Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

[Music] Why dont most Americans like Techno or "Club Music"?

After the 90s and majority of rap music turned to garbage I needed something with good beats and a fast tempo so started listening to techno and dance/club music. Pretty much like most styles especially Hardstyle, Happy Hardcore, and Euro Dance but when I got to local bars and clubs people only want to listen to Hip-Hop. Have 3 close friends that own bars and on Friday and Saturday night two of them have a DJ but when I try and get him to play techno either he only plays one or two songs the entire 5 hours hes there or just says "Id love to play some but no one wants to hear that around here" The 3rd just has one of those new jukeboxes that downloads pretty much anything you want to hear but when I play techno he hits the skip button. I love listening to the stuff and have tons of remixes some as long as 4-5 hours. But it seems like most other Americans cant stand the stuff and just wondering why.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, as being one of those that personally doesn't like techno, I seem to believe it has something to do with the fact that its just a thing that hasn't REALLY caught on yet..things have their ups and downs, maybe it'll be the next big thing.. now if you want to go into say a mental reason as to why it is unpopular, Imo something to do with the fact that it IS so fast paced, it actually scares some? I know I don't like having all the random beats that dont seem like they should be there poppin into my head, then you can barely hear the music..thats actually song dependent though so.. idk, I'm mostly a country guy! haha
    Duck walks into a bar, says to the bartender, "Got any grapes?" Bartender says no, duck says "Got any grapes?" "No" "Got any grapes?" "NO!" "Got any--" "If you say got any grapes one more time I'm going to nail your bill to the wall..." "Got a nail?" "No." "Got any grapes?"

Not to generalize but most club music I've heard is crap.

Might be a socialization thing, I know a lot of Americans who listen to house music and feel the exact opposite of the way I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Not to generalize but most club music I've heard is crap.

Might be a socialization thing, I know a lot of Americans who listen to house music and feel the exact opposite of the way I do.
    Well arent there like 20 different kinds of music that fall under the category of "Techno" or "House Music" I agree some of it is crap but I like the faster upbeat stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Generally, if someone wants to hear club music, they go to a club, generally at a bar, people want music they can sing along to, dance to, etc.
    2. Most techno is more "complex" than what most people want to listen to at a bar. People usually want something that they already know, something simple that they've heard a million times already on some pop station.
    3. Techno gets a bad reputation for being an "outcast druggie" kind of thing, because that's really what it was for quite a long time.

But really, techno has it's place in clubs, and at least they occasionally put techno on in bars, can't say the same about Metal

Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    Well arent there like 20 different kinds of music that fall under the category of "Techno" or "House Music" I agree some of it is crap but I like the faster upbeat stuff.
    Yup there is.

Maybe that's the problem, we hear x song and think if we don't like that particular kind of house music we don't like all house music. At least that is probably what I did.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I tend to judge music by how it sounds, rather than judging the genre.

10+ Year Old Account
    Club music to me is background noise. I'll throw it on when I'm cleaning the house or piddling around on browser games but other than that, it just doesn't have a place for me. The community really destroys it as well. It seems to be overflowing with elitist who bark the loudest to make sure that everyone who dislikes a song is told that they don't understand it or cant appreciate its "complexity" which is horseshit.

Some of us just really dont get into the overly-synthesized sound. I much prefer vocals over wooden and string instrument.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

I don't know, I think american dance music is slowly drifting in that direction. There have been a couple of Tiesto tracks that have become popular lately as well. There are just other genres that are also popular so I guess there is competition for the "mainstream" spots.
    Q: Where the fuck is Xia Xia, SIU?!?!
    A1: She needs to start making eggs for Easter...
    A2: Drunk and sleeping somewhere.

Some of us just really dont get into the overly-synthesized sound. I much prefer vocals over wooden and string instrument.
    Same, sums it up well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    After the 90s and majority of rap music turned to garbage I needed something with good beats and a fast tempo so started listening to techno and dance/club music. Pretty much like most styles especially Hardstyle, Happy Hardcore, and Euro Dance but when I got to local bars and clubs people only want to listen to Hip-Hop. Have 3 close friends that own bars and on Friday and Saturday night two of them have a DJ but when I try and get him to play techno either he only plays one or two songs the entire 5 hours hes there or just says "Id love to play some but no one wants to hear that around here" The 3rd just has one of those new jukeboxes that downloads pretty much anything you want to hear but when I play techno he hits the skip button. I love listening to the stuff and have tons of remixes some as long as 4-5 hours. But it seems like most other Americans cant stand the stuff and just wondering why.

Welcome to 1990, sorry but Techno was very popular in the late 80's and early 90s in the US. If you hang out with the drugged out hippies they listen to Techno still. Most people today have moved on. However there are several underground music styles which have taken parts of techno and made them interesting again. So Euro dance aka techno is old here in the US, ask someone in their 40's about techno.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post

Hah, opposite for me. Even vocal trance gets me irritated.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I remember going to clubs in the late 80s and early 90s and listening to Techno music. That craze ended about 20 years ago in the US and we picked up other tastes in music since. Remember, what is ancient for those of us in the US is new in some parts of the world.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    Remember, what is ancient for those of us in the US is new in some parts of the world.
    Most of the electronic music you americans got came from europe. Also, I think the OP is referring to all kinds of electronic music when he says techno, not just techno. Yeah I know actual techno originally came from detroit, but most people think of any kind of electronic music when they say techno.

I'm not really sure why americans hate it but it might be a cultural thing. Like how they held anti disco demonstrations in the 70's because they felt threatened by it being more popular than rock or something.

Well I'm not American, but the vast majority of "techno" and "club" music just sounds like someone whacking me in the ear with a hammer.

That repetative computer generated beat just makes me cringe.

Deleted
    I thought most Americans did.

To answer your question, because most of it is bland crap that is completely uninteresting to listen to unless you're drunk in a club.
    Last edited by mmocb2e6f9716f; 2012-12-16 at 07:06 PM.

Deleted
    Well I'm English and dislike Techno and "Club Music".

Deleted

how about that

I can't stand "club" music that gets played here. It's nothing but hip hop remix's which is terrible.

Techno in itself is fine. This coming from a serious metal head but I enjoy gabber in the likes of neophyte, scott brown etc. I use to be a raver and that type of techno was just great but club music is pretty fucking terrible.

Generally prefer music performed by musicians rather than something you could create with R2D2.

I know that's a bit harsh, but you get the idea. I'm not 100% against techno, but it doesn't compare to orchestrated music with actual instruments. To me Techno is an imitation of music as it's electronic sounds imitating musical instruments. It's alright to listen to, but if someone wrote out the composition of a techno song and performed it with an orchestra taking on the different sounds, I suspect I'd prefer the orchestration.

Now that I think of it...that'd be pretty cool to hear how it came out. Does such a thing exist? I know there are techno versions of classic orchestrations. Anything out there vice versa?