Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I've played WoW since the first stress test, and I actually find people who started after BC to be the most enjoyable to play with. The overwhelming majority of those who started during BC (and even the original release) are incredibly annoying and generally insufferable.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure some hate those that started after just so they can feel better about themselves, but others tend to dislike them for different reasons. I've got no issue against anybody that started in WoTLK, Cata, or MoP. Those that act like they know everything, but are 100% wrong, though, I dislike just as much, if not even more than others that also started in Vanilla/BC that act like it matters.

15+ Year Old Account
    You know what I miss? Quests you had to figure out on your own.

"Hey yeah we got a report from a scout that went missing in Alterac, could you go find it? We don't really know where the scout is, could be anywhere."

It's a little bit hard to imagine a WoW before quest helper or the Blizzard implementation of the addon, but those days really were fun, if a bit frustrating...

On topic, most people who have played since vanilla don't really have any more validation on any subject. The one thing I can really think of is how much more of a pain in the ass it was to get geared up and get your foot in the door on raiding, not to mention the amount of loot out of raids was far less than it is today. I've seen a lot of people who complain about MoP dailies and how they're grindier than anything in Vanilla or BC... and I just have to chuckle and immediately know that they didn't play during those expansions.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Thassarian View Post
    Without sounding too much of a douche, it largely boils down to "Wrath Babies" being too demanding, bringing with them an era of entitlement because of it. This has a knock on effect in Cataclysm where the content was remotely challenging and the, largely "Wrath Baby" vocal minority, cried for nerfs which made almost all of the content outside of HC mode trivial.

That isn't to say that everyone who started post-BC is a Wrath Baby, but it is generally those who started after the launch of Wrath who call for nerfs quickest for the most trivial of things, such as Heroics, Quests, Rep gains and such.
    You're seriously fooling yourself if you really think that players can really be categorized like that. Also: do you think that "wrath baby behaviour" is exclusive to wrath babies?

Quote Originally Posted by Outofmana View Post
    I'm not even gonna respond here, I don't talk to players that didn't start in vanilla.
    I started in Lost Vikings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

i started playing in BC, can't remember at what patch, since i was a total newbie back then who couldn't even read english.

but time played =/= skill, and someone who started in wrath may have a more valid point than someone who started in vanilla.

A person in real life is not smarter because they are a few years older aswell. I know more than a few people back from highschool who have less brain than a lab rat.

Deleted
    I dont see much of this bias as i surely dont have any since i started in classic.

I know some people who started in wotlk and were as good as me ( mebeing one of the top server dpsers ).

On the contrary i tend to see many players that claim to play since classic .. that suck quite much and their excuse ( when you make them notice ) is that they know the game perfectly since they played since *vanilla* ( first step to see if someone actually played it .. they call it wrongly ).

I mean cmon.. you cant seriously hope to convince people that you know better only because you started earlier. Classes changed drastically over these years.

But .. you know, nubs are everywhere :P.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Because people like to feel elitist about some really dumb shit.
    Pretty much.

And it's not even just that. If you believe half of the hyperbole that gets thrown around on this board, all of the people that played in Vanilla/BC were automatically badass hardcore mo-fo's, and epics just fucking fell at their feet. KT in Naxx-40? Illidan? Archimonde? KJ? Bunch of pussies their guild had on farm for months before Wrath came out and Blizzard started just mailing epics to all of the baddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Evi1Toad View Post
    I think its because they view vanilla as more hard core than MoP today. Back then, mounts werent acquired until 40, and thats if you were able to afford them. There were no flying mounts whatsoever. Then 10g was quite a bit. There was no dungeonfinder. You had to walk to the dungeon with other people. You had to discover flight paths. Having a 90 today is nothing like having a 60 then. Leveling was much more time sucking. Classes have changed so much for the most part. Epics were actually epic. Either extremely rare drops or difficult to get.

I played a bit in vanilla/bc and stopped until about mid cata. Best change has been dungeon finder for leveling, but it is also the worst. Now no one ever leaves stormwind/orgrimmar endgame. It was much more party friendly then, now if you need help on a quest the person who may have helped you is most likely phased.
    If anyone though vanilla was hardcore then they clearly never played Everquest.
    Leveling in anything you did Everquest could take from months to years to reach max level.

Wow has and always will be a casual MMORPG and has time has pass it got more casual.

On topic: To Answer the OP it is because they think there special and know better then other players.

"Not all Vanilla/TBC players are like that tho but a good amount is even some that started in WOTLK is it just depends the person really"

Edit: Lots of people also claim to have started at those times "Wanna be elitist or people with ego problems" as well.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2012-12-13 at 06:41 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by nachoo View Post
    i would post something but i stopped reading after i was you had joined mid Wotlk

OT its because raiding and the whole game itself was a lot different back then, and harder imo. To be a raider, and a hardcore badass one, you needed to farm t4 content before moving on to t5, then once you farm t5 content, you ready for the big t6. It was just a lot cooler back then, you saw people sitting in lots of different gear, not like it is today when everybody has the same looking tier just with different stats
    It was mainly way more time consuming. Not in really more difficult, if anything raids only have become harder then they were back in the day. Specially in the days of vanilla. As for TBC, difficulty went up a bit and personal skill became way more important (as opposed to vanilla, where it was all about the numbers. Just bring 40 people that aren't AFK with gear that is good enough and clearing MC was facerol tbh..) but not by a mile compared to how it is now. It's funny how many people claim TBC and Vanilla were harder, cause really... They weren't! Compare rotations from back in the day to how they're now.. Or bossfights for that matter...

I agree with you when you say it was cooler back then, but I wouldn't want to go back to that point in wow at all... For me it's like what Putin said about the Soviet Union
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Putin
    Whoever doesn't miss the Soviet Union has no heart, whoever wants it back has no brain.
    Same applies to what I think about classic wow and TBC.

Anyway, on topic.. The only people I don't listen to are those who can only cry about the game being to difficult, asking for nerfs, saying that bosses are shit without coming up with any good ideas themselves. Which to be fair, I noticed first during WotLK but that is most likely to the fact that at that point I started reading forums more often and I got a little bit more mature (just a little bit!).
    So, if you tell me that you've started in WotLK, thats fine by me! I rather have you say that than lie about your Vanilla experiences that you don't have! Just don't complain all the time :-)

10+ Year Old Account
    People always feel better when they have done something for a longer time. In their minds the longer you play = the better you are. Also, we that started in BC believe that we had it hard and that people who started later don't really "appreciate" WoW. I would just get over it and not care what other people think.

Quote Originally Posted by Byniri View Post
    First off I'm going to admit that I began in mid-Wrath (August of 2009). I know some people are automatically going to not listen to anything I say now, but you're just validating my point.

Why is there this bias by a decent amount of veteran players (specifically those who began in Classic/BC) against anyone who began in Wrath/Cata/MoP? I seriously don't understand it. Going on to any sort of forum and saying that you began playing after BC is pretty much an invitation to be harassed and screamed at by the other people there. I've had numerous issues different times with elitist pricks who act all high and mighty JUST because they've been playing since BC or Classic.

I really don't get it.
    There's a huge bias against any type of player. Hardcores. Noobs. Bads. Casuals. Raiders. Pvp'ers. People that started in Vanilla. People that started in BC, wrath, cata, mop. It isn't just against ppl that started after BC. People are passive/aggressive behind their little keyboards. And they lash out/hate on, people that they have preconceived ideas about. That's it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just have a bias against bad players. At times I also have little patience for inexperienced players so I do indeed have bias against them because I am not willing to take the time to teach them or tolerate them refusing to learn and thus wasting my time. So bad players and jackasses are the ones I am biased against essentially.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Deleted
    probs becoz in vanilla/tbc you had to work for your gear/progress and wotlk etc everything pretty much gets handed to you.

tho i don't mind, since i don't have time to raid +farm stuff for raids anymore :P (getting older sucks really)

Quote Originally Posted by Divine View Post
    probs becoz in vanilla/tbc you had to work for your gear/progress and wotlk etc everything pretty much get handed to you.

tho i don't mind since i dont have time to raid +farm stuff for raids :P (getting older sucks really)
    TBC had epic's in heroic's and gave you badges to get more epics this is not something that started in WOTLK.

Also as i stated early'er the work you had to do in vanilla/tbc dose not compare to other mmo's at that time like everquest.

you work for those things now as well you can't get heroic gear doing LFR and lots of mounts and gear is stuck behind grinding valor/dailys the grind is there but just a different way of doing it.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    TBC had epic's in heroic's and gave you badges to get more epics this is not something that started in WOTLK.
    i was talking about raiding, since you replaced crappy HC items with T4 or random epics from kara.

can't remember about badges since i didnt bother to do hc's(oh and you got em from Raid bosses, usually they just weren't a upgrade) after i got t4/t5/t6

and anyways u got much faster gear thru badges in wotlk/cata than in tbc

tho the gear was just means to do the job, the best feeling was when you downed boss which you had been hitting ur head against a wall for weeks and maybe proceeding to next raid tier now it's just queue LFR > oh lol kewl> hit 123> down boss>miss half of the boss mechanics> ??? > profit

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, the insult 'Wrath baby" kinda held some traction when wrath was still new. I started in wrath, and I had no fucking idea what was going on when I was 80, but that was FOUR YEARS AGO. I feel the need to drive that home. Four years is a long fucking time to be playing a game.

i was talking about raiding, since you replaced crappy HC items with T4 or random epics from kara.

can't remember about badges since i didnt bother to do hc's(oh and you got em from Raid bosses, usually they just weren't a upgrade) after i got t4/t5/t6

and anyways u got much faster gear thru badges in wotlk/cata than in tbc

tho the gear was just means to do the job, the best feeling was when you downed boss which you had been hitting ur head against a wall for weeks and maybe proceeding to next raid tier now it's just queue LFR > oh lol kewl> hit 123> down boss>miss half of the boss mechanics> ??? > profit
    I take it you're yet to raid T14.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

That feeling is still there for those who wish to achieve it.

LFR dose not change it. All it dose is let those who do not want to bash there head into a wall see the content/raid and for those who do want to bash there head into a wall in Normal/Heroic it helps them gear.

You can't out gear current raids and faceroll them with LFR gear you still need to learn the fights and do normal mode to be able to do heroic mode.

"To be clear I mean current raid/tier like the first raid of this tier not a raid after it then go back to the first one"

The difference in TBC and now is there is more choice on how to do things.

If wow right now was as it was in TBC it would have way less sub base if not dead.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2012-12-13 at 07:24 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xothic View Post

I take it you're yet to raid T14.
    and i take it you didnt raid t12456 and 6.5

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    If wow right now was as it was in TBC it would have way less sub base if not dead.
    i wouldnt mind, the difference is that in vanilla/tbc the realm community was much more tight/alive than it's now

now it's just brainless LFG queue and stuff which you rarely make any new friends than compared to knowing/asking ppl with the right profession patterns etc or going into a Dungeon/HC/raid.

that's just my oppinnion tho
    Last edited by mmoca5d0a9f797; 2012-12-13 at 07:32 AM.

Deleted
    Haven't you heard? if someone started something before you, it means they're better.