Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Political correctness has destroyed the Swedish culture

Okay, the title is a bit over the top but still.

ONE OF SWEDEN'S MOST PRECIOUS TRADITIONS HAS BEEN CENSORED

Sweden's biggest christmas tradition is to always watch "Donald Duck and his friends wishes Merry Christmas" (or as the original American broadcast is called, "From All of Us to All of You" 15:00 on Christmas Eve, and then airing for one hour straight. The program has always been there since 1960. Now the channel responsible for this lovely tradition has decided to censor a part of the program, that is, Santa's Workshop cartoon. In the cartoon, there is a scene where Santa puts stamps on the butts of two dolls to mark them as ready for shipping (it sounds way more wrong than it actually is). One doll is a blondine, the other is a stereotypical black person (note this is a 30s cartoon). These two dolls are now going to get censored. Also, at the end of the cartoon there is a toy parade where one of the toys looks like a stereotypical Jew.

Now, for those that aren't huge followers of Swedish traditions, this might seem irrelevant, in fact, it's good to censor it. But the fact is that the program has been airing without interruption or any modifications for the last 52 years. Now they decide to change it because it's not politically correct. Censoring the program is like censoring Jesus on Christmas elsewhere, that's how bad it is.

Deleted
    Then complain?

Write them a letter or an email about your opinion, telling us about it will achieve jack all.

10+ Year Old Account
    That does sound ridiculous. As a gay Jewish man, I am affected by stereotypes like that, but this isn't something that I'd find offensive. It's from another era, and it's important to portray that era as it was, not as we'd like to whitewash it as.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Then complain?

Write them a letter or an email about your opinion, telling us about it will achieve jack all.
    I had to spread the word to my fellow Nordics here.

Yea DISNEY. an AMERICAN country, that supplies an AMERICAN product decided to do it. Do you really think they give a shit about Swedish traditions? Do you realise how small our market is?

Or are you one of those classic SD followers who didn't actually read what was going on and is now freaking out?

Deleted
    Yeah they broadcast it in Finland too. I don't think it's censored here though.

Also, censoring old programs should never be done. Either you show them as they are, or you don't show them at all.

Deleted
    Don't worry, rest of Europe will follow.

Deleted
    Sigh, don't be in such a haste to post these kind of things.
    I saw it aswell and got angry, but then i read the article.
    Disney themselves sent us a new tape and asked the network company to use the tape instead.
    Apparently, Disney wanted to "fit into the 2000's and not be stuck in the 1900's" or something.

Source: (it's in swedish) http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesblade...cle15933831.ab
    (and yes, i know that Aftonbladet isn't the most reliable source, but google around and you will find the same thing.)

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think I've ever seen that cartoon.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Can we actually change the OP to be somewhat reflective of reality, cause as it stands now it doesn't... at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am kind of getting sick of the uber Ultra Anti PC, nonsense, meaning people that seem to have lose the spirit of what PC was all about to begin with, and so as a way of going against it they become as vile opinionates, or obnoxious as possible to simply go of their way to be insulting, seems to be the in thing to do now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Keske View Post
    Yea DISNEY. an AMERICAN country, that supplies an AMERICAN product decided to do it. Do you really think they give a shit about Swedish traditions? Do you realise how small our market is?
    So why do they cut it out in the first place, if we're so insignificant? I can't imagine that there have been that many complaints about the cartoon for them to bother with it.
    Or are you one of those classic SD followers who didn't actually read what was going on and is now freaking out?
    Just because I care about tradition it doesn't mean I vote SD. I think it's silly to alter it after 52 years of no modifications. I'd be more okay with it if Disney had modified it here and there sometimes to fix it, but I can't imagine that complaints are streaming into Disney's office suddenly in the tween years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can anyone link the difference between the old and new images?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    I am kind of getting sick of the uber Ultra Anti PC, nonsense, meaning people that seem to have lose the spirit of what PC was all about to begin with, and so as a way of going against it they become as vile opinionates, or obnoxious as possible to simply go of their way to be insulting, seems to be the in thing to do now.
    Hey man, I'd be as pissed if they had changed something that had nothing to do with PC, because I don't think it's okay to alter old content like that for so long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Yeah they broadcast it in Finland too. I don't think it's censored here though.

Also, censoring old programs should never be done. Either you show them as they are, or you don't show them at all.
    This guy gets the point I'm trying to make.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Are none, but here's the old version at least.

3:34 for black doll, 5:31 for the Jew stereotype.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    So why do they cut it out in the first place, if we're so insignificant? I can't imagine that there have been that many complaints about the cartoon for them to bother with it.

Just because I care about tradition it doesn't mean I vote SD. I think it's silly to alter it after 52 years of no modifications. I'd be more okay with it if Disney had modified it here and there sometimes to fix it, but I can't imagine that complaints are streaming into Disney's office suddenly in the tween years.
    They sell it to 40 different countries every single year, all of them got this cut. They got a new cut sent to them with a note saying that the Disney corporation has cut things that wasn't in line with their guidelines as company. There is no reason for anyone to disobey because if they did, Disney would just stop selling them the license.

---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 04:38 PM ----------

Hey man, I'd be as pissed if they had changed something that had nothing to do with PC, because I don't think it's okay to alter old content like that for so long.

He is also wrong.

---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 04:39 PM ----------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1ah1XeO23c that's the scene being cut.

That cartoon sounds badass.

10+ Year Old Account

Are none, but here's the old version at least.

3:34 for black doll, 5:31 for the Jew stereotype.
    Yeah, I'm sorry, but I didn't see anything there that was racist and worthy of cutting. The "black" doll doesn't seem any more of a racist black stereotype to me than Mickey Mouse, to be honest.

Deleted
    They sell it to 40 different countries every single year, all of them got this cut. They got a new cut sent to them with a note saying that the Disney corporation has cut things that wasn't in line with their guidelines as company. There is no reason for anyone to disobey because if they did, Disney would just stop selling them the license.
    I can't see why they would, why would they want to risk losing 4 million viewers just because they prefer the older version?

I mean, heck, I don't even see why they have to improve the quality of the cartoons. It's like all these Disney Classics HD versions, what's the point?

Yeah, I'm sorry, but I didn't see anything there that was racist and worthy of cutting.
    Neither does most people, but it's their product they can do what they want with it. You can't censor yourself.

---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 04:44 PM ----------

I can't see why they would, why would they want to risk losing 4 million viewers just because they prefer the older version?

Because they don't care if it's 1 million or 4 million, they take the same fee for the license anyways. Or are you still thinking this is some kind of conspiracy?

Or do you just not know anything about Disney?

Deleted
    Neither does most people, but it's their product they can do what they want with it. You can't censor yourself.
    Haha, good one.