Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Why is the connecticut incident gaining so much attention? Is it fair?

Well, we all know there are shootings. This one is the newest one. Everyone's been sadend by this shooting and I am finding it hard to understand something. Why does this one seem to be gaining so much more attention? Is it because there were more casualties then normal? I just struggle to understand why this one is so much more heard of. What about the loved ones of the victims for all the other incidents that were horrible too but gained less attention.

15+ Year Old Account
    Because this time, 20 KIDS died. Killing adults is horrible enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because its shocking and close to home.
    Putin khuliyo

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's 20 first graders...

Quote Originally Posted by Eowenn View Post
    Because this time, 20 KIDS died. Killing adults is horrible enough.
    Any lives being ended is horrible, despite what age. Is this one gaining more attention because it makes a more compelling story due to age? If so, how is that more fair then remembering anyone of any age who tragically lost their life's to incidents like this one.

Its the fact that the kids were all 6-7 years old, and thus are deemed as innocent.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Any lives being ended is horrible, despite what age. Is this one gaining more attention because it makes a more compelling story due to age? If so, how is that more fair then remembering anyone of any age who tragically lost their life's to incidents like this one.
    There's nothing fair about this situation. What get's more news coverage than what is completely irrelevant. I'm almost positive the families of these aforementioned other incidents could care less about what gets more attention and what doesn't.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

Quote Originally Posted by geewhiz80 View Post
    Its the fact that the kids were all 6-7 years old, and thus are deemed as innocent.
    But why is it that the age makes the story stick out so much more? Why is it this incident is gaining so much more attention then all the other incidents. It just isn't fair to the families of all the others who were gunned down in incidents. They were innocent too in those situations. Students who were older, people just trying to make a living and provide for their families. This just doesn't make sense to me.

Oh here we go again. Lets not turn this into another pointless thread about why ppl can't grasp why the death of a child hurts so much more. Have some consideration your timing for such inquiries is really stupid and pointless. The other thread made that point quite well. I'm beginning to think ppl are actually trolling with treads like this.

Infracted: Please post more constructively instead of complaining about a multitude of similar threads and bringing nothing to the discussion.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2012-12-18 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zigzagzoom View Post
    Oh here we go again. Lets not turn this into another pointless thread about why ppl can't grasp why the death of a child hurts so much more. Have some consideration your timing for such inquiries is really stupid and pointless. The other thread made that point quite well. I'm beginning to think ppl are actually trolling with treads like this.
    First of all, I didn't see any other thread. Secondly, I truly cannot grasp why this is is so much more hurtful. I have plenty of consideration. I saw the president speak about this and I was shocked at how little the nation seems to care in any other case compared to this.

What's REALLY shocking is that you think a kid going on a rampage and murdering a bunch of fellow students is an unremarkable occurrence and are surprised people pay attention to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

First of all, I didn't see any other thread. Secondly, I truly cannot grasp why this is is so much more hurtful. I have plenty of consideration. I saw the president speak about this and I was shocked at how little the nation seems to care in any other case compared to this.
    I'm baffled you don't get it. Just baffled. It's kids, 6-7 year olds, 1st graders. It's so obvious it needs no explanation.

But why is it that the age makes the story stick out so much more? Why is it this incident is gaining so much more attention then all the other incidents. It just isn't fair to the families of all the others who were gunned down in incidents. They were innocent too in those situations. Students who were older, people just trying to make a living and provide for their families. This just doesn't make sense to me.
    Because society views children as COMPLETELY innocent while teenagers and adults are considered less innocent. Are you really this dense? It is sadder when a 5 year old dies than when a 90 year old dies. It is sadder when a 50 year old dies than when a 90 year old dies. It is about how much life is left (to a degree, I find the death of a 5 year old sadder than a 1 month year old because I hardly can recognize babies as people).

Deleted
    I am not exactly sure when was the last time somebody killed 20 1st graders.

What? Why would you have to even ask that question?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    What's REALLY shocking is that you think a kid going on a rampage and murdering a bunch of fellow students is an unremarkable occurrence and are surprised people pay attention to it.
    Actually, it wasn't a fellow student. It was a 24 year old man named Adam Sanza. Still, it doesn't make the whole event any less tragic and horrible.

Whether or not you can grasp the concept is not important to the question. You asked why it's gaining so much attention, and you have your answer. Twenty children were murdered. People find the murdering of children to be much more repulsive (which is not to say that there is a case where the murdering of innocents is not repulsive) due to the fact that they're generally viewed as being more vulnerable and innocent.

If you can't understand that, then you can't, but that's not the point of the thread you made.
    Last edited by StationaryHawk; 2012-12-17 at 02:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I honestly have no interest in the rampage and it happened a town over from me. Not surprised others are interested though.

---------- Post added 2012-12-17 at 02:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    Whether or not you can grasp the concept is not important to the question. You asked why it's gaining so much attention, and you have your answer. Twenty children were murdered. People find the murdering of children to be much more repulsive (which is not to say that the murdering of innocents is not repulsive in any case) due to the fact that they're generally viewed as being more vulnerable and innocent.

If you can't understand that, then you can't, but that's not the point of the thread you made.
    Actually, his thread does ask whether it is fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaldrus View Post
    Actually, it wasn't a fellow student. It was a 24 year old man named Adam Sanza. Still, it doesn't make the whole event any less tragic and horrible.
    He was 20, his brother is 24

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Simply normal human emotions that make you feel more sad when a kid dies than when a very old person dies. It's not that hard to understand really, we all have pretty much the same emotions.