Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Zen Meditation helo

Hello, me and a mistweaver friend have been having a dicussion about zen meditation.

He claims that it absorbs Garalon crush ability and soaks 5 people around you. I have been trying to explain that it only works on single targeted abilitys.

So how does zen meditiation work ? does it indeed absorb aoe abilitys for others. Not talking about yourself just talking about the aoe abilitys aspect on others.

Reduces all damage taken by 90%

Pretty sure it gives 90% dmg reduction to everyone around you.

Grounding Totem only redirects single-targeted spells, of course. Zen Meditation is the same. If it redirected spell DAMAGE and not just spells, then it would actually be a really useful raid cooldown. There's a reason Monk players bitch a lot about having no raidwide cooldowns.

It doesn't "Absorb" anything, it gives you(and only you) 90% damage reduction which means you can use it to survive things like Garalon enrage(although he still despawns a few seconds later). It also doesn't redirect anything, to my knowledge, but each instance of spell damage taken will consume a stack and end the zen meditation after the stacks are gone.

It's supposed to be some form of raid utlity given what the tooltip states and the fact that allies also gain the buff but I can't recall it working on anything at all so it's best to treat it as dispersion that ends after taking 5 magic hits/1 Melee hit.
    Last edited by Valsh; 2012-12-19 at 07:09 AM.

Zen Meditation at this moment is more of a personal CD.

Crush is a physical AOE damage, and not directly casted at anyone. Read the tooltip one more time:

"Reduces ALL DAMAGE taken by 90% and redirects to you up to 5 HARMFUL SPELLS CAST against party and raid members within 30 yards. Lasts 8 seconds. Being the victim of a melee attack will break your meditation cancelling the effect."

Shaman grounding totem "Summons an Air Totem with 5 health at the feet of the caster that will redirect one harmful spell cast on a nearby party member to itself, destroying the totem. Will not redirect area of effect spells. Lasts 15 sec."

I did this on Heroic Garalon to absorb damage durring a WTF moment, and it immediately cancelled as soon as I got hit and did nothing for the rest of the raid. Blizz should just rewrite this crappy spell or just redo it because it's more of a personal thing.

Best use so far: Soaking sparks in heroic Moshu.

Like Valsh said, it's a personal bubble, but just let me re-emphasize something in case you missed it in that post: the melee attack that breaks the bubble is also reduced by 90%. That means on something like Blade Lord where you have extensive warning before a huge physical hit lands, you can intentionally bubble and continue to heal and such without having to worry about yourself.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

For garalon zen meditation will only provide the dmg reduction to yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have yet to really find a really good use for it outside of the personal 90% CD part of it. It is definitely useful like Wyse said on heroic Emp for soaking sparks (if you have it glyphed) and sometimes I pop it on heroic Vizier when I'm being bad at ring dodging but again.. all person CD type stuff. Does anyone know any boss the 'grounding totem' type ability it has is useful on? >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Quarla View Post
    I have yet to really find a really good use for it outside of the personal 90% CD part of it. It is definitely useful like Wyse said on heroic Emp for soaking sparks (if you have it glyphed) and sometimes I pop it on heroic Vizier when I'm being bad at ring dodging but again.. all person CD type stuff. Does anyone know any boss the 'grounding totem' type ability it has is useful on? >.<
    Bosses don't direct cast any spells from what I have seen this entire patch that's considered a "casted spell" that we can soak. Our tank and myself casted this thing on EVERY SINGLE MECHANIC to test it, and it didn't do a d*** thing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyse View Post
    Bosses don't direct cast any spells from what I have seen this entire patch that's considered a "casted spell" that we can soak. Our tank and myself casted this thing on EVERY SINGLE MECHANIC to test it, and it didn't do a d*** thing.
    Really? Lei Shi casts a single target spell for the majority of the encounter.

Deleted
    It's only useful on 4 kings, as a raid cooldown at least.
    Last edited by mmocf10b8a8948; 2012-12-19 at 11:11 AM.

Deleted
    The redirecting effect is more of a PvP thing, since it doesn't work with most PvE encounters. The amount of spells you can absorb isn't limited, you'll absorb 90% of the damage from each spell as long as you're channeling it. The five stacks that show up in your buffs, are the amount of spells that can still be redirected from others, to you. Using all stacks will NOT cancel the effect on yourself.
    I've noticed that this spell works on Amber Shaper Un'Sok during his last phase, when all the AoE damage goes out. I have yet to find a use for it on other bosses, but I generally forget about it since it rarely works anyway. Someone mentioned Lei Shi though, it should probably work there since all she does is cast.

Deleted
    Like someone already mentioned it works exactly the same way as Grounding Totem, which has a few limited uses in PvE (Spirit Kings, Protectors, Lei Shi for example). The redirect doesn't work for any AoE ability.

The 90% damage reduction part makes it an excellent self CD though.

BrM's can couple this with Avert Harm to get a good (although short range) raid CD.

So much misinformation in this thread! Ok.

Zen meditation has, essentially, two aspects to it: the 90% damage reduction and the spell redirection. I'll talk about them separately.

First, the 90% damage reduction. This occurs on EVERYTHING whilst Zen Meditation is active. Physical attacks, magical attacks, AoE, single target, whatever. Any damage you take will be reduced by 90%. All of it. Of course, as said above this only occurs whilst ZM is active, which I'll get to in a bit.

The spell redirection will only redirect spells which are a single target against a single person. AoE will not be redirected, nor physical attacks, nothing. Just single target spells, so for example a Mage's Pyroblast would be redirected, but their frost nova would not. Every time a spell is redirected ZM loses a charge, until it drops to 0 and stops redirecting: the buff does not appear to drop off after that, though (but I'm unsure on this specific part). You can see these charges in the buff icon when you cast ZM.

ZM will cancel in 2 separate situations:

1. The duration runs out, OR
    2. You take a targeted physical attack (the physical attack that breaks ZM will still be reduced, however)

By targeted physical attack, I essentially mean a single target physical attack on you. A boss' autoattack, essentially. AoE physical attacks will NOT cancel it, so Garalon's furious swipes will not break ZM. Qiang's Massive Strikes might not either, but I have yet to test this.

So, keep these rules in mind when thinking about ZM. For example, Lei Shi's Spray will not be redirected, because technically it's an AoE on a very small area. It also will not redirect any damage on Garalon, because the damage is from either DoTs or from AoE attacks, which are not covered in ZM's restrictions. It will reduce all damage taken by yourself though, and will not break from Garalon's Furious Swipes as stated above.

And just to clarify, the 90% damage reduction is NOT given to anyone else. It is only given to the Monk.

Deleted
    Thanks for the post and clarifation on this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    So, keep these rules in mind when thinking about ZM. For example, Lei Shi's Spray will not be redirected, because technically it's an AoE on a very small area.
    It will work on Lei Shi's Spray, managed to do this the last time i was on her, to tank the spray at the 20% buble.
    It's coming in 1.2!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mirodin View Post
    It will work on Lei Shi's Spray, managed to do this the last time i was on her, to tank the spray at the 20% buble.
    The 90% reduction works ON YOU, as stated in his reply, but you won't redirect it from the other tank preventing their damage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mirodin View Post
    Did you taunt or were you using the redirect portion of the spell, the reason I am asking is that we have 2 windwalkers and it would be handy if they could use it to soak a few towards the end to let tank recover a bit even though with his cast speed at the end you will get about 4-5 secs tops, still better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by GameFreakRPG View Post
    The amount of spells you can absorb isn't limited, you'll absorb 90% of the damage from each spell as long as you're channeling it. The five stacks that show up in your buffs, are the amount of spells that can still be redirected from others, to you. Using all stacks will NOT cancel the effect on yourself..
    It WILL cancel if you use all your stacks, bosses you can test this on are Lei shi(when she has enough haste to cast 5+ times in 8 seconds) & Master snowdrifts fists of fury cone in Shado-pan monastery.
    Last edited by Valsh; 2012-12-19 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valsh View Post
    It WILL cancel if you use all your stacks, bosses you can test this on are Lei shi(when she has enough haste to cast 5+ times in 8 seconds) & Master snowdrifts fists of fury cone in Shado-pan monastery.
    Not only that, but in battlegrounds/arenas when a mage/warlock is burst casting a lot of single-target spells my bubble pops far quicker than its buff timer says it should.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."