Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I'm just going to ask this. Don't flame me, and I'm not asking for an infraction. I loved GW2. Though for argument's sake one must ask:

Where did they have SWTOR rated last year?!

Was it even on the list? If it was, their gaming knowledge...well....yeah....

toomanyrifts.blogspot.ca || A Gaming Blog

Deleted
    QUOTE FROM COMMENTS:
    The reviewer obviously has not played GW2. Arena Net sold the game on promises of being revolutionary and progressive then quickly added the traditional grind and abandoned the core selling points. Compare release sales with current number of daily log-ins and you will see the rapid decline of yet another failed game. Does anyone at Time bother to look at what's being submitted as articles or has editing and fact-checking gone the way of the typewriter?

and i sign under everything that guy said.

Quote Originally Posted by Cayenne View Post
    QUOTE FROM COMMENTS:
    The reviewer obviously has not played GW2. Arena Net sold the game on promises of being revolutionary and progressive then quickly added the traditional grind and abandoned the core selling points. Compare release sales with current number of daily log-ins and you will see the rapid decline of yet another failed game. Does anyone at Time bother to look at what's being submitted as articles or has editing and fact-checking gone the way of the typewriter?

and i sign under everything that guy said.
    Cry some more. GW2 is #6 played game on Xfire. WoW is #4 and LoL is #1. I'm guessing that you're just the vocal minority who isn't having fun with the game.

---------- Post added 2012-12-08 at 03:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by willowe View Post
    I'm just going to ask this. Don't flame me, and I'm not asking for an infraction. I loved GW2. Though for argument's sake one must ask:

Where did they have SWTOR rated last year?!

Was it even on the list? If it was, their gaming knowledge...well....yeah....
    Who knows but look at the list of games he has in his top 10. Very solid list and nothing that I really disagree with. Him leaving off D3 also shows he isn't just trying to throw popular games on there as well.

EDIT - SWTOR wasn't in Time's top 10 last year. The #1 game was Minecraft. Here's the list.
    Last edited by carnifex2005; 2012-12-08 at 04:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    EDIT - SWTOR wasn't in Time's top 10 last year. The #1 game was Minecraft. Here's the list.
    Lev Grossman is another good gaming journalist, and that's quite a solid list as well.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Lev Grossman is another good gaming journalist, and that's quite a solid list as well.
    Indeed. Looking at last and this year's listing they are both extremely respectable. I did a little cross checking and most of what Time listed is critically well received. And there doesn't seem to be any real concession to marketability.

Time were just fine placing Portal 2 second on the list or Sword & Sworcery [excellent btw] above & below blockbuster such as Arkham City. And this year's list does the same- Torchlight, Xcom, Halo 4, etc.

Probably the most critically bulletproof list one can write up. If there is a valid criticism it's in how safe their picks are-- like nothing reviewed poorly in other outlets.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-12-08 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    Think I'll be sticking with TIME's writers. They seem to be fairly hype proof; hell I remembered all of the praise and awards SWTOR achieved shortly after its release. I'm wanting to get back into that game, but it needs some major fixing.

Last Story and Xenoblade both made that list (And Xenoblade was all kinds of fucking awesome). TOR did not last year, but Skyward Sword made #3, directly behind Portal 2 (and not Skyrim). Despite my misgivings about Guild Wars 2 as recent, I will give Time credit for a well versed list.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Because they're often very different beasts and while I guess objectively there are critera for what makes a "good game" (Fencers will leap in here with commentary about consistancy in systems or something to that effect. =D ) it still seems a *little* bit like apples and oranges. Kinda like having an awards show that mixes Movies and TV shows in the same category...they're similar in a lot of ways, but still different enough that mixing them would seem odd. =D

It's not just that they're constantly changing, it's also that MMO's have (traditionally) been judged on ability to retain players, replayability of content, lifespan of content, etc. When some reviewer gets to level 7 and says, "The game is really pretty and my character had a cool sword!" then gives it a 4.5 star rating, I just wanna vomit.

Of course, it's understandable. Few reviewers are actually going to sit down and actually level a character through the whole game, much less get to max level and do stuff. =)

The reviews on SWTOR are an excellent example of what happens when reviewers poke their head into an MMO for a few minutes.

If you have issues with the things I post, then address them and tell me why I'm wrong. Following me from thread to thread saying that I'm a hater, troll, whatever, really doesn't do a whole lot for your position.
    Gotta say, I see you carrying a lot of disappointment with you regarding Guild Wars 2 and you do unload it on almost every post in the sub forum and probably elsewhere too (I only check about 2 topics now and again).

That being said, I wouldn't put you in the same boat as Infinite, he really is something else entirely.

GW2 is a game that is giving me time and time again and I certainly consider it best MMO of 2012, and indeed the last 2 years. I would agree with it being top of the list, in all genres.. I don't even play it much and annoy my friends by always listing its minor shortcomings and annoying UI interactions or the bugs. - but this hasn't really been a big year for gaming for me - other than Diablo 3, which was good but also disappointing, I can't think of another game I was eagerly anticipating

---------- Post added 2012-12-08 at 09:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Indeed. Looking at last and this year's listing they are both extremely respectable. I did a little cross checking and most of what Time listed is critically well received. And there doesn't seem to be any real concession to marketability.

Time were just fine placing Portal 2 second on the list or Sword & Sworcery [excellent btw] and below blockbuster such as Arkham City. And this year's list does the same- Torchlight, Xcom, Halo 4, etc.

Probably the most critically bulletproof list one write up. If there is a valid criticism it's in how safe their picks are-- like nothing reviewed poorly in other outlets.
    I've never been into Minecraft in the slightest (I've given Terraria more hours), I think it's a great game and I appreciate what the guys done but I wouldn't put it above Portal 2 myself. But then I would also have BF3 as my second on the list.

Agree that Time has very respectable lists though, seemingly away from hype and market influence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

While it is a good list, I have one issue: FTL and TSW are not on that list. As for GW2, I'm not sure if I'd put it at #1 for me, but comparing it to the other games on the list, it deserves its spot.

Definitely should not be #1 compared to other games that came out this year. Just... no. It shouldn't even make top 10. Maybe top 20.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    Definitely should not be #1 compared to other games that came out this year. Just... no. It shouldn't even make top 10. Maybe top 20.
    One of these days someone will bring out a top 10 everyone can agree on...

I agree with most of that list except GW2. If it was the game ArenaNet hyped it up to be, maybe. It's honestly nothing more than a westernized Korean grinder in it's current state though (tons of effort, very little reward, broken content everywhere, tons of push towards the cash shop, etc.). I guess that's to be expected with NCSoft @ the reins (and Nexon chomping at the bit). That's all referring to PvE, don't even get me started on the failure that is sPvP/WvW (the one thing that could save this game/make it way more popular and still hasn't received any love).

Maybe if GW2 was somewhere in the middle/bottom of the list, but #1? Something just doesn't seem right about that.
    Last edited by Maconi; 2012-12-10 at 06:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    What would be a better option? Black Ops 2? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Maconi View Post
    I agree with most of that list except GW2. If it was the game ArenaNet hyped it up to be, maybe. It's honestly nothing more than a westernized Korean grinder in it's current state though (tons of effort, very little reward, broken content everywhere, tons of push towards the cash shop, etc.). I guess that's to be expected with NCSoft @ the reins (and Nexon chomping at the bit). That's all referring to PvE, don't even get me started on the failure that is sPvP/WvW (the one thing that could save this game/make it way more popular and still hasn't received any love).

Maybe if GW2 was somewhere in the middle/bottom of the list, but #1? Something just doesn't seem right about that.
    Are you playing the same game as the rest of us?

tons of effort - What? you can reach 80 in no time, and dungeons don't require much effort if you're in a group that atleast understands how to tie their own shoes
    very little reward - Again, what? you can get the EXP mode armor sets with very little effort, that plus the large Trading Post gives you an extremely easy way to obtain anything
    broken content everywhere - The only broken content i've seen so far was the Lost Shores weekend, and the only broken part of that for me was the lag
    tons of push towards the cash shop - Apart from the fact there's no need to use it at all, and even if you did want to use it you can convert in-game Gold to Gems
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    What would be a better option? Black Ops 2? lol
    Xenoblade is damn well worthy of the spot it has on that list, and could have been nudged higher if GW2 wasn't in the way. If the article wasn't written prior to the game's launch, I would say Persona4Golden as an instant candidate as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolsteak View Post
    Are you playing the same game as the rest of us?

tons of effort - What? you can reach 80 in no time, and dungeons don't require much effort if you're in a group that atleast understands how to tie their own shoes
    very little reward - Again, what? you can get the EXP mode armor sets with very little effort, that plus the large Trading Post gives you an extremely easy way to obtain anything
    broken content everywhere - The only broken content i've seen so far was the Lost Shores weekend, and the only broken part of that for me was the lag
    tons of push towards the cash shop - Apart from the fact there's no need to use it at all, and even if you did want to use it you can convert in-game Gold to Gems
    I guess I should have said I was referring specifically to end-game PvE. I'll agree that lvl 80 and a set of dungeon gear/exotic gear is easy to obtain, that's part of the problem I suppose (I got mine within the first couple weeks). I quit before the whole fractals thing. When I played, other than getting a set of gear you wanted for looks, all you had to do was grind for your T3 armor and Legendary weapon. 0 rewards to be had inbetween. Weeks/months of grinding the same content over and over for gear that will probably be obsolete by the time you finally get it (you could argue that WoW is similar, but at least they give it to you piece by piece, so you feel like you're making progress along the way, not that I'm praising WoW at all with that comment). That's what I was referring to (all that work for something that doesn't even really feel all that rewarding in the end anyway).

Maybe fractals has solved that. I don't know. If GW2 is still relevant a year or so from now (and still receiving positive reviews) I may check it out again. They've lost me until then.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Xenoblade is damn well worthy of the spot it has on that list, and could have been nudged higher if GW2 wasn't in the way. If the article wasn't written prior to the game's launch, I would say Persona4Golden as an instant candidate as well.
    Xenoblade isn't exactly a 2012 release, so I'm not sure why it's even on there and the other I've never even heard of...which isn't surprising after looking up what it is. It's a bit of a pipedream to expect niche market games to make mainstream top 10 lists.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Xenoblade isn't exactly a 2012 release, so I'm not sure why it's even on there and the other I've never even heard of...which isn't surprising after looking up what it is. It's a bit of a pipedream to expect niche market games to make mainstream top 10 lists.
    Xenoblade's #2 on the list because as a North American 2012 release, it held its own quite well, an anticipated game that did not disappoint.

As for Persona4, taking a "never heard of it, must be niche and/or terrible" approach is pretty lulzy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Xenoblade's #2 on the list because as a North American 2012 release, it held its own quite well, an anticipated game that did not disappoint.

As for Persona4, taking a "never heard of it, must be niche and/or terrible" approach is pretty lulzy.
    Xenoblade came out in 2011 though, it was just released in North America in 2012...hence idk why it's on this list. I didn't say anywhere that I think it's shitty.

Also where did I say that other one was terrible? I don't even know what it is, ergo never played it so how can I have formed an opinion on it's quality? I see no reason for you to get all defensive and snarky when I gave you a completely valid reason why it's nowhere to be found.

Deleted
    Well, congratulations to Arenanet!
    In my opinion, they did indeed deserve the #1 spot on the ranking.

It's a (very) good game, too bad that some people just see it as a "failed wow-killer".