10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoyed and loved Legend of Korra, probably because I am not taking the damn thing seriously like all of you that are pointing out problems and criticizing some parts of it, why not just enjoy it and put your mind at ease? It's hard to enjoy anything when you think so seriously of something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    I enjoyed and loved Legend of Korra, probably because I am not taking the damn thing seriously like all of you that are pointing out problems and criticizing some parts of it, why not just enjoy it and put your mind at ease? It's hard to enjoy anything when you think so seriously of something.
    Honestly, it captivated me too back when I first saw all the episodes (week by week) and then not until the last episode people get all pissy about how fast it finished. Granted I do think they should have probably put more parts into that one episode but I really felt my guy wrench when I saw that ending scene on the boat in Republic city.
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    Korra as a character is an idiot. I tried to enjoy it, but I couldn't. Isn't that enough?

You're applying the broken logic of "it's just a game, stop taking it seriously" and "it's just a cartoon, stop taking it seriously". I'm spending my time watching/playing something, if I didn't enjoy it am I not allowed to criticize it? Especially when I know the show's producers have created something mind-blowingly amazing in the past.

I can tell you right now that nobody would've been pissed about LoK if AtLA hadn't come before it. Their standards and expectations for the show would've been quite low...but of course LoK will be compared to AtLA, and it's just nowhere near as good. The last episode literally made no sense whatsoever, it felt like 5 episodes had been condensed into one - and the show was already lacking pacing due to all events being so incredibly rushed!

On it's own I would say LoK is a DAMN GOOD cartoon if I was go ignore the existence of AtLA. There, happy?
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

That's really about the extent of it. ATLA set the bar really high in terms of storytelling. LoK inherited all of the production quality and flair but very little of the literary depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Korra as a character is an idiot. I tried to enjoy it, but I couldn't. Isn't that enough?

You're applying the broken logic of "it's just a game, stop taking it seriously" and "it's just a cartoon, stop taking it seriously". I'm spending my time watching/playing something, if I didn't enjoy it am I not allowed to criticize it? Especially when I know the show's producers have created something mind-blowingly amazing in the past.

I can tell you right now that nobody would've been pissed about LoK if AtLA hadn't come before it. Their standards and expectations for the show would've been quite low...but of course LoK will be compared to AtLA, and it's just nowhere near as good. The last episode literally made no sense whatsoever, it felt like 5 episodes had been condensed into one - and the show was already lacking pacing due to all events being so incredibly rushed!

On it's own I would say LoK is a DAMN GOOD cartoon if I was go ignore the existence of AtLA. There, happy?
    It's not just the fact that it has AtLA to be compared to. Even without it, there are still plenty of problems with the show that alot of fans want to ignore and brush under the rug.

Don't get me wrong, I love the series, but it took alot of bad turns towards the end. The first few episodes were great, showing an Avatar who was like an opposite to Aang and everything. THough I did raise a few eyebrows about the idea of her being a super star with her bending naturally. Since, as far as we've been led to belive, Avatars have been chosen by subtle hints toward who they are, then they get told when the time is right and begin to learn the other elements. Nope, super master of everything but air for no real reason.

Then... they start adding in romance... and the poor use of antagonists and the obvious plot holes. All to wrap up with a last minute of, "Well, despite the fact that an Avatar without bending would make a good plot for the next season, Ima just press this auto-fix button and make the entire thing pointless."
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonas View Post
    It's not just the fact that it has AtLA to be compared to. Even without it, there are still plenty of problems with the show that alot of fans want to ignore and brush under the rug.

Don't get me wrong, I love the series, but it took alot of bad turns towards the end. The first few episodes were great, showing an Avatar who was like an opposite to Aang and everything. THough I did raise a few eyebrows about the idea of her being a super star with her bending naturally. Since, as far as we've been led to belive, Avatars have been chosen by subtle hints toward who they are, then they get told when the time is right and begin to learn the other elements. Nope, super master of everything but air for no real reason.

Then... they start adding in romance... and the poor use of antagonists and the obvious plot holes. All to wrap up with a last minute of, "Well, despite the fact that an Avatar without bending would make a good plot for the next season, Ima just press this auto-fix button and make the entire thing pointless."
    IIRC korra was waterbending at two, firebending at five, and earthbending by like 8, THATS how they found out she was the avatar. When we saw the first episode, the white lotus did not want to even say korra was a master bender, because, well, she isn't, while she knew the forms, she never used them to have "traditional" bending, and to me, it fit her "what ev' i do wut i want!" attitude. So bitch and moan about how at the end she magically started to airbend, with nothing monkish about it. watch it, the air is just blasts, no form, no art, no beauty, just BLASTS of air.

so it seems to me that korra is closer to the BASE, or true power, of bending, than the "art" of bending, whereas aang was more of the "art" and less of the power. And don't you forget, Korra, a WATERTRIBE girl, and a WATERBENDER first, uses FIREBENDING as her primary element when fighting, because, even though she is a waterbender, firebending is closer to her personality.

10+ Year Old Account
    The first few episodes were great, showing an Avatar who was like an opposite to Aang and everything. THough I did raise a few eyebrows about the idea of her being a super star with her bending naturally. Since, as far as we've been led to belive, Avatars have been chosen by subtle hints toward who they are, then they get told when the time is right and begin to learn the other elements.
    I think they took some hints for Korra from Avatar Kuruk, the previous water-tribe avatar who went around the world showing-off, using his powers not for helping others but only to impress people. He was basically a selfish twat and paid for it dearly when he lost his love to Koh :P

Nope, super master of everything but air for no real reason.
    The reason was sorta explained, water/fire/earth bending masters were in abundance but there were no master airbenders to be found until she met Tenzin...which was much later in her life. The air nomad race is only just recovering, only 1 master is alive and he's a busy guy :P

This is one of the things that totally ruined this season for me...so much potential with the final episode and further plot! All wasted. The romance and relationships made no sense...frankly if Asami and Mako were to vanish I wouldn't even care. Both were stuck-up idiots. Just keep Bolin + Pabu around for comic relief (because nobody's going to come even close to fuckin replacing Sokka, but at least they can try right?).
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-12-15 at 10:21 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    All to wrap up with a last minute of, "Well, despite the fact that an Avatar without bending would make a good plot for the next season, Ima just press this auto-fix button and make the entire thing pointless."
    While I agree that a season of bendingless Korra might have been interesting, you have to remember that the series was originally only supposed to be one season, so it needed to stand on its own and have closure at the end. Also, I didn't think it was such a bad ending anyway. Not the best they could have come up with I'm sure, but certainly not bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightamethyst View Post
    While I agree that a season of bendingless Korra might have been interesting, you have to remember that the series was originally only supposed to be one season, so it needed to stand on its own and have closure at the end.
    If that was the goal then I'm afraid it over-ambitious, much too difficult. Aang took a total of ~60+ episodes to defeat Ozai, and they had to make Korra defeat a similarly powerful villain in ~12 episodes. It aslo seems they first decided exactly how many episodes they wanted, and THEN built the plot around having that many episodes - it's the only explanation to why everything felt so rushed and there was no time for character development or pacing, along with the last episode which felt like 5 episodes squeezed into 1.

They weren't kidding when they said this was more like a pet project, perhaps with a far lower budget and far fewer people working on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is one of the things that totally ruined this season for me...so much potential with the final episode and further plot! All wasted. The romance and relationships made no sense...frankly if Asami and Mako were to vanish I wouldn't even care. Both were stuck-up idiots. Just keep Bolin + Pabu around for comic relief (because nobody's going to come even close to fuckin replacing Sokka, but at least they can try right?).
    Absolutely nobody will ever replace him, he's to awesome. Seriously Sokka had some great character development during Book 3 too, I loved him throughout that entire book.

---------- Post added 2012-12-16 at 05:05 AM ----------

If that was the goal then I'm afraid it over-ambitious, much too difficult. Aang took a total of ~60+ episodes to defeat Ozai, and they had to make Korra defeat a similarly powerful villain in ~12 episodes. It aslo seems they first decided exactly how many episodes they wanted, and THEN built the plot around having that many episodes - it's the only explanation to why everything felt so rushed and there was no time for character development or pacing, along with the last episode which felt like 5 episodes squeezed into 1.

They weren't kidding when they said this was more like a pet project, perhaps with a far lower budget and far fewer people working on it.
    Shame but I think they will change that with the idea of having more than just a Book 2. Maybe they will go back in the future sometime or even in the next season and clear up the Book 1 plot holes, I think then we can say we're happy if that happens.
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    Shame but I think they will change that with the idea of having more than just a Book 2. Maybe they will go back in the future sometime or even in the next season and clear up the Book 1 plot holes, I think then we can say we're happy if that happens.
    In retrospect perhaps "plot hole" is the wrong term since almost anything can happen...technically the writers could say almost anything to explain how/why she learned airbending, energybending and full mastery over the avatar state all in less than a day.

10+ Year Old Account
    In retrospect perhaps "plot hole" is the wrong term since almost anything can happen...technically the writers could say almost anything to explain how/why she learned airbending, energybending and full mastery over the avatar state all in less than a day.
    Well I guess they could get away with giving the bending back considering she knew all of it before. Energybending is fine because it's not a bending that you learn the same as the others hence the reason Aang could teach her it (just like the Lion Turtle did to him). They did make it look a bit easy giving bending back to the people who had lost it but maybe it made that light show because Ozai was the embodiment of evil and Aang good. Who the fuck knows anyways right? XD
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I guess they could get away with giving the bending back considering she knew all of it before. Energybending is fine because it's not a bending that you learn the same as the others hence the reason Aang could teach her it (just like the Lion Turtle did to him). They did make it look a bit easy giving bending back to the people who had lost it but maybe it made that light show because Ozai was the embodiment of evil and Aang good. Who the fuck knows anyways right? XD
    or maybe they felt that the light show would just be way to much to do the like 100 people shown who got energy bent

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe the light show only happens when bending is taken AWAY, not given back. Remember Amon was using bloodbending to seal away bending - if bending is taken away using energybending there is absolutely no hope of getting it back without the avatar. Actually it's questionable whether even the avatar could undo that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe the light show only happens when bending is taken AWAY, not given back. Remember Amon was using bloodbending to seal away bending - if bending is taken away using energybending there is absolutely no hope of getting it back without the avatar. Actually it's questionable whether even the avatar could undo that.
    That would make sense, because the lion turtle did say that if you take someone's bending away with energybending that your will would have to be stronger, so there'd be a struggle between the two forces. Whereas, if you gave it back there wouldn't be a struggle.

Although, honestly they probably said, "fuck it." Which doesn't really bother me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess it's not to big of a deal in the end regarding energybending. Is it just me or did Amon seem like a pretty powerful waterbender overall, I just remembered how fast he traveled when he was knocked into it.
    Hey everyone

I guess it's not to big of a deal in the end regarding energybending. Is it just me or did Amon seem like a pretty powerful waterbender overall, I just remembered how fast he traveled when he was knocked into it.
    I would guess that natural talent comes with his mental blood bending abilities. THough we never saw Yakon do much bending besides in his trial, I'd assume he was pretty powerful at normal waterbending as well. Maybe they were even more powerful than Katara at her peak.

Swimming faster is probably just a benefit to waterbending, like how some earthbenders can run really fast on land. Come to think of it, we really don't see much underwater waterbending. All I can think of was in AtLA when they were going through serpents pass and when they were in the submarines during the invasion.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh hey guys this looks like a nice thr..

Quote Originally Posted by Muzual View Post
    zuko x zuko?

selfcest is good
    .. Oh god why.
    Quote Originally Posted by eternalwhitemoon View Post
    Why strive to be excellent, when being just mediocre still kills the boss?

Duhhh lol. Amon was like a god tier waterbender who was specialized in bloodbending. (And a super amazing bloodbender at that, as well as bloodbending already being rare.)

That'd be like saying an expert metalbender being able to earthbend well is notable (look at what linn did when she got her powers restored.) or like saying "hey that guy is the best brain surgeon in the world. I bet he's a pretty good medical doctor as well."

ANYWAY. Nope sorry I think the energybending at the end was bullshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Duhhh lol. Amon was like a god tier waterbender who was specialized in bloodbending. (And a super amazing bloodbender at that, as well as bloodbending already being rare.)

That'd be like saying an expert metalbender being able to earthbend well is notable (look at what linn did when she got her powers restored.) or like saying "hey that guy is the best brain surgeon in the world. I bet he's a pretty good medical doctor as well."

ANYWAY. Nope sorry I think the energybending at the end was bullshit.
    I'm sure with more than Book 2 in the future they will plan ahead instead of that ending that we had in Book 1. They really need to take an episode or two in Book 2 and clear some issues up. I still watch that boat scene today and I tear up a bit regardless of what anyone else thinks when I see him take the gas cap off. Noatok even shed a tear, now to me I'm not sure but I think he knew Tarlokk was about to do it... Any thoughts on that?
    Hey everyone