some "awesome PvP:ers" seem to have thought for a while, it's also backwards movement. So, let's assume ASWD for fwd/strafe/back for now.

At this point I should say that there are benefits in keeping "keyboard turning" bound. I for example do keep Q and E for turning. Why is this? Why do I stay a "keyboard turner"? Well, if you want to turn your view to look behind you, while at the same time turning your character to for example run around a pillar, you can't do that without using keyboard turning. I never use keyboard turning myself, except when I'm fiddling with the view while I'm moving, and I do that constantly. So for me, it would be ASWD+QE for movement for now.

You want to have a thumb button on your mouse. That's a must have. One is fine, two is decent if it's a good mouse. It can also be bound to accomplish several things.

Also, before I go into actual bindings, I should mention something about targeting. "TAB targeting" is default in WoW, and since it's default, very many people have learned to live with it, and swear in it's name. I think it's outright shit. TAB targeting cycles through a list of targets. It doesn't necessarily give you the correct target straight away, which is what you need to get. Also, if you cycle over the target, you need to cycle back, which takes another bind, and more time. I for one do still have the TAB targeting enabled, just in a much different less-used bind (SHIFT-S actually), and I use my MOUSE to choose the correct target.

Now, on that subject, why is that important? Because to be taken seriously, you need to use mouseover macros. You cant switch targets to interrupt casting. You absolutely have to do that ASAP by hovering your mouse over the target nad using a mouseover macro. Using your mouse to always choose targets also makes you very proficient at targeting people with mouseovers.

Still, some people here will grit their teeth and tell you that TAB-targeting is God, that mouseover macros are useless and that you should relinquish keyboard turning completely since it's useless and you get two buttons for abilities. That's fine. I gave you my 2 cents.

At this point, you need to understand that I use a Finnish QWERTY. If you need to look up the keymapping, you can find it on Google. Keyboards are different, after all.

Now, you'll want to have your most-used arsenal bound to buttons which you find without thought. If you're using the ASWD-QE setup, then buttons such as 1234 (perhaps 5 depending on the size of your keyboard), § which should be left of your button 1, TAB (since you don't use it for targeting), R (bind your reply to Y), T, F, G, > (left of Z), Z, X, C, V, and most of these buttons with SHIFT, ALT and CTRL. Whatever feels very fast and comfortable to you. For example, SHIFT-Space is an awesome button combination not often used by many people.

This should get you started with about a couple dozen "combat buttons", as well as the logic behind binding (and some personal views on targeting and stuff).

As far as macros go, here's an awesome example on a working offensive spell:

#showtooltip Counterspell
    /use [@mouseover,harm,nodead][@target,harm,nodead]Counterspell

No excess spaces, use does the same as cast, so save 1 space there, first checks for mouseover, then target, checks for enemy target, and checks for alive target.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2012-12-08 at 06:36 PM.