Poll: Should America go metric?

Page 44 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post
    Yeah 32 degrees is a logical number for freezing and 212 for boiling. Whoever figured that would work along with using the kings foot was really onto something. We should go back to doing medicine like they did back in those days too, since it makes just as much sense, lol.
    Way to completely miss the point.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    If we go metric system can everybody else go with the English language that would be awesome.
    Yes, this would be awesome. I'm from Sweden, we have english as a main course though all of our school years. And if everyone had this, there wouldn't be any language barriers left to argue about. Also, metric with english to all!

I grew up imperial, and when I got into engineering and architecture courses at school, I seriously started to get pissed about the imperial system. Metric is also so much easier once you get a grasp on it's scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    I would prefer the metric system since I've used it a lot but the dating system is not metric. Also Fahrenheit is more useful for everyday situations like the weather. There is too much difference between 5 Celsius degrees, the temperature range in most places would only be +/-20-30 C through the whole year.
    Interesting, I never looked at fahrenheit like that. To you, 20-30 must sound so little. To me, the whole fahrenheit system sounds crazy, bordering to the insane: such huge differences. I guess it's a matter of what you're used to, of perception also: to me, there's a big difference between 10 and 12 degrees celsius. 20 degrees can be slightly chilly for my taste, 23 is about perfect, 26 will be too hot (note that I suck with heat, so these values may seem really low to those who love the sun, the summer, and walking around half naked dripping in sweat - I'm just trying to illustrate to someone unfamiliar with the celsius system that really, though there is "much difference" between 5 degrees celsius, it doesn't make it impractical).

Quote Originally Posted by Echolith View Post
    Yes, this would be awesome. I'm from Sweden, we have english as a main course though all of our school years. And if everyone had this, there wouldn't be any language barriers left to argue about. Also, metric with english to all!
    Agree, that would be awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavoo View Post
    Well I do have a penis attached to me as well but I dont know 'a lot' about it, I dont even know how it tastes. Maybe you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    Everyone who does not miss Vanilla has no heart. Whoever wishes it back has no brain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Echolith View Post
    I will not cut myself from my culture by adopting English as my main language. There is no adequation between a language and a measurement system. One carries an entire culture, the other is merely a tool. American culture will not be overly changed by adopting the metric system, while my culture will be pretty much altered by switching to English. If it's only about knowing English for business or to simply communicate with other countries, I would say that it is already pretty much the case anyway.

Anyway, a world where everyone would be speaking English would be boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    I will not cut myself from my culture by adopting English as my main language. There is no adequation between a language and a measurement system. One carries an entire culture, the other is merely a tool. American culture will not be overly changed by adopting the metric system, while my culture will be pretty much altered by switching to English. If it's only about knowing English for business or to simply communicate with other countries, I would say that it is already pretty much the case anyway.

just like if everybody used metric.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAccuracy View Post
    Hectometer(hm) = 100 meters
    However it is rarely used.
    Tell that to Usain Bolt.

10+ Year Old Account
    It will be a cold day in hell before I use the devil's metric system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Metric is better in every way.

The US was suppose to convert to metric a long time ago. Unfortunately, they only taught it (and still teach it), but never actually converted to it. It would be very difficult to convert for many people, specifically distances/height, speed, and weight, because its not commonly used or seen when these numbers are given in the American measurements. The easiest way would be exposing people to them by putting both on signs, speedometers, weights, scales, and other devices that give this info. They already put the metric conversions on foods and beverages, but not cooking instructions. It would make things easier if they tried to provide both, while retraining everyone to use metric.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessani View Post
    The easiest way would be exposing people to them by putting both on signs, speedometers, weights, scales, and other devices that give this info.
    This is already done.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

I disappeared for a while then, forgot I was going to respond here lol

This is why we should NOT use metric.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6xJfP7-HCc
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post

The post you're quoting isn't suggesting English should be your main language. Or rather, it isn't suggesting it should be your mothertongue. It's suggesting that you should get taught it from the day you start school so you can communicate equally on an international level. (The again, people who read/watch more things in English will always be better than people who never are exposed to it).
    Nothing about "Hey, stop using German, use English!" Rather "Okay, school time. Now it's time for you to learn a second language which works when you work and/or travell!"

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm so glad Canada uses metric. No way I could stand using QUARTS and fuckin miles lmao
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzgerald77 View Post
    I'm so glad Canada uses metric. No way I could stand using QUARTS and fuckin miles lmao
    sounds like somebody is 2 legort 2 quart.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

As an American I really wish that we would do so on a major scale. I use it in practice, but I still can't eyeball it quite as well.
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead, and that World of Warcraft died with him."

I say we can go ahead and switch to Metric, but save Fahrenheit and the date system. Those aren't measures of Metric anyways, are they? (I'm probably wrong, my science knowledge is next to nil).

Fahrenheit is better because it gives more specific temperatures and they also "seem" more extreme. You tell someone it's 105 degrees outside they're bound to do a double-take and prepare themselves. Tell them it's 40 degrees Celsius and it just doesn't seem that major. Just in my mind, anyways. Also apparently the difference between 105 and 95 degrees Fahrenheit is only 5 degrees Celsius. That's the difference between a miserable afternoon and a fairly mild one (In Arizona anyways). You can't mark that with only 5 numbers!

Date system, I don't know, it would be impossible for me to switch to saying the date first. Our system has always made more sense because if someone asks you the date, you're probably going to say 'December 21st' and not 'the 21st of December.' Just my two cents anyways.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, you've got the date system you have because of how you in English generally say December 21st. But in many other languages you actually do it the other way around. But you're right in it not being an SI system.

As for insane degrees. When you've grown up with Celsius since you where a toddler 40 degree's is pretty insane. Saying it's 100 Degree's out almost make's me go "huh" for a second before I realise it's in F. Since I for a second thing it's 212 degrees.

Also, Decimals are awesome! Don't be afraid of them! 5 degree's in Celsius is at least 10 steps since half degrees, and most I know use full tenths! So it's 50 steps!
    Yes, possible in Farenheit but with how scared everyone who uses it on this forum seem's to be of it I believe it's not.

10+ Year Old Account
    I voted NO, and I'm not American, for one simple reason:

You guys deserve a free pass on stubbornly telling world standards bodies to go fuck themselves. You single-handedly led the charge in not signing the ITU's disgusting and insane Internet treaties last week, so feel free to enjoy your miles, feet and inches for a while. You have our permission

Actually, one thing: I'm a programmer that does a lot of work with databases and financial systems. Damn your friggin' illogical ass-backwards month-day-year thing... Seriously... Gargh! Days are a smaller unit of measurement than months. Months are smaller than years. Day-<of the>-month-<of the>-year makes so much more sense. </rant>
    Last edited by Klingers; 2012-12-21 at 12:55 PM.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.