Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    That's like saying a gun kills people. It's not the object, or belief that kills people. It's the people using/following it. A friend of mine is Muslim, but he hasn't blown up a building in the name of Allah.
    Religion does kill people, extremists taking it into the forefront of media limelight is one example. The christian crusades are another, and then the massacres of jews and protestants are another.

Religion does kill, it's very real and very sad - You may try and play out words saying its the actual people killing, not religion itself but it is the motivater at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    Didn't someone once interpret that the bible condemned space travel.

Some bullshit to do with what god said to Abraham about each star in the sky being one of his descendants.
    It does specifically say slavery is ok though...

It's called Sodom and Gomorrah. lol Where do you think the word Sodomy comes from? The bible was original written by god. He told the writers what to put in it. But yes the bible has been altered through time to fit where it was handed out at, and has been translated wrong several times.

And also in Genesis. Ham, son of Noah, sodomized his father when he slept. As a result Ham's son Canaan was cursed.
    So in other words, 2 instances of rape that just happened to be between two men is reason enough to go against being all accepting and loving your fellow race regardless of their downfalls? Please don't remind me again why I read the bible once then decided that Catholicism was not right for me. Regardless, this isn't the thread for this discussion, and there really is no point in that particular discussion because the people that need to be convinced have closed ears anyway.

In any case, I'm more surprised that there are still people more willing to shoot up a school of fairly innocent children than they are to shoot up a ridiculous hate-mongering 'church' group.

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    if my son or daughter was killed in the shooting, it would be very difficult for me not to shoot those protestors dead in cold blood
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Was their war on Scientology a success?
    Depends on your definition of "success." Have Scientologists been stirring up anything lately, or have they been keeping to themselves? I see it as a success because I haven't heard much about Scientology since the big hub-bub.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    Religion does kill people, extremists taking it into the forefront of media limelight is one example. The christian crusades are another, and then the massacres of jews and protestants are another.

Religion does kill, it's very real and very sad - You may try and play out words saying its the actual people killing, not religion itself but it is the motivater at the very least.
    People fall in love, get cheated on, and then kill the one they loved. So love kills people. A guy mugs and kills someone for money. So money kills people. See how bad your point of view is? I haven't killed anyone in the name of god. It's not the religion that motivates it. It's the person(s) who conceives the killing, and acts it out in the name of said religion. Not the religion itself. Religions do not tell you to kill someone if they don't believe what you believe in. It's man who came up with that idea.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

That's like saying a gun kills people. It's not the object, or belief that kills people. It's the people using/following it. A friend of mine is Muslim, but he hasn't blown up a building in the name of Allah.
    A gun is an object, religion is a motive. They are two separate things entirely. With a motive someone can kill with a gun, knife, anything... with a gun it requires the motive to use and is worthless without it. Cause and Effect, you can have cause without effect, but you can not have effect without cause.

Aren't the WBC just VERY serious about the bible and follow it to the T? Are the rediculous claims they make actually in the bible, and people are disgusted with them because it's "wrong" in todays society?

Quote Originally Posted by Goatfish View Post
    A gun is an object, religion is a motive. They are two separate things entirely. With a motive someone can kill with a gun, knife, anything... with a gun it requires the motive to use and is worthless without it. Cause and Effect, you can have cause without effect, but you can not have effect without cause.
    Religion is a belief, not a motive. People create the motive to kill others in the name of the belief.

Deleted
    People fall in love, get cheated on, and then kill the one they loved. So love kills people. A guy mugs and kills someone for money. So money kills people. See how bad your point of view is? I haven't killed anyone in the name of god. It's not the religion that motivates it. It's the person(s) who conceives the killing, and acts it out in the name of said religion. Not the religion itself. Religions do not tell you to kill someone if they don't believe what you believe in. It's man who came up with that idea.
    Yes it does actually... It depends on what religion in question were looking at but yes some certainly do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyIommi View Post
    I sure as hell am. It's about time SOMEBODY did something about them. Let's put it this way. How do you think this works if it's an islamic group protesting in favor of the slaughter of 20 children?
    If it was an islam group then I'm sure our president would say it was someone else's fault and turn around and apologize to the islams.

OT: Phelps and his inbred church is annoying and rediculous; but legal. I have first-had experience with them because I was Funeral Guard Detail in the navy for a while and had to literaly give my speech to the next of kin while they are in the background screeming. Then I had to deal with them another time, but that time Hell's Angels showed up and they were too scared to come too close.

Honestly I would prefer if they were allowed to keep doing what they were doing. Because of them I have seem more christian and just plain "good" people get off thier asses to either protect someone's privacy or to help out just in case the westboro douches show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    if my son or daughter was killed in the shooting, it would be very difficult for me not to shoot those protestors dead in cold blood
    i'd just bring a pipe bomb and 'do gods work' on them. i really hope someone murders all of them. nobody ever has the balls though.

Yes it does actually... It depends on what religion in question were looking at but yes some certainly do.
    Well I don't know about other religions. I'm christian and god sure as hell doesn't say "kill those who don't believe in me".

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    Aren't the WBC just VERY serious about the bible and follow it to the T?
    They tunnel-vision the "anti-gay" interpretation of the old testament, and pretty much just care only about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    No, religion does not kill people, people who manipulate people using religion kill people. Personally, I greatly dislike religion, I do, but it really doesn't do the killing, it's just a tool commonly used to manipulate people to get them to do the killing. You said something about the Crusades, that wasn't religion, that was the manipulation of it.
    Thank you, I couldn't think of the right way to put it. This is what I was trying to say.

Was their war on Scientology a success?
    It's not a war, it's just a bunch of bored people messing with people they don't like. That's really it.
    Also the people that did that and the people that did this are different people.

Deleted
    No, religion does not kill people, people who manipulate people using religion kill people. Personally, I greatly dislike religion, I do, but it really doesn't do the killing, it's just a tool commonly used to manipulate people to get them to do the killing. You said something about the Crusades, that wasn't religion, that was the manipulation of it.
    Fair enough, i gave a wrong example... But without christianity there wouldnt of been any of the faith crusades launched, man wouldnt of slaughtered mass's of innocent people simply because they refused to accept religion forced upon them.

So to each end man and religion is to blame, it can bring out the worse of each person.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    You know what's worse? Actually hurting people.[COLOR="red"]
    I hate it when people claim physical violence is the worst you can do to someone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Religious focused response:
    As a nation, we do deserve punishment. By that same token, every individual from myself to Hitler to the most pious and righteous man alive deserves punishment and condemnation. We should not revel in what may or may not be the punishment of others as even when it is just punishment; it is punishment we ourselves deserve as well. Beyond that, God does not punish joyfully, He does it with a heavy heart as He loves even the most wayward of his flock. It is our place to try to save those we can, not be joyful in the condemnation of others when we deserve the same thing and when God takes no joy in such undesired but necessary condemnation. In that, the WBC fail to recognize and follow one of the two prime directives of Christianity, to act as Christ like as is possible (the other being to have Christian faith). Christ warned while primarily trying to save all who would listen before His sacrifice; He did not come simply to tell us how screwed we are and take joy in our state of failure.

Do not try to just be cheerleaders of condemnation; there is no joy in condemnation and such action by you is not needed or wanted by God. Try instead, to save (which is clearly not the goal of WBC).

Political focused response:
    You cannot censor or bring legal action against these people (for what they say, if they commit an actual crime go for it) regardless of what they say as their speech is not harming anyone (hurt feelings don’t count otherwise I want the whole Democratic party censored ). To do so would be to continue the trend we are already on of destroying liberties that are actually specified within the Constitution, while at the same time forcing one group to give liberties to another group at the expense of the liberty of the first group when the second group is not constitutionally owed such liberties. If we continue does this path, then we will have a government that has no limit in its power. You may think it good to limit the liberty of another, but the moment that you do so, you condemn yourself or your children or your children’s children to have their liberty limited unjustly using as precedent the limitation of liberty that you yourself supported.

I also refer to my previously stated solution to the WBC for those of you who have these people picketing at funerals (go all Jesus throwing out the money changers at the temple on them).
    Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    Trying to remove constitutional rights isn’t the way to go. The best way to deal with people like this is to make it reasonably clear they are not allowed on some piece of private property (a church in this case), wait till one of them is stupid enough to go onto said piece of private property, and then shoot them for willfully trespassing (whether it’s legal to do so or not).

So to each end man and religion is to blame, it can bring out the worse of each person.
    Several of the most murderous regimes in history were atheistic. ANYTHING can bring out the worst in each person or be used as an excuse by a person as we are all inherently evil.
    Last edited by DEATHETERNAL; 2012-12-19 at 05:20 AM.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Wait....so limiting free speech, and that evolving into something where people can be punished for speaking out of turn, or against the government, etc, is based off of speculation?
    See: Soviet Union.
    See: Nazi Germany(Scroll to Nazi Germany section of article)...
    Yep, still speculation and still bad speculation at that. You really think our society is similar to Nazi Germany or Communist Soviet Union? Maybe you should brush up on your history, but the reality is that simply because those societies oppressed free speech does not in any way whatsoever mean that the same would be the case here in the United States. Again, just THINK about it logically. Do you honestly believe if the government added ONE MINOR law to address extremist freedom of speech than suddenly ALL of our freedom of speech would go out the window? This scenario is utterly implausible. Just think about it.