Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Gils b-ball team wins 107-0 and winners are made out to be the villians

Has anyone seen this story how a high school basketball team won 107-0? So the game happens and the losers complain that the other team made the winners out to be the bad guys and so has the media. Its sad when you have to make everyone equal and everyone is a winner. To not score a single basket in a basketball game says more about the losing team than the winners. Where did competition go on our society? Is everything supposed to be fair in sports? I thought that ended when you are just learning how to play the gam. Imo the winners did the right thing showing the losers.that they arent skilled enough to even be on the court. Its sad when you make the people who are unskilled need to feel special because they.tried. Also can you even call this trying? Isnt there a point when people need to learn the harsh truth that they suck?

Sad i commend the winners for pummeling the other team because they can. Sports are about winning at this level not making kids fell good it high school sports for Christ sake.

You can't make the girls out to be villains, they were just playing. The coaches should have just instructed them to lighten up a bit.

I don't know, generally if a sports team is going to win by a large margin they stop scoring additional points. It's about sportsmanship, not really an issue of society at large. Very likely a coaching issue. But at the same time, the media shouldn't be dealing with issues of sportsmanship, they should be taking that stuff out through the outlet of sports.
    The losing team probably just complained because the winning team is getting coverage that should be going to better teams just because they shut out a horrendous team

A source would be great...

Also, getting the topic correct would be great. Since you failed to cite a source, I did some searching. The game was not 107-0, it was 107-2...
    linky
    Last edited by Angrybutcher; 2012-12-13 at 06:12 PM.

There is something to be said for at least having some compassion toward the other team. It's part of sportsmanship. Hell even NFL teams and their couches catch shit when they are caught running up the score in the 4th quarter when the game is already all but one.

That said, I do mourn the days when everyone was not treated like they were entitled to everything in life. Whether that be in winning or losing a sports game or any other aspect of life. Kids need to learn life isn't handed to them on a silver platter by someone who constantly smiles and congratulates you for "doing your best".

We pamper losers far to much in society these days. You lost, you suck, deal with it. Come back next time, and don't suck.

Doesn't matter by how much, you lost. Face the music and deal with your humiliating defeat. I've lost loads of times in my life, I never cried, called the others cheaters or got upset. I dealt with it, and even if they did cheat, I found a tactic around it and beat them the next them!

Kids these days grow up being told everyone is a winner. Well, sorry you're not. You're a loser, a pathetic waste of space loser until you prove otherwise.

Actually, another point about sports
    If you get a shutout like this against a really terrible team, your ranking relative to other teams could go up more than your team deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    You can't make the girls out to be villains, they were just playing. The coaches should have just instructed them to lighten up a bit.
    Lighten up really? This isnt instructional league its competative. If you have the ability you blow the other team out. How is a competitive sports team who cant compete deserving of any tolerance from the other team. If ypu dont belong out there these girls need to learn this. Its a part of life some people arent meant to do things. These losers obviously dont deserve to be in competative basketball. Playing for fun is one thing but high school sports is about winning. Go plauly a rec league if you want to play for fun.

it was 107-2. and nah the girls aren't villains, people just say it is unsportsmanlike but it is high school basketball not little kids. people need to get over themselves

10+ Year Old Account
    This.

There is a reason being a "good sport" is considered a compliment. In order to be a good sport, you have to be gracious either losing OR winning. I just finished reading the article and it doesn't say whether the winning couch put in his 2-3 string or not. If he didn't, and left his starters in, he should be fired just for being a jackass.

If he had his "scrubs" in, then... I don't know. They could have just ran out the shot clock over and over once it became clear there was no possible way the opponents could win. But on the flip side, can't blame the so called scrubs for enjoying their playing time.

Maybe there should be something like the 10 run rule in basketball. /shrug
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

I was talking to my daughter's soccer coach last year about something similar. My daughter was five and playing in an under 8 (year old) league and they were absolutely dominating a team that had players that were older and bigger. The league's rule is that if you are up by more than 5 goals, you CAN NOT score another goal until they do. The problem that both of us were seeing is that we were having to tell the players to stop playing so the other team could catch up. As a parent, I don't want to be teaching my child that they can not excel at something because other people are slower.

On the flip side, by coddling those that are slower and not trying to push them to be better, all we are doing is allowing a generation to grow up to be complacent and not have any sort of ambition.

Before anyone goes ape shit and starts flaming me for that, just think about the things that you excel in and ask your self if you would still want to excel at it if you were made to be the villain because other people were not as good as you.

Well, from the article I linked a bit ago, this wasn't all that unexpected. The losing team is on a 25 game losing streak, 0-5 in this season, and only averaging 17 points per game. Their coach is also the same one who has lost two extreme blowouts in previous coaching experiences. The school itself is struggling after switching to being Private, rather than Public.

Quote Originally Posted by wfredlund View Post
    I was talking to my daughter's soccer coach last year about something similar. My daughter was five and playing in an under 8 (year old) league and they were absolutely dominating a team that had players that were older and bigger. The league's rule is that if you are up by more than 5 goals, you CAN NOT score another goal until they do. The problem that both of us were seeing is that we were having to tell the players to stop playing so the other team could catch up. As a parent, I don't want to be teaching my child that they can not excel at something because other people are slower.

On the flip side, by coddling those that are slower and not trying to push them to be better, all we are doing is allowing a generation to grow up to be complacent and not have any sort of ambition.

Before anyone goes ape shit and starts flaming me for that, just think about the things that you excel in and ask your self if you would still want to excel at it if you were made to be the villain because other people were not as good as you.
    I think you sum it up rather nicely. In today's societies effort to cater to the needs and feelings of those who do not excel they at the same time seem to squash the ability for others to excel in that same area. People should be told when they fail at something (don't be a jackass about it obviously) and forced to either work to get better or find something else that they may be good/better at. They shouldn't be allowed to skirt around on the good graces of others and potentially drag down more capable individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brouhaha View Post
    it was 107-2. and nah the girls aren't villains, people just say it is unsportsmanlike but it is high school basketball not little kids. people need to get over themselves
    Sorry your right i typed the 0 thinking of the 100-0 game a couple of years ago. When did putting 100% effort in all the time become a bad thing? Shouldnt we always try our best? When did making the loser feel bad outside of instructional become such a bad thing? Its life things arent fair NOT EVERYONE GETS A TROPHY IN LIFE. Stop teaching kids life is about everything being fair.

Quote Originally Posted by ovm33 View Post
    This.

There is a reason being a "good sport" is considered a compliment. In order to be a good sport, you have to be gracious either losing OR winning. I just finished reading the article and it doesn't say whether the winning couch put in his 2-3 string or not. If he didn't, and left his starters in, he should be fired just for being a jackass.

If he had his "scrubs" in, then... I don't know. They could have just ran out the shot clock over and over once it became clear there was no possible way the opponents could win. But on the flip side, can't blame the so called scrubs for enjoying their playing time.

Maybe there should be something like the 10 run rule in basketball. /shrug
    There's no shot clock in that league. Just pass it around for awhile before missing a shot to give them the ball. Or work on your three-point accuracy...

This happens all the time in sports, just like Olympic basketball where the US teams regularly bench their good players halfway through so they don't beat the other teams too hard.

Supposedly it's good sportsmanship, I think it's bullshit. If someone went light on me because I was going to lose, I'd be incredibly pissed. I want your best, not your sympathy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lassira View Post
    This happens all the time in sports, just like Olympic basketball where the US teams regularly bench their good players halfway through so they don't beat the other teams too hard.

Supposedly it's good sportsmanship, I think it's bullshit. If someone went light on me because I was going to lose, I'd be incredibly pissed. I want your best, not your sympathy.
    In the Tour De France it's customary that if a contender crashes, the peloton slows and lets him catch up.

There is honor in being a good sport. Dusting a non-competitive team means nothing, and it is in fact why I don't give two shits about USA basketball teams in the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro1990 View Post
    I think you sum it up rather nicely. In today's societies effort to cater to the needs and feelings of those who do not excel they at the same time seem to squash the ability for others to excel in that same area. People should be told when they fail at something (don't be a jackass about it obviously) and forced to either work to get better or find something else that they may be good/better at. They shouldn't be allowed to skirt around on the good graces of others and potentially drag down more capable individuals.
    Agreed. Exceling at something isnt a bad thing and should be celebrated not placated to make the loser feel good. Thats not what life is. I mean you dont need to get excited for every point but just play, keep ypur head down and play your game. I have great appreciation for the winners showing the losing coach she she be fired for not teaching these kids anything.

There is honor in being a good sport.
    No there isn't, losers are coddled too much. You failed, stand back up and try again without getting picked up this time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like it or not, there's a code of ethics when it comes to team sports, in high school, and even in the pros.

Was it unsportsman-like to run the score up that high. Yes, that should be obvious to anyone who has played a competitive level team sport. That doesn't necessarily make it wrong, it just makes it unsportsman-like. Calling the girls "villains" is just being over dramatic.

There's a lot of factors though, such as whether or not the coach left his starting five in the whole time, that need to be considered.

---------- Post added 2012-12-13 at 01:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lassira View Post
    No there isn't, losers are coddled too much. You failed, stand back up and try again without getting picked up this time.
    No one here is talking about coddling the losing team. I don't think anyone would suggest that to be a good idea.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.