Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    You both seem to forget that THAT'S THE FUCKING POINT. Pokemon doesn't NEED a retarded story to be good, and looking at sales alone, that's pretty fucking apparent (both the first gens selling ridiculously better than 3-5). Not just sales, but amongst fans, most who play Pokemon will agree unless they haven't played the old games, in which case they shouldn't be allowed to give an opinion if they won't even play the games.

You can't honestly tell me the storyline of Gen 5 is good when it's simply the controversy behind pokemon. How fucking bland and unoriginal can you get? "HEY LET'S MAKE A REAL LIFE ISSUE THE STORY OF A VIDEO GAME!" Wow. Really? Just fucking really?
    Are you saying the original game's story is good because it didn't exist? It's a lot more bland to have nothing going on and have a game about BEIN DA BESST EVUR cause who the fuck cares about flow and a real plot? That really is the problem with games nowadays. There's too much character interaction and stuff going on when the protagonist should just focus on being the very best.

Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    Are you saying the original game's story is good because it didn't exist? It's a lot more bland to have nothing going on and have a game about BEIN DA BESST EVUR cause who the fuck cares about flow and a real plot? That really is the problem with games nowadays. There's too much character interaction and stuff going on when the protagonist should just focus on being the very best.
    Sarcasm aside, I'd highly prefer no plot to a retarded one.

Case in point: Go look at Paper Mario: Sticker Star (or rather don't, because it's a horrible game littered with flaws). I'll save you the trouble and just tell you it involves a "sticker comet" crashing and "royal stickers" getting lost. Yeah, that really makes you feel involved or even caring about the story.

Do you honestly think the story of Gen 5 helps the game in any way? It really, really, doesn't.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Sarcasm aside, I'd highly prefer no plot to a retarded one.

Case in point: Go look at Paper Mario: Sticker Star (or rather don't, because it's a horrible game littered with flaws). I'll save you the trouble and just tell you it involves a "sticker comet" crashing and "royal stickers" getting lost. Yeah, that really makes you feel involved or even caring about the story.

Do you honestly think the story of Gen 5 helps the game in any way? It really, really, doesn't.
    So look at what no plot did to Sticker Star. It's the bastard child of paper mario and it's not just because the sticker system was bad. R/B had more of a story than it. And yes, Team Rocket is part of a story. If you're going to argue otherwise, then there's no point in doing it when you won't take off your rosy red nostalgia glasses.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    So look at what no plot did to Sticker Star. It's the bastard child of paper mario and it's not just because the sticker system was bad. R/B had more of a story than it. And yes, Team Rocket is part of a story. If you're going to argue otherwise, then there's no point in doing it when you won't take off your rosy red nostalgia glasses.
    Wait what? Did you even read what he said? He compared a game with No Plot to a game with a RETARDED plot. And then you go and say Sticker star has no plot when he was referring to pokemon having no plot. I'm so confused. Quips about nostalgia are utterly worthless when you didn't even take the time to figure out the argument presented to you.
    Naftc, "Hunters are the cheapest class in game and when played right are more deadly than a train plowing through a field of bunnies covered in napalm"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    so who still thinks that handhelds are dying and nintendo should become software only O-O
    Everyone who knows that japan is only a very small part of the videogame branch.
    Sales in japan almost don't matter. Xbox 360 did shit in Japan, even worse than ps3. Yet it outsold the ps3 massively worldwide.

I have to agree with Dragon on this. The plots in Pokemon have gotten too over the top. I don't think there should be no plot at all, but I think it should be in the background and deal less with saving the world. I just want to be a Pokemon master, not a hero.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Handheld consoles is THE way to play in Japan. I'd be surprised if the 3DS didn't outsell PS3.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

FFIV was unplayable
    Wut...?

That being said, opinions are opinions. It's kind of stupid to argue this stuff like you're arguing with facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maveaux View Post
    Everyone who knows that japan is only a very small part of the videogame branch.
    Sales in japan almost don't matter. Xbox 360 did shit in Japan, even worse than ps3. Yet it outsold the ps3 massively worldwide.
    I wouldn't exactly say "very small" but, yeah, its a "global" market and its global sales that matter. If the investors only cared about sales in Japan, then start the ticker tape parade. However, since they don't...
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    As usual with nintendo people buy their consoles then find their are no good games on them. The only thing ive played on my DS in the last few years in pokemon, i bought about 3 or 4 games for the wii. Will never buy a nintendo console again.

The reason this is true is the same reason the PSP also does so well in Japan. The train/bus systems are used A LOT by students, employees, etc. So they're on the go a lot. Therefore, handheld "consoles" on the easiest way to game and pass time on their commutes.

Do you know how many good games there are for the PSP/DS that aren't released in America?

---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 08:59 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Maveaux View Post
    Your wrongness is astounding.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Overall, the Wii would outsell its competitors worldwide. However, Wii sales considerably fell in 2012. To this day, the PS3 and xbox 360 have been catching up. Nevertheless, the Wii has still outsold its rivals by about 30 million units.

Wii – 97.18 million as of 30 September 2012[8]
    PlayStation 3 – 70.2 million as of 30 September 2012[53][54]
    Xbox 360 – 70.0 million as of 30 September 2012[55]

Japan sales figures

Wii – 11,534,590 as of 1 April 2011[56]
    PlayStation 3 – 6,341,950 as of 1 April 2011[56]
    Xbox 360 – 1,448,665 as of 1 April 2011[56]
    The PS3 outsold the 360 everywhere except the US.
    Last edited by Shoridayo; 2012-12-14 at 03:05 PM.
    There are good people in every corner of the planet. Unfortunately, the Earth is round.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    After how awful Sticker Star was, which was my primary reason for buying the damn thing, I have lost just about all hopes for it, honestly

FFIV was unplayable; NSMB wasn't all that great and I'd love to know why people revere the NSMB series; The LoZ games on DS? Lol, no; Pokemon Gens 4 and 5? Also no.

I'll definitely admit there's some gems there, and a lot of games on your list I haven't even heard of and definitely plan to check out. I'm also surprised you didn't include Rhythm Heaven on that list. However, when calling into account how good a library is, I wouldn't by any means include remakes as they aren't officially part of the library.

Also for "the best library" of gaming, that's an AWFULLY SMALL LIST, especially after excluding the underlined ones (underlined = remakes/not that great)
    For those listed items you underlined and choose to exclude, that is your own personal opinion. The general public opinion, however, would very much disagree with you on the matter, which is why they are added to lists of most well received DS games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hiragana View Post
    As usual with nintendo people buy their consoles then find their are no good games on them. The only thing ive played on my DS in the last few years in pokemon, i bought about 3 or 4 games for the wii. Will never buy a nintendo console again.
    Meanwhile, I have over 30 games for my 3DS. I have even beaten most of them. There are actually so many awesome titles out for the system in the last few months that I have no prayer of being able to get to them all.

---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 03:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    so who still thinks that handhelds are dying and nintendo should become software only O-O
    People who have been saying it for the last 15 years, shaking their fists in anger that their predictions about Nintendos death have not only not come true, but are generally labelled as trolls.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

10+ Year Old Account
    the vita is a piece of crap and japan has always been more nintendo than sony so are you really suprised about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Achaman View Post
    the vita is a piece of crap and japan has always been more nintendo than sony so are you really suprised about that?
    The Vita actually isn't bad, and will probably eventually get some more sales. The reason it's doing so bad right now is because it doesn't really have any games for it.

Once it gets some big titles, the sales will go up.

Not more than Nintendo, obviously, but it'll go up.
    There are good people in every corner of the planet. Unfortunately, the Earth is round.

PS3 is now outselling the Xbox 360 everywhere because it's still one of the better Blu-Ray player options out there, especially for kids. Despite the fact it's only now outselling the Xbox 360, the loss of profit has been catastrophic for Sony. They literally have to sell it at a $150~ loss, because it wouldn't sell at all otherwise.

Everyone I've talked to who has one loves it. I've chatted with a bunch of gaming journalists as well who think it's a great handheld system too. The biggest thing is the lack of good games. The system has amazing potential for some spectacular games, it's just held back by the fact that nobody has purchased it and Sony refused to price-drop it to generate more sales, which will generate more interest for developers to make games for it. The obscenely expensive proprietary storage system doesn't help either -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    PS3 is now outselling the Xbox 360 everywhere because it's still one of the better Blu-Ray player options out there, especially for kids. Despite the fact it's only now outselling the Xbox 360, the loss of profit has been catastrophic for Sony. They literally have to sell it at a $150~ loss, because it wouldn't sell at all otherwise.
    Last I remember checking, NPD data (they track retail sales and release monthly reports of hardware/software sales) was showing that Xbox was continuing to outsell PS3 in the West. I think it outsold PS3 during Black Friday too if I'm remembering both companies sales announcements correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by hiragana View Post
    The DS has one of the best game libraries ever, in my opinion. If you only played Pokemon, you're missing out on a lot. The Wii's is smaller, but most of its first party games are arguably very good.

Okay guys, there needs to be an understanding here from an objective point of view.

One of the reasons that the DS/3DS is popular in japan, and also here in the US with those who like them (its not only kids guys... there is a reason they still make money selling RPGs on the 3ds)

Japan has, from my understanding a more on the move lifestyle, lots of times in trains and such, and they have smaller housing accommodations (makes console gaming harder)

Elsewhere the outlook on the DS/3DS is the amount of games/amount of RPGs.

Why? Why would one choose the 3DS/DS for rpgs vs the ps3/xbox 360.

The answer. HD gaming is killing the RPG, atm it is too expensive to make a nearly 100 hour game, leading the way in graphics, and pay voice actors in the such. FF XIII tried, lol Hall ways, linear as hell.

There are exceptions, games like Tales of, are still respected and made, but they aren't graphical block busters.

Btw, im referring to JRPG vs WRPG (I personally do not handle WRPGs well, put me in a game like say skyrim and I go wut?)

JRPGs are a lil different, more linear, vs open world, but More story heavy.

These costs just can't be undertook on the PS3/Xbox 360, for more cost in making a 60-70 main story + side quests, they could have made a game like say call of duty 10 times, and made wayyy more cash.

So they go to the 3ds/ds/psp (not including vita since they aren't doing well with rpgs, and they are still RPG gaming) systems like these have the nostalgia pull (all the nintendo remakes/first party games) so they have a lot of the JRPG base in one place. Then they can make the non HD/Cell Shaded however you like, for a much lower production cost and continue to make money.

This is why, I personally go to the 3DS/DS for JRPGs because its got a TON of them, I still find new RPG's I had never heard of for the DS. It has a MASSIVE library, particularly RPGs, if you are having a problem finding games, keep looking because they are everywhere.

This isn't an arguement about DS vs ps1 or DS vs N64 I don't even know how this thread got there. The current status of gaming systems has brought us to the point where JRPGs are too expensive to make on consoles, and they go handhelds (which will sell better in Japan regardless due to the on the go style) This is DS/3DS VERSUS the CURRENT GENERATION. Which has.... Tales of Vesperia, Xenoblade Chronicles, Last Story, Tales of Graces F, Blue Dragon, and Lost Odyssey as the titles I can think of.

Of which, 2 are Wii, 3 are drawn/cell shaded, and 1 is an actually graphically heavy game. See where the problem lies with games of this variety? Oh the Abomination that is FF XIII.... Beatiful HallWays... SquareEnix... for those who haven't played its an RPG without towns and you spend the entire game walking down hallways, or linear paths.

If I were to type a 3DS/DS RPG list.... Id be here all day. And still get it wrong.

My Explanation.
    Last edited by Dupree; 2012-12-14 at 08:40 PM.

The vita is a solid piece of hardware, considerably better than the 3ds.

Sony failed to support it and made just terrible design choices to protect their own skin.

Too pricey, memory card required (sold separately :3) battery isn't removable. Little to no good games. The only games really worth a damn are ports.