Brisbane Australia

Hey there,

I'm most likely moving to Brisbane region within two or three months and I'd like to hear your opinions on Brisbane and it's surroundings. Whether you live in or have visited the Brisbane area, your experiences are welcome. Any information would be helpful. Which suburbs do you like best, which are the least preferred and why. What did you do there for fun, how are the people, where have you had a great time? etc. Paint me a picture!

I'm aware some of the suburbs nearby aren't perfect, like anywhere else, but please try to keep it constructive and civil.

Hells

10+ Year Old Account
    Brisvegas is amazing! ;D Especially the metropolitan area and southbank, really nice community and is beautiful. Celebrating NYE there . I live in Northgate, North - East of the city, it's pretty laid back, but it's close to everything. Chermside - major shopping centre in Brisbane suburbs, city, shorncliffe beach, Toombul shopping centre (major also). If you're incredibly rich go to Ascott, seems where all the big houses are. Bowen Hills is somewhat nice, its near the valley and Ann street (Clubs and all) My brother just moved into an apartment there and is really nice. Amazing view.

Chermside is basically the shopping area you would go to if not in the city.
    Southbank is where you would go during incredibly hot summers day, because of pools and man made beaches/ also has biggest cinemas in the state.
    Queen Street Mall - Central of city is where you would do all the shopping in the city obviously.
    Brisbane is like 40 minutes(min - driving) from the Gold Coast and Sunshine coast. Sunshine has a lot of awesome beaches, Gold coast has Surfers Paradise, and all the theme parks. (Dreamworld, Wet n Wild, Movie World, Sea World).
    Brisbane is the fastest growing populations and economy (state)

I hope i have helped somewhat - i would recommend the North-East of Brisbane

If you have any questions that i havent answered feel free to ask.

I haven't mentioned a lot of things that you can do in Brisbane because there is heaps of stuff to do.

You definitely helped add color to the map, crackle! I'm grateful. I mainly want a chill and median cost suburb to live in. It doesn't necessarily have to be extremely close to the core of Brisbane, as I don't know if the city life is for me. I just want to enjoy a simple life while I'm there. I'll probably stay for about 7-12 months.

Deleted
    not to be a partypooper, but the 3 weeks in brisbane where the worst location wise during my 10 month trip in australia. But i guess it´s different to really move there and living in a hostel. I felt the city was kinda boring and the absence of a beach in the warm summer was really a big minus for me.
    hope you enoy it tho,

10+ Year Old Account
    i live in canada but i stayed in bris for a while. It was honestly great i lived in chermside near the big shopping center with gilhooleys in it. Downtown is really nice and really fun and there way fun nights in the valley.

Like others have said its not far from the gold coast which is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by drulis View Post
    not to be a partypooper, but the 3 weeks in brisbane where the worst location wise during my 10 month trip in australia. But i guess it´s different to really move there and living in a hostel. I felt the city was kinda boring and the absence of a beach in the warm summer was really a big minus for me.
    hope you enoy it tho,
    Couldn't you have just traveled a bit to hit he beach? and what did you do for fun during your stay?

Quote Originally Posted by Maruka View Post
    i live in canada but i stayed in bris for a while. It was honestly great i lived in chermside near the big shopping center with gilhooleys in it. Downtown is really nice and really fun and there way fun nights in the valley.

Like others have said its not far from the gold coast which is amazing.
    That's good to hear! What did you do for fun on those fun nights? Clubs/bars?
    Last edited by Hells; 2012-12-10 at 07:41 AM.