Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Other] Best & Worst Album/Game/Movie/Book of 2012?

Well the years pretty much at an end and I'm curious to see what everyone thinks were the best and the worst releases of this year in all the various forms of media

On the worst list, don't just for example say Twilight if you didn't see it, don't just say Nickelback if you didn't actually listen to it, don't just say anything is the worst unless you literally did experience it. No bandwagon hating on stuff you don't even experience lol. The worst answers should be the worst of the media that you did actually listen to, watch, play, or read.

So copy/paste and fill it out!

BEST
    Music Album Of The Year :
    Movie Of The Year :
    Video Game Of The Year :
    Book Of The Year :

WORST (Most dissapointing that you actually did Listen to/Watch/Play/Read)
    Music Album Of The Year :
    Movie Of The Year :
    Video Game Of The Year :
    Book Of The Year :
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My own answers :
    BEST
    Music Album Of The Year : "Autotheism" by The Faceless & "Periphery II : This Time It's Personal" by Periphery (Tie Basically)
    Movie Of The Year : Men In Black 3
    Video Game Of The Year : Madden 13
    Book Of The Year : N/A

Music Album Of The Year : "Kids In The Street" By The All American Rejects
    Movie Of The Year : Prometheus
    Video Game Of The Year : Mists Of Pandaria

10+ Year Old Account
    Video Game Of The Year : Armored Core V.

I have been a loyal AC fan from the very beginning. The Demo to AC made me buy a Playstation, i have played and 100% beaten every single AC game EVER. I loved the xbox/PS2 era AC's, the fast high flying gameplay was amazing, worlds apart from the slow giants in prior AC games. It felt good

ACV has to be the biggest, piece of shit, slap in the face i have ever played, and as a old school sonic fan it takes alot to disappoint me but ACV was shit, a stain, a game i played for all over 4 hours then took it right back.

Like the sonic series, i dont know if i will be buying another AC ever again.

"Humility defeats pride, Master Yang has preached. Pride defeats man"

10+ Year Old Account
    My own answers, I took the liberty of adding a TV Show entry, because I figure it fits with the theme :
    BEST
    Music Album Of The Year: Muse 2nd Law
    Movie Of The Year: The Avengers, WHAT a film. If every comic book movie could be like this, I would be very very happy. Honorable mention to Cabin in the Woods, which I knew NOTHING about, but was very pleased with.
    Video Game Of The Year Warrior Orochi 3 (but I've not played Assassin's Creed 3 yet, and although I LOVE it, MoP doesn't count it's just an expac not a game)
    Book Of The Year: Tricky.... Well I was still reading Dance with Dragons in 2012, does that count?
    TV Series of the Year: Him and Her season 2, seriously this show is brilliant, it's the kind of thing you could ONLY get in the UK but I love everything about it. Honorable mentions to Wilfred Season 2, Game of Thrones season 2, Sherlock season 2 and Misfits season 4

WORST (Most disappointing that you actually did Listen to/Watch/Play/Read)
    Music Album Of The Year: I only buy good albums
    Movie Of The Year: Twilight. Okay I didn't actually SEE it, just the fact it exists dissapoints me
    Video Game Of The Year: SWTOR, seriously I was HYPED for this game, didn't even last me two months, WHAT a waste of like £200, even now it's F2P I CBA with it.
    Book Of The Year: Wind Through the Keyhole by Stephen King, we were promised a further insight into the world of the Gunslinger, we did not get that, we got a boring kid walking through swamp.
    TV Show of the Year: Dr Who season... whatever the hell we're up to now. Tbh with the exception of the last episode, which was everything I wanted and more, this season was REALLY disappointing, I pray they can pick it up for next year. Dishonorable mention to Being Human season 4, which was just fairly bland throughout, never QUITE hitting the mark the previous seasons managed so easily to strike. This is probably due to killing off basically the whole cast and replacing them with younger, shitter actors.
    Last edited by Gallahadd; 2012-12-12 at 02:04 AM.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    WORST (Most disappointing that you actually did Listen to/Watch/Play/Read)
    Video Game Of The Year: SWTOR, seriously I was HYPED for this game, didn't even last me two months, WHAT a waste of like £200, even now it's F2P I CBA with it.
    SWTOR came out in 2011, not 2012
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah but it came out Mid december, I'd still count that a 2012 release, plus it was SO bad it is the winner two years running.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    yeah but it came out Mid december, I'd still count that a 2012 release, plus it was SO bad it is the winner two years running.
    From my point of view, 2011 is 2011 and 2012 is 2012 and if standards shift around then there's no point having them at all and this could just be a thread of "Best and Worst" without years included.

I could just as easily say that <game X> is so BAD it deserves to be the winner five years running.
    Last edited by Wilian; 2012-12-12 at 02:32 AM.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh jeez, a thread that actually requires me to think! What have you done?! Lets seee...

Bbest
    Music Album Of The Year : Paul Oakenfold - Fluorescence - Essential Mix. Proving to me once again that he is the godfather of Trance.
    Movie Of The Year : The Cabin in the Woods, genius, superhero movies and middle Earth I've seen before, but this is just brilliant.
    Video Game Of The Year : Borderlands 2. The game I clocked the most time in that got released this year, and also the most fun I've had in a video game this year, close second is Far Cry 3, that was an amazing experience, it was like a damn movie, loved it, but Borderlands 2 for me, I have a PC and Xbox copy. ><
    Book Of The Year : Don't read books, sorry

Worst
    Music Album Of The Year : Haven't really listened to a bad album, as I'm usually just listening to livesets and podcast and stuff like that, that has my kind of music on them.
    Movie Of The Year : Men In Black 3. Fuck. Why did I pay to see it?
    Video Game Of The Year : Though one, I wouldn't say I played a bad game, but there were some disappointments. AC:3 probably being the biggest. Expected more of the ending, could improve once they release another explaining wtf happened.
    Book Of The Year : Don't read books, sorry.

This thread shall not end well.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    This thread shall not end well.
    Most threads that force us to use our opinions usually don't end well. Sucks though, it's a pretty reasonable topic.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Best Album: Clockwork Angels by Rush, hands down their best album since Moving Pictures and probably one of their best albums in their nearly 40 year history.
    Best Video Game: Borderlands 2, I have sunk over 200 hours into it and it's still loads of fun.
    Best Movie: Ted, currently anyway, The Hobbit might trump it, we shall find out soon.
    Best Book: Most of the books I have read have been out for a while now, however I recently finished The Way of Kings: Book 1 of the Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson and that was an excellent book, but I also read all of the Wheel of Time books and The Alloy of Law this year, which were fantastic too. Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson are two of my favorite authors.

Worst Album: The 2nd Law by Muse, if I wanted to listen to derpstep or Queen, I would listen to derpstep or Queen. Sorry boys but you guys gotta go back to the Showbiz and Origin of Symmetry days and can all this pseudo house music shite.
    Worst Video Game: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition for the PC. What an absolute poor excuse for a game at release. Locked resolution, shitty controls and bugs galore, typical of developers and their piss poor development approach to making PC games. It took far too long to make the game playable, and to me it's still not worth the money since the game plays like ass without a controller.
    Worst Movie: Men in Black 3, seriously why did they do this?
    Worst Book: The Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling, what an overhype bag of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    Most threads that force us to use our opinions usually don't end well. Sucks though, it's a pretty reasonable topic.
    Yeah, as long as people are mature about the differences in opinions

I got 2 people calling my pick for favorite movie of the year their pick for worst? But am mature enough to not care and turn it into some kind of derailing. I thought it was great personally

I still haven't seen Ted yet but I think that one could be way up there it seems very funny

Oh yeah also someone added TV show, I think the best TV show to have just come out this year would be Brickleberry (Featuring Daniel Tosh), pretty funny show!

No Best game of the year so I will just have 2 worsts

GW2 and D3

10+ Year Old Account
    Best:
    Music Album Of The Year : The Black Keys: El Camino (It was released in Dec 2011 but I didn't hear it until this summer because I didn't even realize they made a new album ROFL ) But! If you want to count that out since it was 2011 my vote is for Jack White's Blunderbuss.

Movie Of The Year : I want to say Django Unchained because Tarantino is the fucking master but it somehow..... did not come out in my town (/suicide) So my vote is for The Cabin In The Woods

Video Game Of The Year : BLOPS2 (YEAH!!! THAT'S RIGHT!!!) With Guild Wars 2 Being tied with it

TV Series: Its impossible for me to choose just one because for me, Season 7 of Dexter and Season 2 of Homeland (which bothI watched back to back in the last two weeks!) Are neck and neck.

Worst:

Music Album Of The Year : I don't listen to shitty music so my vote is Cruel Summer by GOOD Music... The album was pushed back a million times and they released HALF of the tracks on the damn album (which were pretty much the cream of the crop of the whole damn album) as singles before it was finally released so there wasn't much to look forward to when I finally got to hear it. Plus.... It needed more Kanye!

Movie Of The Year : ATM.... One of the most biggest piles of shit I have EVER seen

Video Game Of The Year : This one is easy... Diablo 3.

TV Series: Weeds... The final season sucked major dicks. This damned show should have ended like 4 seasons ago Hell on Wheels would be a close second. I could only watch half of season 2 until I said fuck it and gave up due to COMPLETE BOREDOM.
    Last edited by Fitzgerald77; 2012-12-31 at 01:31 PM.
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3

10+ Year Old Account
    Best Picture: We Need To Talk About Kevin, directed by Lynne Ramsay
    Best Movie Performance: Daniel Day-Lewis in Lincoln, directed by Steven Spielberg
    Best Video Game: Guild Wars 2
    Best Album: Rhine Gold by Choir of Young Believers
    Best Song: Youth by Daughter

Best:
    Album: Hard one, either Lamb of God's Resolution, Stam1na's Nocebo or Awesomenauts OST
    Movie: Did only see one, and that was Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, which was surprisingly good for a documentary
    Game: Hard one, either Awesomenauts or Borderlands 2
    Book: Didn't read a single one

Worst:
    Album: In This Moment's Blood, was not as good as it was hyped to be
    Movie: As previously stated, only saw one movie
    Game: Blacklight: Retribution, a terrible game, you start out with only like 3 weapons and from them the knife is best. Even better, the game bugged out and didn't let me buy upgrades before my opinion of "utter garbage" was formed
    Book: Didn't read a single one

Deleted
    BEST

Music Album Of The Year : Book Burner by Pig Destroyer. Finally athe new PxDx album came along and it's a belter.

Movie Of The Year : Prometheus. Controversial maybe but I really liked it.

Video Game Of The Year : Halo 4. No questions asked. Loved it.

Book Of The Year : I think my favorite book I read this year that was actually published this year was The House of Silk.

WORST

Music Album Of The Year : I try not to listen to bad music if I can help it.

Movie Of The Year : Not so much bad but a huge letdown sadly I think needs to be The Hobbit. Just wish they hadn't added all the extra crap just to pad it out to 3 movies. Shame really because when they leave the story alone and just re-create what was written its really good.

Video Game Of The Year : Can't think of anything I've played that's been out right bad. Torchlight 2 I think might take it for me. It's a good game but it just doesn't hold my attention like Diablo 2 could and it was delayed for ages.

Book Of The Year : A Game of Thrones. Not published this year but it simply doesn't do it for me I'm afraid.

Best Album: No idea, I don't know when any of my favorite albums were released.
    Best Movie: Les Miserables
    Best Video Game: The Walking Dead
    Best Book: All the books I've read this year are older.

Worst Album: I like all of the albums that I own!
    Worst Movie: I didn't really see any bad movies this year. 2012 was a pretty good year for movies, I think. I'd have to say that my least favorite was probably Prometheus though. It was okay.
    Worst Video Game: Mass Effect 3.
    Worst Book: I like all of the books that I own too!

10+ Year Old Account
    BEST
    Music Album Of The Year : I generally find most albums by looking into the past... so I'll list one that I found this year: Drill - Noise Unit
    Movie Of The Year : Ted or Looper
    Video Game Of The Year : Dishonoured

WORST
    Music Album Of The Year : I browse individual songs from albums before I buy them, so N/A
    Movie Of The Year : Prometheus I guess
    Video Game Of The Year : The Witcher 2

10+ Year Old Account
    BEST
    Music Album Of The Year : Come of Age - The Vaccines
    Movie Of The Year : The Avengers
    Video Game Of The Year : Mists of Pandaria (if it counts)
    Book Of The Year : City of Dragons - Robin Hobb

WORST
    Music Album Of The Year : Now 83!
    Movie Of The Year : The Dark Knight Rises.
    Video Game Of The Year : Mario Party 9
    Book Of The Year : Hidden - P.C and Kirsten Cast

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

15+ Year Old Account
    Posting agian for TV show.

Tough choice for me, Love Girls, love Game of Thrones. But if I had to choose, Girls, it was a new season, wasn't even interested in it. But it was surprisingly my cup of tea. Game of Thrones Season 3 should top Girls Season 2 though, especially with all the shit that HOPEFULLY goes down this season. There will be joy, and there will be rage, because I'm afraid they will not be able to capture everything.

Worst TV Show, just to my taste, Big Bang Theory. Again, my opinion, I cannot find it funny, I cannot find it smart, I cannot find it new and original.

---------- Post added 2013-01-01 at 06:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dyra View Post
    Music Album Of The Year : Now 83!

Christ, I had to check that for myself, I remember buying those a long time again and it was only in it's like, Now 20s. but 83?! Shit...they should stop at 100...It's pointless, since every song on there is played on the raidio over and over, becomes a top song on youtube, youtube'd to mp3'd...etc etc. Surprised they're still making them tbh.