Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Is Guild Wars 2 for me?

I'm really interested in the game, like really really interested. The thing is that none of my gamer friends are into MMOs. So the question is if Guild Wars 2 will still be fun for me without my buds playing with me.

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    No MMO is fun alone, unless you are good to make friends online
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

Tough to say. Games, especially MMOs, are always better when playing with your friends. While I enjoy GW2 I can't say that it is better than a single player game. But then I have a dislike of mmos so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glaukus View Post
    I'm really interested in the game, like really really interested. The thing is that none of my gamer friends are into MMOs. So the question is if Guild Wars 2 will still be fun for me without my buds playing with me.
    I would say no if you are that dependent on playing with friends. I play WoW and have several friends there and it does make that game more enjoyable, but I also enjoy playing GW2 alone and have no friends there. Really depends on why you are playing and what you expect from the game. Myself, I can have a lot of fun playing by myself or with friends.

If you are fairly comfortable in social situations online, I would say you will get a good amount of fun from GW2. One of the great things about the game is the fact that it rewards cooperation with other players. I've had some fantastic in-game experiences with people I've never met before while doing events.

I can only speak for myself: It's not difficult to find friends in GW2. All mechanics are designed around cooperation (no loot stealing, no node stealing, no flagging enemies for yourself, everyone can ress anytime, no groups needed to buff/help others, most buffs (called boons here) you call are for nearby allies,...) so helping others happens all the time and you will be happy anytime you see other players.

It's sad thinking of other games wich make you think of other non-guildmember-people in a negative way. My friend (coming from WoW) was totally surprised as someone ressed him next to a chest and champion npc. The stranger tried everything to help his downed character, even if it meant his own dead. In the end both managed to survive, distract the champion of the other, loot the chest and get away.

Some of the greatest moments I had in GW2 was with strangers. Love to help others with my Mesmer portal to get around difficult situations or to hard to reach locations in jumping puzzles. In that fractal where there is a ramp and people are dying on it I pop my portal, run by the obstacles and put down the portal exit on the safe side. When people fall off cliffs and barely survive I put in my reduced-fall damage trait (which gives us a chaos storm too with good defensive buffs), jump down to him/her and get him back up with my portal safe.

Not to forget you can play it as a single player RPG as well by following the story quests. The community on Guild Wars 2 is VERY good.

After the shine wears off, playing with friends is really all that is left in gw2.

Deleted
    Guild Wars 2 is fun, but not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    After the shine wears off, playing with friends is really all that is left in gw2.
    And even playing with friends doesn't make it worthwhile unless you really like the mechanics of the game, think I was the first of my friends to leave the game and I know several of them quit shortly after as well.
    Playing GW2 for a couple of weeks actually made me pick up WoW and buy MOP instead which was something I had no intentions on doing ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by Caelia View Post
    Playing GW2 for a couple of weeks actually made me pick up WoW and buy MOP instead which was something I had no intentions on doing ever again.
    yeah most people I know who went back to WoW a.) would have gone anyway, because they feel they "have to" and/or b.) came back to GW2 soon after.

I love Guild wars 2, I really enjoy the game, but I have no friends and I am looking for a guild to make friends with..

I played for the first month and fell in love with the game, once Mists came out, I got it (like planned) and played for 4 weeks at easily 8 hours a day, no life, no sleep, work full time.

My sever on Warcraft is BEYOND DEAD, my old guild full of Warcraft friends left for greener pastures, I am not ok with spending 25 bucks to transfer, on top of paying to play and paying for expac's.

I stuck it out, I made my own guild, came really close to raiding in mist in 10m and fell short. the last of my on sever friends transferred, and my IRL friends stopped playing the game, 7,739 hours (which i know people that have so much more) and 11 characters, 1= 90, 9= 85, Monk alt= 30. Will forever remain frozen in time, I un-subbed and came back to GW2 (were i should have never left in the first place after just loving the game)

But like people have said its a struggle without friends, and If i can't make them soon its going to be a sad day, I love the game and really wish my friends played but none of them do.

If it was me, id say buy the game, its the same as getting some stupid xbox game for the 60 bucks and playing it for 20 hours and shelving it, its worth it to play even if you just make one character level to 80 and shelf the game, but you might make friends, or get into spvp, or like it enough to make a new character.

TLDR= The game is best with friends, but its 60 bucks, if you actually buy stuff and are just trying to justify the purchase I promise its already justified, even friendless you will get your moneys worth from the game, even if it appears "short-lived"

Quote Originally Posted by Caelia View Post
    It made you pick up WoW? That is some compulsion. Why would you go back to a game that you had no intention of playing again?

@above.

Comfort?

WTB gw2 friends!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barcasaur View Post
    WTB gw2 friends!
    i would suggest grouping up with people on these forums and going from there, you can also find guilds on r/guildwars2 and i believe there is actually a website for guild recruitment as well. good luck to you man.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

I think the box price is easily justified by the leveling experience, whether you play with a bunch of friends or not.

Whether you like it at cap as an MMO is another discussion, but I don't think you'll feel ripped off (at least I didn't).
    Retired GM of Temerity - US Top 50 raiding on a strict 3 nights since Ulduar. Check us out!
    https://www.wowprogress.com/guild/us/hyjal/Temerity

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha originally that happened to me too. Although, I only played mop for about a week.
    This is not a game you want to play by yourself. Just get into the game and find yourself an active guild. The game isn't great and isn't terrible, but worth the box cost. I would never pay a sub for it.

They had a trial weekend on Halloween, perhaps there will be another one later (Christmas perhaps?). Your best bet would be to try the game out and answer the question yourself, in my opinion.

The trial weekend wasn't on Halloween, it was the Karka event. Probably the wrong time for a trial then.

my thoughts on gw2 as a wow player

Having stopped playing wow near the end of wotlk i randomly decided to pickup a copy of gw2 without putting much thought into it.
    I really enjoyed it at first, i like different spells with different weapons feature.
    I really dont like not having a designated role, dungeons feel like 2007 when you are trying to run rfk and youre in a group where your tank sucks and your healer is constantly afk and the 2 rogues and hunter keep pulling everything off the tank and things are just attacking everyone and you're having a real bad time

I dont understand pvp very much yet, but every time i join a game i just get zerged by 3-4 members of the opposing team and i don't have enough defensive abilities to stay alive.

I also find it hard to target members when im getting zerged, tabbing between enemies isn't very smooth.

being instantly brought up to level 80 to do pvp is okay, but honestly the most fun i've had in bgs was when i outgeared or outleveled everyone.
    that feeling of assholish godliness doesn't really exist when everyone is equal.

that being said the game is still very young and has a lot of room for growth but if you're looking for a wow fix where you can just pick the game up and play anytime you want to without having to worry about activating and deactivating your account this isn't the game for you.

english is my second language so please dont mind grammar.