Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Since when did getting kicked = deserting?

So I was queued for a heroic on my hunter while doing Klaxxi dailies. While doing the Rampage Against the Machine quest (the kunchong vehicle quest), a queue pops. Since I was in a vehicle, it did not put me in the instance right away.

I looked at the group members and I see that they are in Gate of the Setting Sun. Good, I needed a few items from there. So I said "sec, vehicle" in party chat and finish off the last 50 or so mantid for the quest, which took about a minute and a half. As it loads me out of the vehicle, I am votekicked from the group. Mildly annoyed, I go to requeue for heroics. After all, it was only a 10 minute queue in the first place. However, I open up the LFD menu to see "You recently deserted a group and cannot queue again for: 29 minutes 45 seconds."

I realize this is probably a bug, but if this is seriously Blizzard's idea of a functional LFD kick system, they must be out of their minds. I can point out right from the beginning that it says quite clearly on the the menu is for DESERTING a group, and the debuff states that I ABANDONED a group, when I was voted out by other group members. I never even got to teleport to the instance. Basically, because a group of players was too impatient to wait less than two minutes for me to port in, I have to wait for not only the 15 minute dungeon cooldown, but also the extra 15 minutes from the deserter debuff on top of that, while being told that I have to wait extra because I abandoned my group.

Before going on a rant here about the stupidity of such a system, I decided to google search "vote kick and deserter", and found several people experiencing the same thing. Here is a little gem where someone gives his account, and a blue poster responds, saying that it is not intended and the issue is "currently under investigation".
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2504881840
    Date posted? August 9 2011. 16 months ago. How about that 'investigation'?

So I learnt a lesson today: Don't risk getting votekicked in instances, because you will be blocked from LFD for half an hour due to your clear abandonment of the group, and this issue is apparently too complex to solve within even a year.
    Stulti se laudant.
    Minecraft Survival Server: 203.206.166.219:25565
    http://www.youtube.com/user/fpiceail

Deleted
    It's funny how a pug grp usually can't do anything right exept for high speed kicks...

OT: Personally I have never had that problem. Only the opposite actually, not getting deserter even if I left at the start of a dungeon.

I'm sorry, but that sounds like it's working as intended. If you didn't get the debuff after a votekick, people would just start to queue up for randoms, notice that it wasn't the one they wanted and afk until they get votekicked. And if afking doesn't work, just be a royal butthole until someone kicks you. It would be a great way to farm gear, though.
    This was your own fault. You shouldn't have accepted when it popped as you wanted to finish the quest. In fact, you were wasting the group's time. You were rude.

Quote Originally Posted by Praest View Post
    I'm sorry, but that sounds like it's working as intended. If you didn't get the debuff after a votekick, people would just start to queue up for randoms, notice that it wasn't the one they wanted and afk until they get votekicked. And if afking doesn't work, just be a royal butthole until someone kicks you. It would be a great way to farm gear, though.
    Yeah, go ahead and make a 'working as intended' argument when there is a link to a thread in which a Blizzard representative says that it is not working as intended.

No matter how much you think it is a good idea (which it isn't, by the way. For starters, there is a dungeon cooldown), it is obviously not intended. The problem is, it has been there for 16 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Praest View Post
    This was your own fault. You shouldn't have accepted when it popped as you wanted to finish the quest. In fact, you were wasting the group's time. You were rude.
    I am sorry for thinking a 1-2 minute wait wasn't too much? Hell, they could have pulled and killed some of the trash without me easily.

Besides, the reason I was kicked is totally irrelevant to the point of this thread. Whatever the reason, getting a deserter buff from being kicked is improper, and it is frustrating that this issue has been known for so long yet it has not been fixed.
    Stulti se laudant.
    Minecraft Survival Server: 203.206.166.219:25565
    http://www.youtube.com/user/fpiceail

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonwing View Post
    Yeah, go ahead and make a 'working as intended' argument when there is a link to a thread in which a Blizzard representative says that it is not working as intended.

No matter how much you think it is a good idea (which it isn't, by the way. For starters, there is a dungeon cooldown), it is obviously not intended. The problem is, it has been there for 16 months.

I am sorry for thinking a 1-2 minute wait wasn't too much? Hell, they could have pulled and killed some of the trash without me easily.

Besides, the reason I was kicked is totally irrelevant to the point of this thread. Whatever the reason, getting a deserter buff from being kicked is improper, and it is frustrating that this issue has been known for so long yet it has not been fixed.
    But why should anyone wait for you? Why is it fair to expect them to clear trash for you just so you can come back in for the boss kill?
    And okay, even ignoring whether you deserved to be kicked or not: Yes, of course it should give you a de-buff. It's supposed to be a punishment. Not a work-around to leave the dungeon without any consequences.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's possible that they decided to change their minds/it wasn't easy to fix the problem. That or it's not considered a priority by any means. You don't get deserter from being kicked after a boss though do you? (working on the assumption that you don't get it if you leave after a boss.) So they may have thought the situation doesn't happen often enough to justify the work changing it.

I don't normally vote kick unless someone isn't present by the time we reach the first boss. Unfortunately you were doing GSS, and the trash up to the first boss can be cleared in a minute, so they could have decided to kick you because they were at the boss.

Deleted
    Wait, that is not supposed to give you a debuff? Now thats bullshit. If anything getting kicked should get you a longer debuff regardless of the progression of the dungeon. Going even further, if you have been kicked a set number of times (or a percentage of your dungeon queues) you should not be able to sign up for a dungeon for a week.

And yes, you deserved to get kicked. You think that you are important enough that four other people should gladly take time out of their days to wait for you to finish a quest which you could have finished later without any loss of time whatsoever? Yeah, I would have kicked you aswell. And this is not even about whether or not you not being there prevented them from pulling trash, it is about your lack of respect towards the people you are paired with.

i see nothing wrong here. you were kicked from a group wanting to do a random because you would rather do quests than said random. essentially what you were doing was asking four strangers to put their game on hold for you to do something you can do after the run ends.

The day they implement debbufs for those that get kicked is the day people will start being less retarded/special snowflakes in randons.

If you only had like 5 left it would have been fine but 1 minute and 30 seconds? That's ridiculous. People don't have all day, so yeah this is working as intended. (This is even worse because you said "sec" which implies things would be a bit faster than that.)

Quote Originally Posted by jonny888 View Post
    But why should anyone wait for you? Why is it fair to expect them to clear trash for you just so you can come back in for the boss kill?
    And okay, even ignoring whether you deserved to be kicked or not: Yes, of course it should give you a de-buff. It's supposed to be a punishment. Not a work-around to leave the dungeon without any consequences.
    Unless it's been changed, the game doesn't allow you to initiate a kick against someone the first 2 minutes, unless you're an infrequent user of the feature, there are some vehicles you cannot just exit right away either even if you wanted to(some you can, but won't save time plummeting to your death and then having to recover the corpse).

And as long as the system that restricts your ability to initate kicks more, the more you kick people, it won't be a work-around, especialy if it's still exemting the situations it's had in the past, no deserter if leaving after a boss kill, after dying death, or when the person getting kicked is offline. So no, it's not intended to be granted as a punishment that you can easily avoid recieving if you're actualy wanting to get out.

At least there seem to be fewer people who like have a stick up their rear end about petty things like that, than there are people they get worked up about, gives shorter ignore lists. Although i can't speak for other regions or factions, i suppose it is theoreticaly possible that most of the bad people go to the horde, giving a different situation on that side.

10+ Year Old Account
    You wasted a groups time and got kicked for it? Omg no way

Quote Originally Posted by BaZERGer View Post
    Unless it's been changed, the game doesn't allow you to initiate a kick against someone the first 2 minutes, unless you're an infrequent user of the feature, there are some vehicles you cannot just exit right away either even if you wanted to(some you can, but won't save time plummeting to your death and then having to recover the corpse).

And as long as the system that restricts your ability to initate kicks more, the more you kick people, it won't be a work-around, especialy if it's still exemting the situations it's had in the past, no deserter if leaving after a boss kill, after dying death, or when the person getting kicked is offline. So no, it's not intended to be granted as a punishment that you can easily avoid recieving if you're actualy wanting to get out.

At least there seem to be fewer people who like have a stick up their rear end about petty things like that, than there are people they get worked up about, gives shorter ignore lists. Although i can't speak for other regions or factions, i suppose it is theoretically possible that most of the bad people go to the horde, giving a different situation on that side.
    Not sure which one you're saying is petty: complaining about being kicked/deserter, or people thinking its deserved to kick others for wasting their time.

Sorry OP, but I agree with the majority here. If you expect a group to wait for you or do a 5man with 4 people (yeah, I know, easily doable) making them do more work it isn't going to work. I wouldn't have kicked you personally, but it's still not fair to make people wait.

On the topic of the debuff, it SHOULD give you a debuff when kicked else people would just be a dick or go AFK as mentioned above to skip the queue times when they don't want to leave and get deserter.

Happened for me too. I joined a heroic that had 4 other members same server and guild, they tell me to tank when I'm clearly dps spec, geared, and role. I tell them no. They vote kick me immediately, I got deserter. This is all within 30 seconds of joining the dungeon.

How is this fair to me and inconvenient to them? They are obviously abusing the system, not me, as I joined the dungeon when I was ready and fully prepared to do my role.
    Last edited by Ssateneth; 2012-12-18 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ssateneth View Post
    Happened for me too. I joined a heroic that had 4 other members same server and guild, they tell me to tank when I'm clearly dps spec, geared, and role. I tell them no. They vote kick me immediately, I got deserter. This is all within 30 seconds of joining the dungeon.
    That's a harsh situation, but then, even if you had stayed with that kind of group, it sounds like they're the kind of people who would have need rolled on everything even if you needed it anyway. And if you left of your own accord/frustration, you'd still have had the deserter debuff. It is lame, but I doubt you'd ever have been in a win situation with a group like that, no matter what the loot/kick/deserter rules are.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny888 View Post
    Not sure which one you're saying is petty: complaining about being kicked/deserter, or people thinking its deserved to kick others for wasting their time.
    The deserter debuff is just a report bug and move on, petty is getting worked up over 1-2 minutes, or getting worked up over the fact that some guy got to skip a trash pack you didn't.

If a person isn't there by the time you reach first boss, then sure, but i really can't be bothered caring about a missing player on something as trivial as trash.

Don't you have to wait a couple of minutes after the dungeon starts until you can even kick someone? I tried to kick a couple of bots from our instance group while leveling my twink monk and the error message always stated that I had to wait a couple more minutes until a kick is even possible.

Just because there is someone with a similar issue from last year, doesn't mean it has been broken the whole time or that it is the exact same thing. In my opinion, i think you got deserter for not being in the dungeon when vote kicked, you were not with your group so you technically did abandon them whether you meant to or not, this sounds like it is an intended part of the system.

10+ Year Old Account
    You clearly were not ready to take the queue.

Maybe you should have asked the party if they were comfortable waiting a minute or two so you could finish a daily.