Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Music in the US is like how you describe it. Most other places that isn't the case.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Music really started to hit the slow decline in the late 80's I think, it isn't all doom and gloom even in the 90's as there were still a lot of good quality bands but it really wasn't until around the mid 90's when pop acts really started to rise thanks to the Disney Channel and shit. Basically, The Backseat Boys (as we used to call them), The Spice Girls (Sluts is more like it) and Brittney Spears kinda came out of nowhere and really proved that it didn't take a lot of talent to sell music, and the trend has continued to this day unfortunately. However that said, the pop acts of the late 90's aren't nearly as bad as those of the post-2000 era of pop radio, and the rise of great acts like Muse, The Black Keys and Mumford and Sons in recent years has really started to suggest that there is a big thirst for newer and more unique music among the current teen generation.

Now you are starting to see all these pop idols start to dwindle and fade away at a very slow pace. Those who were hugely popular a couple of years ago are now musically irrelevant, people don't care about the likes of Chris Brown and Little Wayne musically anymore, their popularity has gone out the window, that train has left the station for them. Sure, maybe Beiber stays popular for a couple more years, same goes for Lady Gaga, but if they want to have longevity and popularity for a long period of time, they need to do what so many artists haven't done and that is reinvent themselves musically. Sure, maybe this alienates some of your fans, but most of their fans have grown up with them, so maturing the music might be a little more well received in the end.

I don't think it's all doom and gloom for rock music, it's just taken a back seat the last 20 years but has still been relatively strong overall with both older bands still touring and new up and coming bands doing their own thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shitty bands will be shitty but rock and roll will never die as long as there is depression, inequality and shit like that. People will get inspired. People will always stand up and say fuck you to stupid shit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5jtkbYRLBE <--- rock and roll right there. ---> more rock and roll http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QP-SIW6iKY it wont die. evolve? of course. but the very essence of it lives on in many people.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Rock N Roll, much like Metal, will never die. Just because it's not in the top 20 hits for kids, doesn't mean it's dead.

Deleted
    The Stones put out their new song this year and it's damn awesome. Warning the video does have some nudity in it but it's on youtube without issue so I don't see it being an issue here. If it is I have a ban incoming no doubt. It's still a kick ass tune though.

When there is stuff like that kicking around rock will never die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Rock N Roll, much like Metal, will never die. Just because it's not in the top 20 hits for kids, doesn't mean it's dead.
    Rock 'n Roll will NEVER Die..... That's a fact.

Okay, here's my contribution.
    I'm an Oldtimer already now. I'm of the same age as many old classic rock bands members are. When I grew up, I was influenced by my father, who was playing music with some local bands on the weekend at dance halls, to make a little extra income for the household. I guess, I was like 3 or 4 years old, when first I sat behind a drum set.
    I grew up with Rock 'n Roll in the house. They've played the late Rock 'n Roll and early Beat music. And that's what I soaked up with the mothers milk, ya know...
    My first idols were the Beatles. Still a kiddo, I was mesmerized by them. As I grew older, my taste for music developed. I got more attracted to the driving sounds of the classic Rock 'n Roll riffs invented by Chuck Berry. The bluesy heavy guitar steam talked to me the most.
    When I became a teenager, I was all into T-Rex, Slade, Kinks. Sweet.... okay there was Sweet too.... But they've been a "teenie band" for the girls, in Europe.
    I know they've been accepted as a Rock Band in the USA, but not so in Europe. There were others, very different ones.
    As I grew from the late 60's into the 70's I found my first big love. Creedence Clearwater Revival. Man, was I hooked. They've had it all.
    The base of every style I've mentioned already. Another thing I remember, an older cousin of mine introduced me to some completely different music. Something I've never heard before.... Emerson Lake and Palmer.... Pictures of an Exhibition. That entire album blew me away...
    So pretty early on, it became clearer and clearer, I was "different" to all my friends. I've listened to stuff no one else did, besides CCR..
    And then came the BIG change for me. The revelation of Rock happened to me.... Two Words..... LED ZEPPELIN.
    When Whole Lotta Love hit the charts, when I heard it for the first time, I was a complete emotional wreck. Never before had any music such an impact on me.
    THAT was the music I had in me, all my life. That was what I was longing for.
    From there on out, I changed, literally. My whole personality changed. I became a rebel. I opposed the establishment. I soaked all that music up, I didn't know before.
    Went to see the Woodstock movie. Learned the greatness of Hendrix and Joplin. The Who, Ten Years After, and all the great bands around.
    Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Jethro Tull, hey... I even warmed up to Uriah Heep. And well, sure enough I eventually got in contact with pot.
    I was still naive back then. lol... My friends were passing the joints around, and all I was wondering was, why the hell do they share their smokes, and not lite their own.
    Until one day, they finally told me what was going on lmao.. And hey.... that shit was great, the music sounded even better from there on out.
    At home however, despite the situation I've explained in the beginning, I ran into a generation conflict. My music wasn't welcomed. I remember being in fights and arguments with my parents over what I was listening, over and over again. Especially my mother couldn't stand any of it, period. It angered me, it hurt me, really bad even. Back then, I swore an oath to myself.
    When I am older, one day, I will NEVER judge what ever my kids and/or grand kids - if I ever have any - judge negatively for their music. I will never try to take their music away, or talk shit about the music they hear. I don't want them to go through the same shit I am going through.
    And I live up to it. Until today I do.

But boy this is very hard. What I did not foresee - and who could have - is the change in the music industry.
    My music is still around, and it won't go anywhere. But what changed is the marketing mechanisms. The money machinery driven landscape.
    Today, artists are made, rather than growing into popularity through skill and talent. Millions are getting pumped into individuals as an investment, that comes back with more millions made on them. After a couple or three years, they getting dumped, once the sales decline, because there's no great skill and talent present, and the next one gets fabricated. The key target group is kids from 4 - 16, and their parents, particularly moms.
    Today's music landscape is filled with mediocre artists that come by the dozens.
    And no, I am not betraying my oath. It is just what it is.
    But on the bright side... There are still vital signs of the good old Rock.
    Just look at the Lineup for Todays Sandy Relief concert. Besides Kanye West, which is a decent representative for his music style, and Alicia Keys, who does have substance, skill and a lot of talent, who's playing? That's right... Giants of the rock genre.

Hell, and it pleases me, when events occur like Led Zeppelin's 2007 O2 concert, and 20 million people apply for a ticket.
    Or when the Stones kick off their anniversary tour and the entire World Tour is sold out in 7 minutes.
    That's when you see, Rock still lives. Those numbers, those achievements speak books.
    It's also an indicator when you look at the top 25 most grossing artists of 2012. And you see the top 4 of them are..
    Dr. Dre, Roger Waters, Elton John, and U2.

Now you can try to argue about Dr. Dre... I don't. My oath forbids. It demanded my to be open to all music. And I actually love Dr Dre. Excellent talent. He's rightfully leading the Rap community in my opinion.

We cannot argue taste... That's crap to do. We can measure skill and evaluate talent though.

I truly believe that Rock is on a slow recovery road now again. Skill always prevailed and succeeded. Tendencies are showing, and are promising.

Last but not least, I agree with the OP's general claim.
    The music business is a dirty business. I've been part of it for some years. I was a roadie and concert promoter/manager before I got married. I've had a glimpse behind the scenes. No, it's not a conspiracy theory, that radio stations getting paid off.. It's a fact.
    And not just them... It's also concert critics. I've met critics who actually offered us bribe deals..
    Hey, I got a bunch of people, I want to get into the show, how about tossing me some 20 tickets, and I write an ass kicking good review?
    Or some other guy showing us the review of next days concert already...
    Good critics are vital to ticket sales. Not everyone's name is Rolling Stones and sells out entire tours within minutes. An artists concert performance today in one town, can and will influence the ticket sales for the next day in the next town. That's how the business rolls.
    Everyone is just after money. Dirty tricks are played by everyone.
    And it is a key reason for why Rock is on the low burner. Most Rock musicians don't play that game. They are true to themselves.
    Their success is natural. And I love and value that a lot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tomhyde1986 View Post
    The Stones put out their new song this year and it's damn awesome. Warning the video does have some nudity in it but it's on youtube without issue so I don't see it being an issue here. If it is I have a ban incoming no doubt. It's still a kick ass tune though.

When there is stuff like that kicking around rock will never die.
    you took the words out of my mouth mate. the new stones single sprang to mind, also.
    & yes, i named my priest after the band
    Last edited by mmoc4e24d898ce; 2012-12-13 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side View Post
    Thats the end of my rant, it the end i pin it all on Sting and his "I want my MTV", while catchy,drove everyone crazy.
    Thoughts?
    I think you should learn that "I Want My MTV" is actually called "Money for Nothing", is actually by Dire Straits, and actually mocks the whole "image" deal. While politically incorrect, the lyric "See the little faggot with the earring and the makeup, Yeah buddy that’s his own hair, That little faggot got his own jet airplane, That little faggot he’s a millionaire" kinda says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    I think you should learn that "I Want My MTV" is actually called "Money for Nothing", is actually by Dire Straits, and actually mocks the whole "image" deal. While politically incorrect, the lyric "See the little faggot with the earring and the makeup, Yeah buddy that’s his own hair, That little faggot got his own jet airplane, That little faggot he’s a millionaire" kinda says it all.
    Much like Nostradamus, they predicted the rise of Bieber.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Much like Nostradamus, they predicted the rise of Bieber.
    You can't say Mark Knopfler isn't a genius that's for sure

I've never heard of it, but if that song is a good sample of their music, I'm not very interested.

Deleted
    It's not dead just because it ain't on commercial TV or commercial Radio. The reason most bands have disappeared is they went shit, the likes of the Rolling Stones should of retired years ago, they are a joke now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    The Spice Girls (Sluts is more like it).
    Proves you know nothing about what you're talking about, and just sound like a bitter old man. The Spice Girls were never "slutty", the whole reason they appealed to masses was that they were "normal" down-to-earth girls not using their bodies to sell records.