Page 1 of 3
LastLast

[RESTO] need advice

hey, just wanted to drop in a log/armory for my 10m resto druid to see what he may be doing wrong. I play a monk and have never healed with a druid so im mostly clueless. Before i link his info i'll explain the situation. Last night was his first night in MV. he raided back during icc, and skipped most of cata and came back for mop. last night was his first mop raid other than lfr, and he went from pro back in icc to scrub last night. fights we typically 2 healed with a monk/resto shaman, we were unable to do and had to 3 heal them (elegon specifically). on elegon, while two healing with an undergeared disc, the druid was topping at around 35-36k hps, while the disc was in the mid 50's. The druid was also ooming roughly 50% into the fight, typically during the second pillar phase. we decided to go back to 3 healing so i went mistweaver on my monk and we 1 shot it, so i'm guessing heals had a lot to do with it.
    here is his armory
    and here are the logs

i do realize he is a scrub and didn't enchant half his stuff, but i feel there is something flawed with his rotation/healing moreso than his gear... but then again im no resto druid

any help would be great, as he is moments from deciding to reroll holy pally.

One thing I notice is there is a high amount of overhealing for the amount of actual effective healing done. This means 2 things, either he is using the wrong spells and/or healing people when they are already high in health. Or he is really slow at healing and having heals sniped by the other healers. Either way it is inefficient and wasting mana yet not actually providing much healing.

Most fights his wild growth is more than 50% overhealing. It cost a decent chunk of mana to use so you need to make sure that it is hitting enough people and that enough people need are low enough. Its a great spell when used correctly.

His spirit is on the low side so he really needs to be more efficient with healing. I also don't agree with the glyph choices.

The overall breakdown of spells is "ok" but like i said most of it is overhealing. Lots of regrowths so hopefully he is only casting most of them on a mana free proc. Just yeah its hard to say anymore without being in the raid to see if he is just spamming heals for no reason and oom'ing early or the other healers are topping people up and he is too slow getting heals out so most of the hots are wasted and going to over heal. Other than that you know that he is blowing through mana and not healing much.

As a guide I looked at some of my logs for my druid and my overhealing is 10-20% average. I see his overhealing at 40-60% which is insanely inefficient. On most fights literally half of his heals are doing nothing because its all overheal.
    Last edited by Derpyhooves; 2012-12-13 at 04:26 PM.

Deleted
    From looking at his armory, it's very clear that he's lacking spirit; 7000 is way too low, especially for a beginner. He can probably get quite a lot more just by gemming better with blue sockets going for 320 spirit, red sockets going intellect + spirit and yellow sockets going mastery + spirit. A nice amount of spirit for me is around 10000, and I usually perform very well with mana problems on just some fights (Garalon and Lei Shi mainly). He should also look over his haste, seeing as the breakpoint is at 3043 and he's a bit above 3200. He's using glyph of rejuvenation, which surely can be good on some fights, but druids don't really use nourish that much anymore. Seeing as he only has a 20% uptime on the glyph aswell, I'd suggest dropping it for glyph of wild growth or or glyph of healing touch.

Looking at the logs from your Elegon kill, you can see a 28,3% uptime on Lifebloom. There's little reason to ever let it drop off on that fight and I'd think you can reach a 90% uptime or so, at least. He also only threw swiftmend 12 times, it's a 15 second cooldown spell and is our without a doubt most effective heal. It should always be used on cooldown. He also only used tranquility once in an 8 minute fight.

He has a very low harmony uptime of only 68%, this can easily be solved by him using swiftmend on CD, as it's a 20 sec duration buff and swiftmend has a 15 sec cooldown. He used his Jade Courtesan Figurine 4 times, it has a minute cooldown. He used Incarnation once and didn't use Nature's Vigil at all. They're both on 3 minute cooldowns and should be used more frequently.

I'd just suggest he reads through the resto druid guide on this forum and try to improve the points I made above.

He needs to gem for straight spirit, use innervate at 80% so he can use it more times in the fight, cycle cooldowns to get the most out of them and profit. <3

I think that he panics a bit too much than what he need too. For elegon fight he casted regrowth atleast 12 times without having clearcasting up that means he spent 240k mana on that. Having that little spirit as he have that is fatal. He needs to regem to spirit mastery, also i saw that he didnt use his tranquily that good on that fight aswell. So i think that he needs to get more comftorable with healing and getting more into the fights so he can predict damage. Also his overhealing with wild growth is WAY too high its over 50% overhealing, it should be around 20-25% MAX.

7000 spirit is plenty. The first week vaults was available I raided with that much and was fine. I still run around 7500 spirit with 490 ilevel now and am downing 9 of 16 bosses on heroic with it. The only fight that is tight on mana is heroic will of the emperor because it's 10+ minutes long and constant damage.

Stacking spirit for 10 man is very bad. You need throughput, not longevity. Druid is already by far the most efficient healer, you just have to learn how to play it in MoP. You have to be patient, let your hots do their work, learn what your other healer(s) spells will do and when they tend to cast them and balance yours accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post
    7000 spirit is plenty. The first week vaults was available I raided with that much and was fine. I still run around 7500 spirit with 490 ilevel now and am downing 9 of 16 bosses on heroic with it. The only fight that is tight on mana is heroic will of the emperor because it's 10+ minutes long and constant damage.

Stacking spirit for 10 man is very bad. You need throughput, not longevity. Druid is already by far the most efficient healer, you just have to learn how to play it in MoP. You have to be patient, let your hots do their work, learn what your other healer(s) spells will do and when they tend to cast them and balance yours accordingly.
    This is very true. I heal in a group with a monk and a disc priest and I rarely keep up in throughput, because honestly, you just can't as a resto druid. I've definitely gone the route of less spirit and more intellect (using int food and flasks as well) and have found that in 10m it works out way better for me. Learning the patterns of the other healers and adapting to them is something resto really needs to do. My biggest concern would be that if this player hasn't really healed since Wrath, they need to go through the 'mana matters' learning curve again. The days of rejuv blanketing are gone (at least til gear gets better), so he'll have to relearn how to play the class.

Quote Originally Posted by timeconsumer26 View Post
    i do realize he is a scrub and didn't enchant half his stuff, but i feel there is something flawed with his rotation/healing moreso than his gear... but then again im no resto druid

any help would be great, as he is moments from deciding to reroll holy pally.
    Not sure he'll do much better by just rerolloing h pally, most of his issues are things that he could've worked (i.e. enchants/gems) and his healing skills seem to be lacking as you can see ppl pointing at his overheal and/or him going oom by panicking and not being pro-active enough with his innervate.. But then again, maybe hes just not used to a hot healing class so pally might be a better option....

Thanks for all the feedback so far. He was complaining about the class but I figured there was still significant room for improvement. The issue were runnin into is that I am the designated off spec dps, therefore he has to pull more weight two healing, so my concern is more on the two healed wipe attempts than the actual kill.

If he's going to reroll, he might as well go disc priest since that is the flavor of the month, but yes there are lots of ways to improve his play. Unfortunately being the best played druid means you are still worse off than an average paladin or disc priest at the moment.

I am testing the waters on a reroll myself, but had intended to go shadow priest. I find myself playing a lot of disc, though, and it's an interesting change. Still a 'planned prevention' healing style like pre-hotting before burst by pre-bubbling, just with little/no damage taken instead of mass gradual health gain afterwards.

Yeah, our resto shaman just rerolled disc, so having another reroll to disc may be a bad idea INB4 nerf bat swings... (I main a most weaver so maybe I'm pessimistic about the likelihood of blizz allowing disc to stay dominant long). I know that two healing with a disc and resto Druid isn't the best comp because both are proactive (pre hots etc) so a lot of hots go into overheal, but I know we should still be able to do normal modes with that comp, with my monk healing the 3 heal fights. Any tips specifically for healing next to a disc?

7k spirit is plenty for normal mode MSV.

His Harmony and Lifebloom uptime are both low. He's casting too many Regrowths, not enough Healing Touch, and isn't casting any Nourishes (which is a good spell to cast during downtime, if nothing else, to refresh Lifebloom). His overhealing is extreme. If there's nothing to heal, he shouldn't be casting HoTs.

Basically, his spell usage is extremely inefficient. He's clearly still stuck in Wrath mode, where you just sat there and spread HoTs, and speed was key. He needs to worry less about HoT coverage, and more about efficient healing. You want to use as little mana as possible to get the needed healing done.

How do you guys manage healing CDs? I only saw 1 tranquility cast total on the Elegon attempts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinsoul View Post
    How do you guys manage healing CDs? I only saw 1 tranquility cast total on the Elegon attempts.
    to be honest, the only rotation for healing CD's was discussed for p3, after BL... which on all the wipes, he was always oom or dead by then lol.

Quote Originally Posted by PHsname View Post
    not enough Healing Touch, and isn't casting any Nourishes (which is a good spell to cast during downtime, if nothing else, to refresh Lifebloom)
    Only issue I have with this advice is that both HT and Nourish isn't worth casting in most cases. Even if its just a nourish to refresh lifebloom.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Branch View Post
    Only issue I have with this advice is that both HT and Nourish isn't worth casting in most cases. Even if its just a nourish to refresh lifebloom.
    Healing Touch is a better alternative to use on your raid-members that won't take physical damage, since it'll average more healing than your Regrowth will.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckgirl View Post
    Healing Touch is a better alternative to use on your raid-members that won't take physical damage, since it'll average more healing than your Regrowth will.
    a bit confused on this statement....... if they are not taking damage why do you want to cast HT on them?

He's referring to the living seed from the regrowth crit since living seed only procs on taking physical damage. If someone is taking magic damage, it's better to heal with HT than regrowth. I still use regrowth for the cast time difference though since I raid 10 man, and casting time is hard to come by when it's hectic.
    Last edited by Maxvla; 2012-12-14 at 08:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't 2 heal elegon tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Soullord View Post
    a bit confused on this statement....... if they are not taking damage why do you want to cast HT on them?
    Re-read it, he's saying "wont take physical damage" - as in wont benefit from Living Seed - they could still be taking magical damage and therefore require healing.

That being said, HT is too slow and crits too rarely at current gear to be worth using over RG - which, even ignoring living seed, will be more healing than any - non crit HT's. Yeah crit HT's will be bigger, but its just too slow and to rare to be worth at this point. (especially the too slow point - faster cast RG means more time to Rejuv/cast ooc RG's)