Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    I still find the nerf a bit too harsh. For pve, it changes nothing, but in pvp, it makes a whole lot of difference. A good healer always dispels it before even 1-2 seconds passed.
    And let's face it, 120k crits ( mine were usually @ 100k tops on good pvp geared ) every 10 seconds or so ( 6 seconds to trigger, 4 cooldown ) inside a DF is not a big deal. Warriors, warlocks, priests, and basically every other class can pull 100k+ crits without such restrictions as frost.
    Call it what you want, but the nerf was only aimed towards something easily avoidable ( exiting / avoiding DF> Dispelling / reflecting / absorbing FB )

Also, my question still stands. Will haste be more valuable now since the nerf? The damage from FB benefited solely the mages that stacked mastery > 40% for that big crit inside DF. Now, I'd rather get faster casts > dots.
    Last edited by mmoc30581c569a; 2012-12-12 at 04:56 PM.

in reply to dethox, i believe locks and warriors were also overpowered and got nerfed accordingly. also quit busting nuts, when have you seen a priest crit for 100k.

Quote Originally Posted by Dethox View Post
    I still find the nerf a bit too harsh. For pve, it changes nothing, but in pvp, it makes a whole lot of difference. A good healer always dispels it before even 1-2 seconds passed.
    And let's face it, 120k crits ( mine were usually @ 100k tops on good pvp geared ) every 10 seconds or so ( 6 seconds to trigger, 4 cooldown ) inside a DF is not a big deal. Warriors, warlocks, priests, and basically every other class can pull 100k+ crits without such restrictions as frost.
    Call it what you want, but the nerf was only aimed towards something easily avoidable ( exiting / avoiding DF> Dispelling / reflecting / absorbing FB )

Also, my question still stands. Will haste be more valuable now since the nerf? The damage from FB benefited solely the mages that stacked mastery > 40% for that big crit inside DF. Now, I'd rather get faster casts > dots.
    That sounds very familiar, oh yeah when warlocks argued after the hotfix to CW/CB!

How about CC the healer before you burst every single time?
    The hotfix is needed, and good mages won't feel a thing anyways

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hplaner View Post
    That sounds very familiar, oh yeah when warlocks argued after the hotfix to CW/CB!

How about CC the healer before you burst every single time?
    The hotfix is needed, and good mages won't feel a thing anyways
    You don't pvp much do you? Either that, or at a very low rating.

all these people complaining about having to time their bombs... get over it. i been freezing the first bomb, nova'ing the second one, and ring of frosting the third then again i only use frost on dailies in shieldwall so i dont know what im talking about ;D

I guess you got a healer following you 24/7? No? Well thats the case for the majority, and no, most classes cant setup 100k+ bursts within seconds on command (and lets be honest, 100k is a low number since ppl will eat frostbolts and ice lances aswell)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethox View Post
    When you combine this nerf with the reduced duration of DF...Haste seems to be picking up a bit of points, though if it surpasses Mastery I do not know.
    BfA Beta Time

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem I see is that the vast majority of our burst comes from frost bomb shatters. If it gets dispelled then our burst at max is 2 ice lances at the 3 stack debuff. Remember that frost bomb is the only way to proc BF. We might have to use the fire blast glyph anyway just to maintain a decent, reliable burst.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    i only use frost on dailies in shieldwall so i dont know what im talking about ;D
    The problem is that these other complaining fools that don't know what this nerf actually means do the same, but instead of admitting it and having a cool attitude, they bash everyone even daring to back up the mage class.

The thing that is making Mages/Spriest overpowered in a pvp setting is the ability to set up burst almost on command. Deep freeze with a 30 second CD, lower if used correctly, Frost Bomb with a 10 second CD, 2 novas on a 25 second CD. If you look at any other class, they require blowing CD's to match the damage that a spirest/mage can put out every 10 to 15 seconds. That along with their almost endless control is what made them very hard to counter. The nerf is needed, but if looked at closely is just something to add more skill to the mage class. That is all that it is.
    Last edited by Sobriun; 2012-12-12 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aveyai View Post
    We might have to use the fire blast glyph anyway just to maintain a decent, reliable burst.
    Hitting for half i wouldn't call it decent. Either adapt to the lack of glyph, praying for no dispells, or get DoT (they also proc bf)

Deleted

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Quanille View Post
    Yeh but they haven't touched Ferals which are insanely OP against anything that relys on kiting, and hunters which can still crit in excess of 225k with powershot meanwhile their pets are also still able to rape an enemy on their own in a matter of seconds

GG blizz GG for making mages completely unable to ever do anything useful in arena.
    ye GL hitting with power shoot.
    wich btw is a 3s cast on a 1 min CD.
    but i do feed on your noobish mage tears

Infracted.
    Last edited by Shangalar; 2012-12-12 at 07:01 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    14 Mages in the top 150 players on Rampage. My BG has a 9.33% Mage representation. With 11 classes, perfect balance comes out to 9.09% per class...so it's nowhere near 2-3 times as high on my BG.
    http://www.worldofwargraphs.com/stat...-0--3-0-0.html - Outside of Shadow priests (whom are also being nerfed with the current hotfix and plays with a mage in many comps), there is a huge overrepresenation of frost mages when it comes to caster specs, and 2-3 times would be an understatement.
    If you look at class specific (seeing as close to none plays fire or arcane), mages are still above the median by quite a margin (only beaten by warriors, shamans, paladins and druids, where you have to keep in mind that healer classes often are overrepresentated).

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do people keep saying this won't affect PvE?

Am I the only one who uses this to smack mobs down within a couple GCDs for dailies? Triple shatter of Frostbolt/Fire Blast/Frost Bomb. Or using it on rares every Freeze CD.

Or for AoE farming with Frost Nova, Frost Bomb, Flamestrike, Fireblast detonation. With the 50% nerf to Fire Blast detonation of Frost Bomb, it greatly reduces the AoE because you can't double shatter Frost Bomb and Flamestrike.

Or how about using it for an extra FFB during glyphed IV when Frost Bomb will detonate after IV runs out.

Get your PvP out of my PvE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aquamonkey, spell damage and abilities are tuned based on Normal/Heroic Raiding and Arenas / Rated Battlegrounds. It is very likely that you will not feel this Frost Bomb adjustment in a raid setting, and you will feel it a lot in a PvP setting which is as it is supposed to be.

Convenience when clearing mobs for daily quests or aoe farming can be a significant issue, but this nerf will not make it impossible for you to continue doing so, it might just prolong it for a few extra seconds.

I'll say it's might convenient that I learned how to time my freezes with my frost bombs sans glyph recently. Can't say I like the nerf, though as a mage, I'm not exactly impartial.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Why do people keep saying this won't affect PvE?

Am I the only one who uses this to smack mobs down within a couple GCDs for dailies? Triple shatter of Frostbolt/Fire Blast/Frost Bomb. Or using it on rares every Freeze CD.

Or for AoE farming with Frost Nova, Frost Bomb, Flamestrike, Fireblast detonation. With the 50% nerf to Fire Blast detonation of Frost Bomb, it greatly reduces the AoE because you can't double shatter Frost Bomb and Flamestrike.

Or how about using it for an extra FFB during glyphed IV when Frost Bomb will detonate after IV runs out.

Get your PvP out of my PvE.
    Weird no one saw this nerf coming.. it was doing to much damage that wasn't blockable in anyway, so stop QQing in pve it was to good.

I'd say well deserved

10+ Year Old Account
    I think this adjustment was expected. The only question was, how much of a tuning where they going to do. In a pve situation, it's fine, there are several other tools at our disposal.
    Playing
    WildStar -Mechari Medic, Draken Stalker
    Diablo: RoS
    GW2 - Ranger

I think it's funny how warlocks and spriests come in here and say welcome to the caster world. Don't you guys have a dispell mechanic? Dispelling a frost bomb is a no brainer. Nothing bad happens (not feared or silenced like for your classes) and it negates 160ish K damage (frost bomb + ffb). Now the only thing we have doing damage is ice lance on a FF proc or during a nova.

At the moment it adds no skill. Just luck that you get a noob dispeller that would rather try to heal the damage than prevent it.

Add a dispell mechanic, like all other casters that rely on dispellable dots, then maybe it would add some skill to the class.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkthepunk View Post
    http://www.worldofwargraphs.com/stat...-0--3-0-0.html - Outside of Shadow priests (whom are also being nerfed with the current hotfix and plays with a mage in many comps), there is a huge overrepresenation of frost mages when it comes to caster specs, and 2-3 times would be an understatement.
    If you look at class specific (seeing as close to none plays fire or arcane), mages are still above the median by quite a margin (only beaten by warriors, shamans, paladins and druids, where you have to keep in mind that healer classes often are overrepresentated).
    I'm sorry, but your link still shows Mages (the entire class) making up 9.8% of the total arena representation...which is perfectly fine, only 0.71 above what it should be for perfect balance in the game.
    BfA Beta Time