Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    Deleted

[Fire] Hotfix Dec 10th

Critical Mass now multiplies the critical strike chance of Fireball, Frostfire Bolt, Pyroblast, and Scorch by 1.3 (was 1.25).

Inferno Blast now spreads Ignite, Pyroblast, and Combustion to 3 surrounding targets.

How much of a increase to DPS would this be, i havent got a clue with regarding to using sims and what not so any results would be gratefully appreciated.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I know I shouldn't but I'm getting pissed at this nerf one week, buff the next one because they realised that they over nerf you.

10+ Year Old Account
    No joke... do they just crap-shoot this shit and pick a random number out of a bag? Or do they actually sim it and ever even test anything against real-world fights/mechanics...

OP. It'll help a little, but not anything significant...

Seriously what is the point of the inferno blast change? Why would they buff that instead of other things..

So mages were out of control OP, got nerfed, were still totally fine, and got a little buff... and you... complain?

Heh.

---------- Post added 2012-12-11 at 03:40 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Erik765 View Post
    No joke... do they just crap-shoot this shit and pick a random number out of a bag? Or do they actually sim it and ever even test anything against real-world fights/mechanics...

OP. It'll help a little, but not anything significant...
    Seems like they are doing what everybody asked and tweaking things with small numbers. Which is good balancing.

I wonder if mages are just stupid because their class is faceroll easy and top3 which rots their brain after too long, or if it's just coincdence.

Pitiful attempt for compensation of the nerf, now all the kewl kids are arc, and then when it becomes too "OP" they will nerf arc, even though they just did buff it and the never ending spiral continues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kinda glad this happened. It's better that they fix it later. Sure they make a mistake but...they learn from it. Sheez..damned if you do damned if you don't.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Animaneth View Post
    I know I shouldn't but I'm getting pissed at this nerf one week, buff the next one because they realised that they over nerf you.
    I'm actually inclined to agree with you. I'll even go as far as to note a trend that started in Cata if not earlier. And that trend goes something like this...

1. Cata launches, fire is fantastic.
    2. Several weeks in Blizzard nerfs fire.
    3. Around the launch of DS Blizzard returns fire to it's Cata-launch state.
    4. MoP launches and Fire is great.
    5. After a few weeks Blizzard nerfs fire.
    6. A few weeks later Blizzard (briefly) buffs fire.
    7. Less than a week later they nerf Fire again.
    8. Less than a week after that they give fire a very minor buff.

I might expect these sort of balance issues if Fire Mage were new. But, really, the spec/class has been in game since launch. Does it really take eight years (and counting) to balance?

Quote Originally Posted by Demondar View Post
    Pitiful attempt for compensation of the nerf, now all the kewl kids are arc, and then when it becomes too "OP" they will nerf arc, even though they just did buff it and the never ending spiral continues.
    Mages needed a nerf, this isn't compensation, this is balancing, fine tuning, what players with any semblence of a clue about how this game works have been asking for, for YEARS.

If you worry about the "kewl kids" and what spec they play, well I don't even know what to say. Just bad really, lol.

---------- Post added 2012-12-11 at 03:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    I might expect these sort of balance issues if Fire Mage were new. But, really, the spec/class has been in game since launch. Does it really take eight years (and counting) to balance?
    Balancing doesn't just "end" it is constant. Evolving with the game as it changes.

Do NONE of you have a clue? :S Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post

1. Cata launches, fire is fantastic.
    2. Several weeks in Blizzard nerfs fire.
    ?
    are you talking about the Cata Launcyh fire where we had to scorch weave to keep from Going oom?
    Yeah... it was fantastic
    They nerfed the bugged Pyromaniac eventually yes, but that was after they buffed fire by making it so you didn't go oom casting fireball.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Choptimus View Post
    So mages were out of control OP, got nerfed, were still totally fine, and got a little buff... and you... complain?

Heh.

Seems like they are doing what everybody asked and tweaking things with small numbers. Which is good balancing.

I wonder if mages are just stupid because their class is faceroll easy and top3 which rots their brain after too long, or if it's just coincdence.
    i have no clue how u consider -20k dps totally fine everyone changed spec after the nerf, also saying mage is faceroll easy is just totally stupid thing to say i have yet to find a class that actually was any hard and i played 10/11 classes at decent progression, every single class is the same faceroll 4 button smashing with the occasional cd use and procs

This is A compensation for an overshot nerf = balancing. You want to advocate for more mage nerfs I don't think you are in the right place to do so. Besides there's been so many nerfs lately for the mage class overall I don't think there's enough space on these forums for me to tell you kewl stories about ruined fire aoe etc and now absymal single target.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vamonos View Post
    i have no clue how u consider -20k dps totally fine everyone changed spec after the nerf, also saying mage is faceroll easy is just totally stupid thing to say i have yet to find a class that actually was any hard and i played 10/11 classes at decent progression, every single class is the same faceroll 4 button smashing with the occasional cd use and procs
    Fire mages were fine: http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overall_D.../all/7/30/avg/

10+ Year Old Account
    Fire is now more in line with other specs, but it seems like many of the top level progression mages are switching specs. not sure if you qualify that as "fine".
    Playing
    WildStar -Mechari Medic, Draken Stalker
    Diablo: RoS
    GW2 - Ranger

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiry View Post
    Fire is now more in line with other specs, but it seems like many of the top level progression mages are switching specs. not sure if you qualify that as "fine".
    Fire wasn't #1 on all the fights, but it was fine compared to other classes.

We'll see. A minor buff from an over dramatic nerf. I have no arcane gear so switching was a bit out of the question for a good while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    I don't get it. I've gone AFK a million times to blow my bf so he'd get off my back and let me raid. What's the problem here? People have sex...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrate View Post
    We'll see. A minor buff from an over dramatic nerf. I have no arcane gear so switching was a bit out of the question for a good while.
    Then go frost? Fire gear works fine with frost and unless you really hate frost there's nothing wrong with it.
    MB: Asus Maximus V Extreme CPU: 3770k@4.5Ghz custom water loop GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 RAM: Corsair 4x4GB 1600Mhz 7-8-8-24
    SSD: Samsung 830 256GB PSU: Corsair AX850 CASE: Corsair 800D
    Armory

Quote Originally Posted by vamonos View Post
    See raidbots, it was fine. If you were 20k DPS below your raid as a fire mage after the nerf, youbad.

Fire has always been retardproof: Keep 1 debuff up, spam 1 button until a second lights up, push second button.

Armory of those 10 classes with decent progression and ranks?

Quote Originally Posted by Choptimus View Post

Heh.

Exactly. This is how the balancing should be done. Small tweaks week to week til it feels right.

I HATE it when people think simming crap can just outright determine balance. That's such a wrong stance to have and so many people think nothing else but sims matters.

And yea, mages are ridiculously spoiled. The class never DOESN'T have a top 3 DPS spec.

Blizzard have always over nerfed and then gone back to buff.
    Large number tweaks show better results towards a given direction.
    In order to see a desired result of bringing fire in line a buff/nerf roller coaster is necessary. Fire has a large spread between lowest possible and highest possible, just look at raid bots on all passes for any given week.

They needed to see how a nerf to critical mass would effect top players as well as bottom players and then try and strike a middle ground for both.
    raidbots/wol shows you top players still top geared/top players doing well in fire with the 1.25 nerf but low end gear/players suffered quite a bit.
    Critical Mass at 1.3 helps the low end FAR more than the top end. Further balance was done with Inferno Blast to again bring fire inline. Honestly fires cleave was (and arguably still is) fantastic.