Poll: Do you suffer from clinical depression?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    My friend is depressed and is taking 3 months off of uni (but still gets the grade due to it being group work and her having a sick note) which i find incredibly stupid and unfair....she basically gets to relax everyday while i do the work for her and i can't say anything because she is ill? >.<

I don't understand being diagnosed with depression either...if someone diagnoses you with depression then that just makes you focus inwardly thinking it's you that's the problem which would just make it worse(ie. feeling sorry for yourself)..where as you could just put it down to the situation you are in or things that externally out of your control that are making your life suck. The cause being external would make you feel like it's not your fault and that your situation will get better...

Also everyone suffers from depression in some shape or form and it just seems wrong to me to place such a large excuse onto it..it's kinda like people with obesity saying they are big boned or it's in their genes where as it's most likely caused by some outside influence..If a doctor says yes it is your genes they are most likely going to give up on losing weight..

Yes, i know I'm going to be shouted at for having no sympathy...i really don't class it as an illness, it's an emotion which you need to learn to deal with. That is just my opinion(not fact) based on studying other mental disorders in psychology >.<
    Last edited by Frozenbeef; 2012-12-09 at 09:48 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    I still have real bad problems in regards to sleeping, I need sleeping pills to even get a proper night of sleep.
    I was the same at my very worst. Had to take an anti-anxiety which pretty much doubled up as a tranquilliser! xD

Decent mental health study is still a very new form of medicine. Not too long ago shrinks were lobotomising people left, right and centre! And, as such, a lot of people haven't had the chance to learn about the ins-and-outs of mental health, why people get ill and how it can be treated. You meet a lot of people who don't have a clue about any of it and I've always felt rather than get offended, you might as well try consciousness raising and giving people some insights into what's going on with you. The best part of therapy for me was learning not to feel ashamed because I had mental health problems. The brains an organ like any other, and as such, is just as susceptible to encountering all sorts of problems.

don't know if i am or not... i have nights when i feel like dying, usually the next day will be a lot better. though, the last couple times it's gotten like that, it's lasted for 2-3 days. the feel is kind of always around... but i think i've just gotten good at repressing it. idk if it's depression or not, but it sucks when it gets to be too much to hold back :/

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    And the chance some *angsty* teen declaring themselves depressed on the internet is.......like what?
    Over 90.00%?

Anyway, clinical depression and being depressed are two different things. Usually clinically there's no real cause of it - you have no reason to be sad. It's not like being depressed because your dog died. You could also be depressed because you're single and lonely, or you are bored, or you have no close friends, so things just look down. That's not necessarily clinical depression. That's just being down.

A clinically depressed person could have a wonderful job, extremely loving spouse, supportive family, great place to live and there could be nothing wrong at all and they'd be depressed.

It's always good to try and think why you might be sad. I've had many periods in my life where I was really "depressed", but nothing that couldn't be fixed with the proper circumstances (and thus isn't real clinical depression).

I see it as a choice, theres too much going on every second of the day you can't notice a tiny fraction of a percentage of it, you can't focus on just the good, you can't focus on the bad. But you can *choose* to be happy or sad.

Some people like to focus on the bad and disregard the good, and some the other way around, NO ONE knows everything that goes on, and theres so much mis-information masquerading as facts, I don't see the gain in getting worked up about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Give someone 1 mil dollars, BAM no dopression whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose19 View Post
    Yeah but thats not entirely true. Not saying its untrue all of the time, just...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    Except this is the off-topic forum and this forum also talks about relgion, politics, war, etc which are all pretty serious subjects as well if you ask me
    You miss the point...Even though it's the off-topic forums, it's the same people.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    Over 90.00%?

Anyway, clinical depression and being depressed are two different things. Usually clinically there's no real cause of it - you have no reason to be sad. It's not like being depressed because your dog died. You could also be depressed because you're single and lonely, or you are bored, or you have no close friends, so things just look down. That's not necessarily clinical depression. That's just being down.

A clinically depressed person could have a wonderful job, extremely loving spouse, supportive family, great place to live and there could be nothing wrong at all and they'd be depressed.

It's always good to try and think why you might be sad. I've had many periods in my life where I was really "depressed", but nothing that couldn't be fixed with the proper circumstances (and thus isn't real clinical depression).

I hope that stat was sarcasm but again...one can't dismiss depression. I've been there but it took about a year or two to find the strength to move pass it. It may not be severe(Severe would be...way worse)

You miss the point...Even though it's the off-topic forums, it's the same people.....
    So what, it's not a crime to ask for help in these sort of things.
    Last edited by Aeluron Lightsong; 2012-12-09 at 10:12 PM.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Yeah but thats not entirely true. Not saying its untrue all of the time, just...
    Yes it can not work, if you are already filthy rich :P

I'm having a hard time right now, but that doesn't mean I'm in a depression.
    People refer to the word depression too quickly when they are having a hard time.

If you are seriously considering to commit suicide or feeling down for no reason at all, you should consider yourself to be in a depression

No, not at all.

Been to the shrink two times(once in my youth, once for psych evaluation for the military), a couple of hours each time, gotten top marks, a pat on the back and a thumbs up both times. Not that it means much, but no, there are no problems here.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Deleted
    Nope. Avoiding people keeps me away from that.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zao View Post
    Sounds easy to do, but is very hard for somebody in a real depression.

I was in a depression for quite a long time, and even got medication. My recovery was helped by a lot of lucky external circumstances:
    I managed to get a job that I enjoy and can earn good money with, thanks to my uncle and I found "nerdy" friends, something I lacked my whole life beforehand.

Not everybody can be that lucky, and I know I personally wouldn't have made it out with willpower alone.
    It's only as hard as the person plans to make it for themselves. I was depressed for over half my life, and I got myself out of it through time by realizing that no one can fix the problem but yourself, with family and friends as moral support when you're feeling down. Of course, not having that *safety net* so to speak makes it more difficult, but its certainly possible if the person wants to be rid of it enough. I used various types of medication, but got rather bad side effects from them, so I stopped using them.

Clinical depression is not very common despite what people say, and tends to stem from chemical imbalances, which can be changed through medication and a better environment.

---------- Post added 2012-12-09 at 03:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose19 View Post
    Not really true. You're just more likely to buy a bunch of really cool stuff, but you're just as likely to be depressed. Depression can trigger in anybody for any reason, regardless of their social and financial status.

Deleted
    Oh come on... I know there are some people with depression around here, but 1/3 of voters? That's a bit much.

As for me, no. I don't consider myself to have depression. Sure, I feel down once upon of time, and sometimes I feel sad for no reason, but from here to say I'm clinically depressed? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Choptimus View Post
    Have you tried changing your lifestyle?

Dump the PC, change your diet, get involved in new hobbies, get out and meet people?

Works 9 times out of 10.
    Ok, since you're so sure it works 9 times out of 10, how about you give some links to studies showing that?

I'm going to say this once and once alone. NO. For some people it may help, for others it may not. You know your last cold? You remember it? Well some other person only had a drippy nose for a week having same cold while another person stood in bed with fever for 7 days and had sour throat, sneezing and all that while being on meds to have it pass.
    The conclusion: not everything that works for you works for everyone. This is why that random skinny person you know can eat 20 cookies but if you eat one you gain 1 kg. This is why you can see that ant 1 km away but some other person needs glasses to see a road sign 50 meters ahead. BECAUSE OUR BODIES REACT DIFFERENTLY TO DIFFERENT THINGS.

There is no such thing as "consider". Go seek medical help and see if you need it. I did.

Bad breakups can hurt folks. I've got a family member who saw their marriage of 28 years crumble. That does a number on people, especially around the holidays with such social pressure to be together.

Either the people answering this question are subject to massive selective sampling, or there's a lot of people that like to whine in this thread. I'd guess the former, but I bet there's at least a little of the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Either the people answering this question are subject to massive selective sampling, or there's a lot of people that like to whine in this thread. I'd guess the former, but I bet there's at least a little of the latter.
    Yeaaah I was gonna say. 3/8 people depressed? That's insane.

I've been taking Lexapro(10) and Trazadone(100) for major depressive disorder for years now