XP Mode and Printing/Vinyl Cutter Problems

Here's the situation...This is all for my work stuff and I just got a new computer, so I'm upgrading from a windows xp laptop to a win7 desktop. I have a vinyl cutter I do some work with and this is where all my problems are right now. It's an old Roland SX-12 and they quit updating the drivers for it since windows xp, so on win7 I can't install the driver and my computer can't figure out what printer it is.

I called Roland support and told them the situation they were just like...yea, you can't do that, sorry...so I'm ready to accept it's not possible but I still have to try lol

My idea was to download xp mode and virtual pc, and then run the program I use to print with and install the driver on xp mode. It installs the printer and everything, it's ready and it's not offline, but when I hit print it pops up in the queue for 1 or 2 seconds then disappears and nothing happens. I've tried every port I thought might make sense, as well as tried it with the printer released and shared.

Not sure how much this matters, but the printer also uses a db25 connection so I'm using a db25 to usb adapter.

Intel Pentium G870 3.1GHz Processor
    4GB of DDR3 memory
    500GB HDD
    Windows 7 Professional
    64-bit

The computer's at work so if anyone has any suggestions I can't make any attempts until tomorrow morning, and if there's any info you need I'll try and answer, but that might have to wait til tomorrow too.

15+ Year Old Account
    can you get a real 25-pin connector? like a PCI slot or soemthing? I've had terrible luck with USB->____ adapters because it wants to print to the port the device should be connected to, and not a usb device
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    can you get a real 25-pin connector? like a PCI slot or soemthing? I've had terrible luck with USB->____ adapters because it wants to print to the port the device should be connected to, and not a usb device
    It likely will not work, chances come down heavily with xp items. Old cap card wont even be seen on this pc works fine on my phenom II w/ xp on it.

Not sure about a real 25-pin connector or anything but I just had this idea...

The computer I've been doing all my vinyl cutting with is this old laptop with windows xp, and it's got a wireless card.

Do you think if I added the printer to the network with the laptop that I could print from my desktop by going through the laptop? I would still need driver on the desktop wouldn't I?
    Last edited by grandpab; 2012-12-13 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    Not sure about a real 25-pin connector or anything but I just had this idea...

The computer I've been doing all my vinyl cutting with is this old laptop with windows xp, and it's got a wireless card.

Do you think if I added the printer to the network with the laptop that I could print from my desktop by going through the laptop? I would still need driver on the desktop wouldn't I?
    This could circumvent your problems making a network printer, assuming its seen on the windows 7 machine.

I'll have to give it a shot at work tomorrow.

On my desktop would I have to try printing through the network on windows 7 or would I have to be in xp?

I don't mind the laptop being there just to go through the printer, I just want to be able to do everything from the 1 computer lol. Right now I'm just doing all my work on my desktop, saving it onto a thumb drive, and opening it on the laptop just to print it.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2012-12-13 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    I'll have to give it a shot at work tomorrow.

On my desktop would I have to try printing through the network on windows 7 or would I have to be in xp?

I don't mind the laptop being there just to go through the printer, I just want to be able to do everything from the 1 computer lol. Right now I'm just doing all my work on my desktop, saving it onto a thumb drive, and opening it on the laptop just to print it.
    I have zero printer drivers on my pc, I can use and access the printers in the home w/o problems.