Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

After this review, what you think of RIFT v2.0 Storm Legion ?

Non-Rifters. A lot of people asked - where are the Rift reviews?

AS anyone can see from my channel, I do this as a labour of love, not for money.

(unless you consider my cat a celebrity)

For anyone who played Rift v1.0 to v1.11 - Have you seen what the game now has to offer?

For anyone who is a PvE player that has played Rift v2, and decided not to sub, may I ask "Why?"

As a great fan of the game, instead of leveling, I took a few days to make a second review of RIFT v2 Storm Legion and would really like your opinion on it. Any criticisms and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I tried to capture as many of the new features as I could, but still had to add in annotations in some places. From my first review, I also found out that I pronounce my "S" with far too much emphasis :P and also needed a new microphone. Not to mention, cursed my ZA internet for taking so damn long to upload that I had to downgrade the video quality a bit.

PC SPECS:
    I recorded the game at 1920x1080p with everything on max (used bandicam)
    I run a stock-standard Intel mainboard, i5 2400 at 3.1GHz
    Gigabyte 660ti Video Card 2Gb SOC, 16Gb system RAM.
    No overclocking of any kind is used.

Oh, yeah - I have no affiliation with Trion, Bandicam, etc.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2012-12-14 at 06:46 PM.

Deleted
    I played the trial yesterday with a friend, it made me want to put a bullet in my head.
    Everyone has their own opinions however.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by forsman View Post
    I played the trial yesterday with a friend, it made me want to put a bullet in my head.
    Damn... you made an account just to say that. Wow.
    Can you say "why" you didn't like it?
    Last edited by theWocky; 2012-12-14 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    Damn... you made an account just to say that. Wow.
    Can you say "why" you didn't like it?
    The leveling could have been made easier. Other than that i found pvp to be fun but it forced to make an alt (first mmo other than wow that i create an alt in) just so that i can heal in pvp since i felt that winning teams are determined by how good their healers are.

Deleted
    Watched this last night, nice work wocky : )

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nykolas View Post
    Watched this last night, nice work wocky : )
    Thanks so much! Appreciate it. Now, I need to get off my butt and get hit-capped on my rogue! :P
    My cleric is distracting me, however.

---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 09:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mandus View Post
    The leveling could have been made easier. Other than that i found pvp to be fun but it forced to make an alt (first mmo other than wow that i create an alt in) just so that i can heal in pvp since i felt that winning teams are determined by how good their healers are.
    Yes, the PvP game is very dependent on, like a PvE raid, having enough good healers.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would say the leveling is brutal. But I like the game and I still sub, but it would be nice of they would increase xp from random dungeons, and also increase the cap of weekly dungeons.
    Case: Thermaltake A60
    MB: ASRock Z68 Ext3 Gen3
    CPU: i5 2500k, Windows 8.1 64 Bit
    GPU: HIS 6870 1gb
    PSU: Corsair GS 600
    SSD: Crucial M4 128g

Quote Originally Posted by Angel25 View Post
    I would say the leveling is brutal. But I like the game and I still sub, but it would be nice of they would increase xp from random dungeons, and also increase the cap of weekly dungeons.
    I agree. The leveling in this expansion is pretty brutal, but I still really enjoy it. The carnage quests are something very unique, and I enjoy them since they're a different alternative to having tons of quest givers assigning quests to "Kill 12 of <insert creature here>!". It makes quest givers assign good storyline based quests instead of quests to kill creatures all day.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticMagicks View Post
    I agree. The leveling in this expansion is pretty brutal, but I still really enjoy it. The carnage quests are something very unique, and I enjoy them since they're a different alternative to having tons of quest givers assigning quests to "Kill 12 of <insert creature here>!". It makes quest givers assign good storyline based quests instead of quests to kill creatures all day.
    That's kinda my thought on it so far, good expansion to be sure, but the leveling *sigh*

Really good video sir! I'm playing this weekend since its free but also as Azuri pointed out in another thread its 50% SL on Gamefly right now! I went a head and bought two copies since I'm getting my friend to play with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Requiemcliff View Post
    That's kinda my thought on it so far, good expansion to be sure, but the leveling *sigh*
    To be honest, I'm pretty sure that's the reason I didn't level too much during beta. To be honest, I've lost the MMO love and, despite how much I like Trion as a company, I just don't have the desire to continue dedicating any real time to any MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    To be honest, I'm pretty sure that's the reason I didn't level too much during beta. To be honest, I've lost the MMO love and, despite how much I like Trion as a company, I just don't have the desire to continue dedicating any real time to any MMO.
    That's what happens for me with every video game XD. I sub to it for a few months, get bored of it, and forget about it for a long time while I play a different game. I love the games, but after a while I get bored with them and need time to kinda "recover" from playing them so much XD

Deleted
    How's the leveling compared to vanilla/bc?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zomgarn View Post
    How's the leveling compared to vanilla/bc?
    Oh, much easier than that.

It's like WotLK prior to being nerfed and lacking flying mounts slowed down just a slight bit more.

I complained (no, I really bitched about it) about the leveling initially (check my posts on here and the forums), but I think I was just being impatient and anxious to get to 60 as I have really limited play time lately. So, I may have been a bit selfish.

Then, I made a decision to NOT set my goal as level 60 and to just enjoy myself. Yes, with my limited time to play, I now have like THREE raids ahead of me to "catch up" on - one month later - DAMN you Trion for being so damn efficient! :P

I diversified in a bit of PvP, a bit of Instant adventure, Hunt Rifts. As you can see from my rogue, I got like 3 or 4 areas still to uncover and I am level 60. My cleric is now almost level 51 from just doing a few onslaughts while watching a video at the same time - "City Core", I love you! Heck, I didn't even go afk while leveling like this.

I am also smarter regarding questing and didn't initially know you had to swap continents each time you leveled for maximum efficiency. I intend on starting at Cape Jule, gong to Peladane (sic?) and then back and forth.

That said. If you sit down and just want to get to 60, my gods, you are going to sweat - not because leveling is hard but because the zones are just so damn huge and there is so much to do. You must remember that the zones and quests are much bigger than almost anything you have seen in WoW.

Distractions abound like crazy as well. Quest... oh, look at the pretty flower. Oh, look at the pretty Karthite node, Oh, look Zone Event! Oh, look - some invading mobs from the plane of death. Pop Planar Power. Destroy them. Most, however ALL give xp. Oh, look... a puzzle. "/G This quest is broken! Guys! why are the balls not lighting up in the right order!"

Remember there is a story line for every single zone in the game and it almost all contributes to the lore in some way or another. For example, Freemarch is about Kain and Alsebeth, Stonefields about Titans and eth technology, Scarwood about... the cult... etc etc...

Also, I have to completely relearn my class as there are more talents, changes to every single soul, and new souls to deal with.

Macro single button use seem to have been nerfed - Seatin will know better than me. I used to be an above average raid leader and an average tank in TBC and WotLK, but now in Rift, I am - at best - an average dps'er. I've just had so many other things in life distract me from being a good gamer.

If you chill, take it easy, slow, and ENJOY the ride, you will absolutely love the leveling experience.

I absolutely love that the war fronts are all similar to AV in execution or a type of "paintball" speed-ball type battle. Well, that what it reminds me of. As a guy that sucks at PvP one-on-one, I really like that I can serve as a healer / bard and make a difference where otherwise I wouldn't.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2012-12-15 at 08:08 AM.

Deleted
    Gotta say the levelling is a bit brutal and quite lengthy - but i dont see this as a negative. Rifts new continent is stunning, visually and atmospherically. Love the way the whole landscape can change depending on events or whats happening nearby.

I've been 50 for a couple of weeks, still 57 (and a half!), and im taking my time. Dont get me wrong - i cant wait to hit 60 as i'd assume it opens up a whole new world of stuff to do for me other than xping (i wasnt even max level before SL, so have never experienced any expert/raid content).

I like the "grind" - but im a 13 years veteran of Everquest, im kinda used to a harsh levelling curve

I just wish i could convince my mates to play - atm im mostly playing on my own (except my guild, but none of my closest gamer friends, they'll still stuck on WoW etc). I really hope this video will be enough to show them just how good this is! Great work

10+ Year Old Account
    Very good video internet sir, always speaking, knew the facts & gave his honest opinion.

My question is for the things in Rift you don't like & could change,

What would they be & Why ?
    Last edited by Arbs; 2012-12-15 at 11:47 AM.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archdruid Dehydrate View Post
    Very good video internet sir, always speaking, knew the facts & gave his honest opinion.

My question is for the things in Rift you don't like & could change,

What would they be & Why ?
    I wouldn't be completely unbiased in my recommendations due to me being a very casual player.

They have addressed the quantity - and ease of obtaining infinity stones. They have made getting ready to raid much easier. I mean, granted, I did have a lot of platinum that I made from gathering - I recommend everyone start with FULL gathering on all 3 professions and make gold - if levelling from lvl 1.

I was raid-ready in like one day after hitting 60. Immediately ready for experts at lvl 60.

What would I change? I would still like a 15~20% drop in xp from lvl 55 to 60 as there is a bit of a brick wall there that may affect some other players. I mean - if a guy is just going to want to rush to 60 and doesn't like questing, why stop him? Let him do it easier. Also, veteran vials - make them give 100% xp gain again. I absolutely love questing, however. The stories in Rift are rich and diverse.

Other than that, I can't think of anything off the top of my head except maybe being able to buy old world event currencies with planarite.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2012-12-15 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by forsman View Post
    If you play wow currently - i can understand why you would say that. After all the years I wasted in WoW and then found Rift I kinda felt the same way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    If you play wow currently - i can understand why you would say that. After all the years I wasted in WoW and then found Rift I kinda felt the same way.
    Hmmm, interesting... I never considered he actually could have indicated a sense of regret with his comment.

Good point. Maybe you're right and I misinterpreted it originally.

Cant agree with descriptions of Rift leveling as difficult or lengthy. It flies by quickly, and there are so many options to get it done. I'm finally able to pull myself away from my main for a bit to bring up my alts and they're just tripping over levels. I don't personally do a lot of questing except when my girl is in the mood, even as someone who isn't into that style the exp is banged out well smoothly. I just get annoyed with being hyped up as a juggernaut saving villages and civilizations alike and then being asked to gather firewood from some overweight shmuck in City Core. No. No. Almost as bad as the vehicle stuff they've started adding in.