Pandaria free trial question

Ok, so I load Cata from disk. What process do I go through to get the Pandaria free trial available without buying the disk? Do I dl a patch from a mirror and install, or does the Launcher do all the work for me?

This process is not intuitive, at all.

Thanks.

Deleted
    the cata patch 5.0 included all of MoP so initiate the 10 day trial, log in and you'll be able to go to Pandaria afaik

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tenzing21 View Post
    This process is not intuitive, at all.
    Hahaha, ha, haha. You have to do nothing but launch the game (you could read the explanation of the statusbar, if you want to...) and it works, and that is not intuitive? Hahaha.

Yeah, it's not intuitive, because after hitting the launcher... nothing is launched. Nothing gets downloaded, and wow.exe doesn't even execute. There's gotta be a way to get the Pandaria files by using a Blizz-supplied function. But I don't know what it is.

Yeah, it's not intuitive, because after hitting the launcher... nothing is launched. Nothing gets downloaded, and wow.exe doesn't even execute. There's gotta be a way to get the Pandaria files by using a Blizz-supplied function. But I don't know what it is.
    Em, you already have the Pandaria content downloaded. To take the 10 day free trial just go to battle.net and on the side you'll see a 10 day free trial of MoP.

Quote Originally Posted by Kneepel View Post
    Em, you already have the Pandaria content downloaded. To take the 10 day free trial just go to battle.net and on the side you'll see a 10 day free trial of MoP.
    I'm pretty sure I do not have the content, since I have never played Wow from this machine. I just now barely installed Cata, so I wouldn't know where the Panda content came from.

I'm pretty sure I do not have the content, since I have never played Wow from this machine. I just now barely installed Cata, so I wouldn't know where the Panda content came from.
    unless you didnt have internet when you downloaded wow it downloaded all the files for you.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    unless you didnt have internet when you downloaded wow it downloaded all the files for you.
    See, that's my problem. I haven't downloaded anything. I installed Cata from disk a few minutes ago. I'm pretty sure Panda is a DVD worth of content. How do I dl it??

Deleted
    I don't know, but if you start WoW and nothing happens, then you have other issues, don't you? The whole process is perfectly intuitive, but not if WoW doesn't work, obviously, but that's the same as saying it's not intuitive because your PC won't even boot... Fix WoW and it will download whatever you still need.

See, that's my problem. I haven't downloaded anything. I installed Cata from disk a few minutes ago. I'm pretty sure Panda is a DVD worth of content. How do I dl it??
    when you open the launcher it should download the patch if you need it if it doesnt then try to log in and see if it works if it does then you have it already if it doesnt you may need to reinstall with the downloader from blizzard
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Tenzig it almost sounds like your initial installation went wrong. You can copy your old installation from your other computer on to a portable device and then copy it on to the new computer.

I'm not 100% sure but if your going by discs don't you need to install the original game, then BC, then WOTLK before installing Cata? If it still doesn't work you should be able to download it from the main website.

Either way once you have installed Cata it should update to the latest patches. Once your done log in to your account and there will be an option to activate the 10 day trial. Just note though your limited to lvl 85 so you can only go through the Jade Forest but you will gain xp so you will eventually cap out at 12999999/13000000 XP. You can still ride around the other areas though. Pet Battles and owning your own farm is the only new feature you can try out. You can level your professions as far as I could see there was no limit to that.

I'm installing Cata to a different partition, then going to use the download files option from battle.net. If that doesn't work, I'll just see about buying used Panda disks so I at least can get this started. I wish clicking that button just made you good to go, but it still seems there are other hoops to jump through. Le sigh.

I'm installing Cata to a different partition, then going to use the download files option from battle.net. If that doesn't work, I'll just see about buying used Panda disks so I at least can get this started. I wish clicking that button just made you good to go, but it still seems there are other hoops to jump through. Le sigh.
    So, the issue stands that your Launcher doesn't actually launch. Something went amiss in your installation. Just "getting the MoP discs" won't fix that, cause you'll still have patches to do (we are on 5.1 already, and MoP disc's will only be like 5.0.1 I think?).

You need to resolve the issue with your install, before just going out and borrowing a friend's discs, cause buying used discs isn't too likely. It's not likely any game store will get returned copies of MoP and keep em, barring them still unopened, cause the product key may have been used, making the contents virtually worthless, not to mention, not a soul who was playing prior to MoP's launch had to use the discs anyways, cause it was all patched in beforehand.

The issue is with your installation and your Launcher not working. The issue is NOT with "not having the MoP discs".
    Games are not necessarily "easier" today. You are just a better player.
    It takes more now to impress many gamers than it did 2-5 years ago, because so much has already been seen and done.
    Many players expect to be wow'd with every release of a beloved franchise.
    These are generally NOT the fault of the developers, but the fault of many players over-hyping and/or setting expectations too high.

If I get the Panda disks, it will use that launcher to fill in the gaps. But I fail to see how not having Panda, but having Cata and activating your free trial should require anything other then clicking on the button on battle.net, waiting for the files then playing. Ofc, there could be an installation issue. Which I'll investigate after I re-install Cata.

edit Ok, re-installing Cata to a different partition, then using the downloaded Setup enUS exe from battle.net is now dl'ing the files. Must have been an installation issue on my end, as it now is working the way I would assume it would work.
    Last edited by tenzing21; 2012-12-10 at 05:47 PM.