Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    They enjoy the race.

Now that it's over, they can take a break. They still raid to get all the gear they can for the next tier, but other than that, they can relax for a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxtails View Post
    my guild spends about 8 hours raiding a day, 6pm-2am 7 days a week. tbh we do it for fun/compete for oceanic first. Also clearing faster allows us to gear up for alts to have the strongest possible comps if required for the next raiding tier.
    Starzy-pooh!

OT: Put in the time early on, finish early, then it's just smooth sailing.
    I'd much rather do what we're doing at the moment (Pushing super hard) then chilling out after we're done.
    It's almost over, then it's time to relax.
    Last edited by Raxxed; 2012-12-08 at 04:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    Blizzard offered cardboard cut outs with poster pictures of bosses stapled on them upside down and sideways and many players now feel that is raiding.
    Raxxykins

We're just a casual guild so I doubt we'll get heroic sha for a few months, but more content is always better, no matter how you look at it

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by konway View Post
    Hey, just because some people have no job, no girlfriend, no friends outside WoW, and no real hobbies doesn't mean you should look down on them. They're allowed to live their lives however they want.

Doubtful, since progression guilds have to learn the strats through hours of trial and error while casual guilds can just watch a 5 minute video.
    You can raid top end and have all of those aspects rather easily. The biggest hurdle is really just planning time away from them during new content being out, then going back to your previous schedule. Most people can't commit to playing that much during such a short span due to scheduling issues, not *I have a life* pity arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Raxxed View Post
    OT: Put in the time early on, finish early, then it's just smooth sailing.
    I'd much rather do what we're doing at the moment (Pushing super hard) then chilling out after we're done.
    It's almost over, then it's time to relax.
    While I understand why people go this route, it's no exaggeration to say I'd unsub until the next patch if I beat Heroic Sha before Christmas. I'd just be logging back in to go through the motions of an accomplishment I've already achieved.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Quote Originally Posted by konway View Post
    Sure, if you ignore the fact that bosses are frequently nerfed after progression guilds spend 30+ hours wiping on them and Blizz realizes they're over-tuned. Heroic Zor'Lok anyone?

I'm not sure facts count as facts when you have to ignore other facts to support them. Maybe I'm wrong though...
    Heroic Zor'lok was overtuned for a couple of days, then it was nerfed and promptly killed. Not really a gigantic time sink over the course of a whole tier.

Imagine that a guild raids 12 hours a day for a week and clears all content. That means, naturally, it would take 7 weeks for a 12 hour a week guild to have raided as much as them. Fair to say that a huge majority of guilds are not done with progression after 7 weeks. So if you ignore any additional time committed to the game beyond progression raiding, pretty reasonable to say that the very best guilds raid less overall than your average guild with an eye on heroic raiding. That's definitely been my experience of going up in ranks. The better you do, the faster you get stuff on farm and the less time you play over a whole tier. You might put in extra hours in the first week or two that can be a major block for people with really busy lives, but that tapers off pretty fast.

Well, I raided 7 days a week for 5 hours. So 35 hours a week. Now that progression is over I've raided (so far) 10 hours this week and I need not raid anymore. In the long run? Probably spend less time (overall) raiding. At the start it's obviously a time sink, but I enjoy progression.

you'll have to wait 4 months for a new raid now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daxxari
    I have a feeling that Ghostcrawler's comment in that interview is going to be seen quite often on the forums in the coming days.

My best advice is to try not to take those time frames as though they're graven in stone (which is why I'm not directly answering your question). It's better to think of them as rough guidelines for approximately how frequently we'd like to patch in updates.
    Ta da!

10char

we do it because it makes our britches moist.

Man its threads like this that make me glad the highest level of raiding I'm gonna do is LFR this expansion.

when I raided 16 hrs a week we finished sinesta's tier in 3 months and then just chilled and all got BIS by the time firelands rolled around. now it's even more important to max out on your VP item upgrades to be even more BiS

Currently I spend about 5 hours raiding each Wednesday to clear 16 heroic bosses and I would rather do that than spend 4 months progressing.

You might say I don't like raiding, but it's the exact opposite - I love raiding and since me and my buddies are good at it, we do it fast and spend much, much less time actually doing it than your average player.

What you assume wrong is that a heroic raider focuses entirely on the raiding and if there is no raiding he is technically wasting his money. This isn't true for the most part, for at least the hardcore raiders I know, raiding is merely a part of the game on which we like to focus when new content patches are released.

There are still Glad/HotA titles to be taken, plenty of achievements, transmog gear, legendaries, enjoy playing alts and just make money off the AH or by selling boost runs for cash.

ps. An average raider in a casual/new guild raids A LOOOOT more than a hardcore one as their "raided" hours are spread over a long period of time, while a hc raider's one are skewed in the start.

Progression raiding is enjoyable.

The other thing to remember is that the guilds that clear the content quickly will be full BiS before the next tier and therefore be better equipped to spend less time on the subsequent tier. Over the course of the expansion its hard to argue that top guilds raid more than others that spend the whole tier progressing (particularly when a tier is dragged out like ICC or DS - 8 months of 1 hour a week), it just that the top guilds' raiding activity is focused in one burst!

Most people are still progressing heroic and those top guilds who've done that will be busy decking out their mains in full BiS and their prominant alts too. That's not "nothing to do", though it is "farming the same bosses over and over" like you are doing too (don't tell me you kill 1 boss and then never do it again: look at LFR), but that's a goal to work towards.

If you don't see the point of competitive progression, fine, but we do, and this makes what is fun for *us*. If you prefer being ass slow and wiping on basic stuff then that's totally fine with me, I'm not making a thread about that either.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd trade anything to mow through the raids in a month, and then spend only 4 hours a week after that clearing it all out.

It gets exhausting spending 10 hours every week for the entire expansion because we progress so slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightelfsb View Post
    OP, I can ensure you that hard-core top 100 raiders, plays less than you. Atleast they raid less.

Now, some or most off thoes might also play alot outside of raids, but thats there choice/they haft to grind X thing to stay competitive.

If by raiding 12-16 hours a day every day until they clear the raid is less than the OP I agree. Unless you meant overall from start to finish. The reason world first guilds are world first is skill AND the number of hours they put in.

---------- Post added 2012-12-13 at 10:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    Currently I spend about 5 hours raiding each Wednesday to clear 16 heroic bosses and I would rather do that than spend 4 months progressing.
    You guys clear faster than the top 5 ranked guilds in the world.

A lot of guilds which are already cleared the content start selling achievements and loot from these bosses. And you know, for quite a price.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    If by raiding 12-16 hours a day every day until they clear the raid is less than the OP I agree. Unless you meant overall from start to finish. The reason world first guilds are world first is skill AND the number of hours they put in.[COLOR="red"]
    Do you really think anybody is referring to the "progression period"? I don't think anybody is arguing that a 'typical' guild raids more than the top raiding guilds in the world during that period of time. Seems obvious that everybody is talking about raiding on a continuous period, from the start of a tier until the start of the next tier.

You guys clear faster than the top 5 ranked guilds in the world.
    How long do they take? If I had a guess it would be 5-7 hours to clear 16/16H.

Deleted
    Around that yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Dubalicious View Post
    Do you really think anybody is referring to the "progression period"? I don't think anybody is arguing that a 'typical' guild raids more than the top raiding guilds in the world during that period of time. Seems obvious that everybody is talking about raiding on a continuous period, from the start of a tier until the start of the next tier.

How long do they take? If I had a guess it would be 5-7 hours to clear 16/16H.
    Im referring to raiding. Not progression or farm just the act of raiding. Even on alts. I would still wager that 16/16HM guilds raid just as much if not more than average top 1000 guilds. Usually after full clears on mains alt groups go for full clears or as much as they can clear. Run apps through with alts etc. You think most guilds clear 16/16 HM on tuesday or wednesday and then don't raid until next reset? I would have to disagree. I have been in top 100 guilds for US and we raidied as much if not more than the less skilled guilds on out server Just we werent wiping to the same boss for 2 days we were multiple clearing instances on our alts etc.