Thread: Warcraft Lore

Deleted

Warcraft Lore

I'm quite interested in WoW Lore, but I really don't know where to start...

Could someone tell me the order in which to the read the books (I assume that the books cover all the lore?) If not the Warcraft games? I heard they have a lot of lore that isnt covered in books, but tbh I looked at the warcraft games and I'm not very good at RTS...How is lore showed in an RTS?

Anyway, any help would be much appreciated!

Books and www.wowpedia.org.

All you really need.

Deleted
    In the RTS you will have all the dialog and cinematics.
    you could watch all the dialog and cinematics on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexi View Post
    I'm quite interested in WoW Lore, but I really don't know where to start...

Could someone tell me the order in which to the read the books (I assume that the books cover all the lore?) If not the Warcraft games? I heard they have a lot of lore that isnt covered in books, but tbh I looked at the warcraft games and I'm not very good at RTS...How is lore showed in an RTS?

Anyway, any help would be much appreciated!
    Read the entirety of Tolkien's works and supplant some of the character's names with those of the more popular WoW characters and you pretty much have it.

Just kidding. Like Strafer said, wowpedia.org and wowwiki.com are good places to start.

Deleted
    Used this post to find what order to buy and read the books myself.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2423033313

Quote Originally Posted by Narveid View Post
    Get the http://www.wowpedia.org/Chronicles_of_War , thats a good start.
    after that, Day of the dragon -> war of the ancients

The main RTS to play is Warcraft 3 and its expansion, The Frozen Throne. That's where most of the WoW lore is: that said, Warcraft 1 and 2 are quite fun as well and cover the less referred to, yet arguably just as important stories of the First and Second wars. For example, if you play WC1 and 2 you'll find out just why Lothar is so revered.

If you're bad at RTS games though, just remember the following: http://classic.battle.net/war3/cheatcodes.shtml

10+ Year Old Account
    There are two compilation books that I feel are where you should start. However Chronicles of War is really the only mandatory one is definitely where you should start.

Chronicles of War
    This contains 4 books, all of which are needed to understand the lore and are also the first that you should read. I don't persoanlly have the book as I bought them indivudally before it came out, but I'd assume they are chronological order.

The books are in order:
    Rise of the Horde - Gives the story of the corruption of the Orcs. It also starts with a small prologue of the corruption of the Eredar and Velen leading the Draenei away.

The Last Guardian - Introduces you to the characters Medivh, Khadgar and Anduin Lothar and details how the Orcs came to Azeroth.

Tides of Darkness - Details the events amongst the Second War and founding of the Alliance of Lordaeron and their war against the invading Horde. If you like the Alliance then this is probably going to be your favourite book as it introduces and progresses some of our most memorable characters such a Turalyon and Alleria along with the 7 Human Kings and also progresses Anduin Lothar and Khadgar.

Beyond the Dark Portal - The Orcs return to Azeroth and the Alliance is forced to counter attack them to end the threat once and for all.

The Warcraft Archive
    This contains 4 books.
    Only one of which is needed to understand the lore however as it's a compilation will save you money. That book being Lord of the Clans which introduces you to Thrall and his rise to Warchief.

There are no books concerning the events of WC3 so either you have to read them on wowpedia or you can buy the game. The game itself is still worth it for the story alone, I only bought it two years ago and while I was skeptical about a game that old I found it fantastic. Pick up the original if your interested as it's not that much, compared to other RTS the game doesn't focus as heavily on your economy if that's any help about the game itself.

The order in which the books and mangas are released are not their chronological order lore wise. I think I can get them all in order

Pre First War
    Rise of the Horde
    First War
    Tides of Darkness
    Second War
    Beyond the Dark Portal
    The Last Guardian
    Day of the Dragon
    Lord of the Clans
    The War of the Ancients Trilogy (Starts here but the time traveling predates everything on the list)
    Third War
    Arthas: Rise of the Lich King (It *ends around here* but has bits and pieces from the 1st war)
    World of Warcraft
    Cycle of Hatred
    Ashbringer (Comic)
    The World of Warcraft Comic Books 1-4
    Burning Cursade
    Night of the Dragon
    Sunwell Trilogy (Manga)
    Shadowing (Manga)
    Wrath of the Lich King
    Deathknight (Manga)
    Mage (Manga)
    Stormrage
    The Shattering: Prelude to the Cataclysm
    Cataclysm
    Shaman (Manga)
    Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects
    Wolfheart
    Jaina Proudmore: Tides of War
    Mist of Pandaria
    Pearl of Pandaria (Comic Book)

I wouldn't really bother any more save for a passing interest; it's all retconned on a whim and when it suits Blizzard anyway.

No finer example than Night Elf society, which was essentially turned upside down in-game.