[Arcane] Mage Video Guide

youtube.com/watch?v=GI35Crd9vzE&hd=1
    I found no video guides describing how to play arcane with the scorch weaving rotation. At the time I started playing with this method there was no mention of it on Noxxic or Icy Veins, however they have been recently updated to mention it.
    With this rotation you never drop your 6 stack Arcane Charge. I'm not gonna go into too much detail, you can watch the video for the full description. I recommend Mages try using this for single target fights.
    Sorry I cant make the link clickable, new account.
    Last edited by tomblits; 2012-12-14 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tomblits View Post
    youtube.com/watch?v=GI35Crd9vzE&hd=1
    I found no video guides describing how to play arcane with the scorch weaving rotation. At the time I started playing with this method there was no mention of it on Noxxic or Icy Veins, however they have been recently updated to mention it.
    With this rotation you never drop your 6 stack Arcane Charge. I'm not gonna go into too much detail, you can watch the video for the full description. I recommend Mages try using this for single target fights.
    Sorry I cant make the link clickable, new account.
    Very helpful. Interesting that he recommends a mastery build over haste. I thought this entire scorch weave was built around haste > mastery.

Also not sure what the normal ap rotation would be. Assume it's just on cd and due the normal rotation.

Otherwise very helpful for people new to arcane!

Believe you want to go haste until you hit like ilvl 490. Guys from this weeks Convert to Raid podcast had a great guide at the end of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo300 View Post
    Believe you want to go haste until you hit like ilvl 490. Guys from this weeks Convert to Raid podcast had a great guide at the end of the show.
    Ah. Thank you. I hit 495 last night so mastery it will be I guess lol. Assume Mage armor as well.

If you drop your stacks at all the Haste reforge begins to pull ahead, and the goal is to never drop stacks so go all in Mastery.

My main is a mage. Hit cap>Min haste 3056> Mastery. Thats how the priority goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Holyshnikies View Post
    My main is a mage. Hit cap>Min haste 3056> Mastery. Thats how the priority goes.
    Which armor? What would be the goblin equivalent? (Not sure the haste value to % rate)

Also the podcast seems to recommend haste as its more forgiving. Might be slightly lower dps but the forgiveness will make up for it.

Mage armor - For the 3000 mastery ( more dps and the reduced incoming damage from magical effects = healer friendly)
    Last edited by Holyshnikies; 2012-12-14 at 04:08 AM. Reason: added

10+ Year Old Account
    Mastery and Haste builds are within a few % of each other. There's essentially no difference, single target. Mastery pulls ahead in cleaving and AoE.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Mastery and Haste builds are within a few % of each other. There's essentially no difference, single target. Mastery pulls ahead in cleaving and AoE.
    So all haste means all in. Gems, reforge and frost armor then. Not a soft cap at 3056?

And I do have to disagree with his rotation. I tried his with scorch. I was down about 7-10k single target. I use arcane barrage when I'm at 6 stacks with no missiles left.

I do use scorch when I have to move however...

And I do have to disagree with his rotation. I tried his with scorch. I was down about 7-10k single target. I use arcane barrage when I'm at 6 stacks with no missiles left.

Isn't that the normal rotation and not the scorch weave then

Quote Originally Posted by Arghh151 View Post
    Isn't that the normal rotation and not the scorch weave then
    Correct. But in his video, he says never use barrage... he uses scorch instead and keeps stacks at 6 all the time.

Correct. But in his video, he says never use barrage... he uses scorch instead and keeps stacks at 6 all the time.
    Which is the whole point of the video I was thinking. Regardless I have to play with all this over the weekend and see what works best for me.

Its a good guide, but good lord, the guy has the same effect as my History teacher, i was half asleep by mid video :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I just went from Haste - > Mastery, and I already do miss the haste. With the mana regen and the speed of casting, the spec felt extremely fluid and wonderful. Mastery seems slow and clunky, but haven't tried it out too much (had to suspend the raid tonight till Saturday). Another perk I liked with Haste is it generally made Arcane slightly more movement capable. RoP could be dropped quicker and you wouldn't have to worry as much about losing those stacks if you could get a quick cast in. Time will tell.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

Great guide.

One question: how do you go about the cooldowns macro? Do you have to place '/cast alter time' at the very end of the macro?
    Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    The unfortunate fact of the matter is that many, many people in wow are very passionate in their obsession with acting like a complete retard.

Quote Originally Posted by LocNess View Post
    I just went from Haste - > Mastery, and I already do miss the haste. With the mana regen and the speed of casting, the spec felt extremely fluid and wonderful. Mastery seems slow and clunky, but haven't tried it out too much (had to suspend the raid tonight till Saturday). Another perk I liked with Haste is it generally made Arcane slightly more movement capable. RoP could be dropped quicker and you wouldn't have to worry as much about losing those stacks if you could get a quick cast in. Time will tell.
    We have a mage in our guild that uses the Haste build, and the same scorch-weave rotation that we use, his DPS numbers a very close behind us but in general are lower.

Quote Originally Posted by LaplaceNoMa View Post
    Great guide.

One question: how do you go about the cooldowns macro? Do you have to place '/cast alter time' at the very end of the macro?
    My macro for AP is in a pastebin under the video. but here's another link to it pastebin.com/SP6A6yrD

Thats correct, only use ABarr when your AT is about to expire. If you use scorch to keep up your mana and never drop your stack you will always be doing max damage with Arcane Blast and Arcane Missiles. This is much more viable since in the 5.1 patch when they reduced the base mana cost of Arcane Blast. I wouldn't recommend test this on a dummy, the buffs from a raid are enough to alter your mana regeneration and make the rotation much more viable.

Scorch weaving does take a little more skill in my opinion, ESPECIALLY with the mastery build. I did extensive research testing both the dropping stacks with barrage and using scorch. Weaving seemed to always come ahead but not by huge numbers. Dropping 7-10k going from one to the other seems more of a mechanic issue than anything.