Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Fastest spec from 85 to 90? Elemental or Enhancement?

I'll buy the adventuring gear so that's no issue!

10+ Year Old Account
    Melees always had an advantage casters didn't for questing from my personnal experience.
    Originally Posted by cutterx2202
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

Deleted
    Go for enhancement. I found leveling as enhancement way easier since they're better at survival. But that's just my personal opinion.
    Elemental annoys me like hell when it comes to all the movement thats required when it comes to questing.

Enh for sure. Enh as 90 for sure as well.

Enhance will have less downtime. You can chain pull with little problems, whereas with Elemental, you can run oom.

Deleted
    Elemental is way faster by far, mana never gets low. Enhancement always gets low on health after a mob fight, as mob melee hits like a truck. And why waste time moving around? This isn't raiding, so just stand still and nuke, they'll die before they even get to you.

---------- Post added 2012-12-16 at 11:46 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gurushockin View Post
    Enh for sure. Enh as 90 for sure as well.
    At 90 the gap between Ele being better than Enh is even wider than at 85-89.

i have no clue about shamans on this level, but there is on more argument:

i hate leveling ranges, because when i kill a mob far away from me, i must run to its corpse and loot it.. and there is no such problem, when you are in melee range 99% of time )
    Aldoraan Ret Pally since 2.4

Outland - love forever

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldoran View Post
    i have no clue about shamans on this level, but there is on more argument:

i hate leveling ranges, because when i kill a mob far away from me, i must run to its corpse and loot it.. and there is no such problem, when you are in melee range 99% of time )
    However, if you were melee you would have to run to the mob first. You can pull it with a ranged ability but you're still running forward as melee, unless you root them as ranged it's going to come towards you and close the gap in a similar fashion.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    However, if you were melee you would have to run to the mob first. You can pull it with a ranged ability but you're still running forward as melee, unless you root them as ranged it's going to come towards you and close the gap in a similar fashion.
    This is true. Also you can often stand still and just nuke a bunch of mobs with almost no movement, then after all in area are dead, loot one, and with area loot you'll get all. Very quick and easy.

I did both. I leveled as Elemental on MOP BETA and then on live I leveled as Enhancement. On BETA as elemental, the spell pushback of being meleed always bothered me. Although with Echo/Mastery, if RNG was on your side you would almost kill a mob in like 3 GCDs. As enhancement the less downtime/running around was nice, But I noticed once I hit like 88 and 89, your gear scales down and the damage was so lacking if you didnt get crits and as mobs HP got to almost 400k. Although the last level I took all intellect gear since I was gonna main Resto and OS elemental. I would almost say whatever you prefer playing, in my opinion atleast.

Quote Originally Posted by Teye View Post
    Enhance will have less downtime. You can chain pull with little problems, whereas with Elemental, you can run oom.
    oom as elemental in any pve scenario = basic l2p issues, i leveled from 85-90 in DS hc gear, i found no issues with mana at all, and 87-90 was completely solo.

ele felt squishy when I lvled my shaman, even tho she had about 390-392 ilvl when starting out in jade forest. downtime didnt occur due to being oom from combat, but having to heal between fights and ooming from that. enha should be quite a lot better :>

Deleted
    I leveled 85-90 as elemental 3 times now. I mainly heal on my shaman so you get instant dungeons have the gear for both dps and healing when you reach lvl 90 your dps and self healing is amazing. Just make sure you get the glyph to cast lightning bolt while running and all benefits enhancement have goes away.

---------- Post added 2012-12-16 at 05:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by kassy View Post
    ele felt squishy when I lvled my shaman, even tho she had about 390-392 ilvl when starting out in jade forest. downtime didnt occur due to being oom from combat, but having to heal between fights and ooming from that. enha should be quite a lot better :>
    How do you go oom? unless you are spamming chainlightning on single target and healing yourself all the time before the adds die. In the 85-86 one heal could literally get me back to full health if the adds ever got to me. I think i was at 100% mana all the time, only when doing instances would it sometimes drop to 90%

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, if you're going OOM as Elemental past about level 30 (wherever you get Rolling Thunder now), you're doing something wrong. The basic rotation is mana-positive enough to regen back any mana you spend healing, and AoE is even more mana-positive under the conditions where you'd want to use it.

Both specs work just fine. Elemental probably has a slightly easier time with AoE packs, Enhancement probably has a slightly easier time with strong single target enemies (but not the rare spawns; those have easy patterns that let you solo them as either).

I'm leveling Elemental right now at 87, and unless something changes wildly in the next couple levels, I'm pretty befuddled by people saying they're running OOM or feeling squishy. The burst damage is excellent on single target, the AoE is fine, and reasonable use of Healing Stream Totem and Stone Bulwark Totem provides far more survivability than I've needed for anything. I'm sure Enhance is fine too, but I chose Ele because I wanted to have gear that was essentially interchangeable with Resto.

Deleted
    I did it as elemental on my shaman, resto for dungeons just to complete the quests for extra xp with no que.

Here are my own 2 copper pieces. By way of disclosure, I raided elem/resto on Lich King and almost exclusively enhance in Cata. I leveled both elem and enhance in MoP, and play both specs at times now.

ELEMENTAL

Pros:
    1) You most definitely will not OOM bless you try to do so, and even then it's hard.
    2) You will also be collecting resto gear, which will come in handy if you decide to instance level at all
    3) Most things will be dead or nearly so by the time they reach you. I took less damage by far as elem
    4) If you do need to heal, you have plenty of mana to do so

Cons:
    1) Pushback is a possibility if you get meleed

ENHANCE

Pros:
    1) You have a lot of survival tools and really nice burst damage. Spirit Wolves rock now.
    2) You have ranged tools if you do need to pull from a distance

Cons:
    1) You can only squeeze out 2-3 heals if you do find yourself low. This is the only situation I have found myself low on mana as a shaman in this cycle.
    2) Enhance gear is obviously useless for any of the other 2 specs.
    3) The ability priority system is more complex than elem. Before the flames start, note that I did not say "overly complex", or "harder than <insert name of class/spec here>", I just said more complex then elem. This won't matter much on short fights.

Really, it just comes down to if you want to be melee or ranged, and if you think you might also want to heal. They are both fun specs.

Enhc, I tried both Enhc was waaaaaaaaaaay faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Emophia View Post
    Enhc, I tried both Enhc was waaaaaaaaaaay faster.
    I can't really see how this would be the case, unless you're doing something wrong. As Ele, mobs die in ~5-8 seconds. How much faster are you going to get?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I can't really see how this would be the case, unless you're doing something wrong. As Ele, mobs die in ~5-8 seconds. How much faster are you going to get?
    I actually tested it out on the beta, since I wasn't sure we'd be able to keep up mana throughout due to the mana pool changes and such. Elemental was, if anything, faster than Enh, in my experience, but it wasn't a big difference either way. I stuck with Elemental because there was no point swapping for leveling speed.