Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Would you use a teleporter if..

Ok, I remember years ago I saw a short cartoon sketch about someone inventing a teleportation machine. He stepped though one end and appeared in a tube the other other side of the room. After his friend looked at how the machine worked, he discovered the machine would clone the person using the device which formed the information in the other tube, including all there memories, and then destroy the original in the first tube.

Anyway, if you could use a machine that could teleport you anywhere, but ultimately would destroy you and have a clone of you in its place, would you use it?
    #boycottchina

15+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't be the first one through... but if it was commonplace then sure

i saw the first star trek. im not going first

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem is that a clone with all your memories is still not you.

Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    because it has a dot in the eye, like in that Arnold movie about clones?

I don't think I would volunteer experience death, if it also lets me teleport a distance of one room. Maybe if there was some kind of a disaster that would kill me, and that was the 'escape pod', I would take it.

Deleted
    Hm...

I don't think I would do that, I think I wouldn't mind walking or something instead.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be dead. So no way.

If I was about to die (getting chased into a room with a teleporter by a horde of undead vampire kardashians). I'd use the Teleporter to copy me and send me elsewhere, I'd be dead anyway so why the hell not!

Plus it would be kind of cruel to rob the world of someone like me

10+ Year Old Account
    Reminds me of the move with Hugh Jackman where he sacrificed himself for a magic trick.

No I wouldn't use it because I would die.

I'd rather be alive. My clone wouldn't be happy about someone being killed just for his transportation either.

Deleted
    Well, tbh, I think it would be a problem if you knew it would kill you and create a clone, with the same memories, etc. If that is the case, your clone would live a terrible life thinking about how you're not real(the clone would think this), and I think I would like to spare my clone that.

Well that is teleportation, a stream of all the information that makes you up is sent to another point and put back together. It is, no matter what way you look at it, a clone that comes out the other end.

It will not be you looking through those eyes, just a perfect copy, that would live its live the exact same way you would of.]

but anyway, knowing what i know ofc not. I like living, and really its obvious that would not physically be me. However if i grew up where this was common place, then that information would probably not have been made clear to me (ie by learning the ideas and theories behind teleporting, because i found it interesting, which I would not have had it been common).

I think as a technology, people are much more likely to use portals where we bend space/time to make two places that aren't near each other meet than they ever would teleportation, simply because of the 'Did I teleport, or did I just get created and what was back there died?' dilemna.

If you used the teleporter you would be you to anyone else but you. The real you would be gone - you would experience death and it would not be you "waking up" at the other end.

That's a pretty fun question actually. All of your memories, everything that is you is right there at the other end. Are you really dead then? If you believe in a human soul, can that be cloned as well? And if you don't believe in the soul, or have worry about a God or afterlife, would you really care then since you would essentially still exist in the same fashion you use to? That actually got me thinking of a ton of questions, so thank you for that. ^^

But in the end, I would say no. There's enough in the world that contributes to humanities obesity problem. Could you imagine what would happen if we didn't have to walk anywhere and just teleport to different locations?! Unless when you are cloned on the other end you lose 5 or ten pounds. In which case, yes.... I'd use this device a LOT!

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Reminds me of the move with Hugh Jackman where he sacrificed himself for a magic trick.

No I wouldn't use it because I would die.
    Yea, The Prestige, i thought of that too.

I wouldn't, I like plane and train rides.

Like others have said, I'd be dead. I wouldn't mind putting some people I don't like in that teleporter, though.

Quote Originally Posted by momirmaster View Post
    Although I believe that We never killed osama and OBAMA just used it as propaganda to win a election cause Osama's was probably dead for years I Usually am not gullible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    In the end we are all just a pile of flesh and bones. If an exact copy would be created would it really matter?

Quote Originally Posted by ridish View Post
    In the end we are all just a pile of flesh and bones. If an exact copy would be created would it really matter?
    It only matters to you and not those around you. You would die - those around you would notice no difference in you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why WOULD somebody EVER use such portal? Seems a bit stupid to me :/

Ofc I would. Temporal space does not matter to me. As long as I know there exists a ME in the world, that's fine.