Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

RiFT: Best Expansion 2012 Massively

Massively just posted there MMO Awards 2012 and RiFT has won best expansion and most improved game awards for 2012.

Nice!

Linky

Earned it.

Storm Legion is mind blowing.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Probably so.

I really can't name an MMO expansion that tops SL aside from like the first 3 Everquest 1 xpacs. Though that is partially not fair to other MMOs; EQ1 being the quintessential/ideal MMORPG.

Just a question...

Was MoP in the competition too?

Quote Originally Posted by Madruga View Post
    Just a question...

Was MoP in the competition too?
    Mop came out in 2012. Only like, 2 or 3 months before SL.

Rift also got "Most Improved". Which is saying a lot, especially the way it's said:

RIFT launched with a great product, but dang it's been improving by leaps and bounds ever since. [...] really impressive when you consider what other MMOs do with their first 18 months.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Which is interesting that Rift won most improved game. Going from Cata to Mists is like going from a negative 10 to at least a solid 6-7. Going from Rift to SL is like going from already an 8 to a 10. (if sources can be believed)

I definitely will heap mounds of praise on Rift, sine I'm loving the crap out of it now...but most improved, no way. (I didn't play original Rift, so I can't comment completely accurately...though from the way people talk and review it, there's no way it was bad at all, and nowhere near as terrible as Cata).

Please note this post is not to start a flame war or game comparisons, just using some simple logic here.

I think this a good thing.

WoW really needs a strong title to keep chasing its butt. Maybe even put a shadow over it.

So we never have crap like Cataclysm again.

Long live Rift!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Madruga View Post
    Long live Rift!
    Yes please! Hip hip hooray

Deleted
    We can only support this. Leaving the throne to WoW without any decent competition creates cataclysm.
    Go RIFT!

Deleted
    Massively's MMO of the Year: Guild Wars 2 (Runner-up: The Secret World)
    That pretty much nullifies any opinions they have of the MMO-genre. Someone got payed alot to put those titles there. No doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by saltyharbls View Post
    That pretty much nullifies any opinions they have of the MMO-genre. Someone got payed alot to put those titles there. No doubt!
    a lot of people actually like GW2 and tsw has a cult following.

Quote Originally Posted by Alceus View Post
    Leaving the throne to WoW without any decent competition creates cataclysm.
    Ahhh I see what you did there! lol

It's nice to see that other MMOs do well and improve nicely that many months after launch, even if they weren't WoW killers. I hope to try Rift someday soon
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

What i find interesting in the list is that GW2 is both Game of the Year and runner-up for Biggest disapointiment. lol

And what is more interesting is that I can see how it can be both at the same time!

Yes but it does beg the question..by what metrics are they going?

For expansion of the year they are certainly not going by popularity, number of subscribers, most profitable, most features..in the end the only common metric I can find for all the award is the publishers own personal opinions. That's fine, because that is how most awards go out, but the gaming news industry is so bloated with biased writings its hard to take anything they say seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefrog View Post
    Yes but it does beg the question..by what metrics are they going?

For expansion of the year they are certainly not going by popularity, number of subscribers, most profitable, most features..in the end the only common metric I can find for all the award is the publishers own personal opinions. That's fine, because that is how most awards go out, but the gaming news industry is so bloated with biased writings its hard to take anything they say seriously.
    Those would be terrible metrics for game quality.

Not really. Do you think Justin Biebers music is good quality? I don't even consider it music lol. But the fact that so many other people do has earned him the awards and fame that he has gotten.

Likewise, if the majority of players in the MMO community prefer one game over another it means that the overall quality of that game is superior, even if their definition or the game's quality isn't the quality you consider.

Thats why any business that values the quality of their product will try to evaluate it from their customers directly or indirectly, not from some panel of judges giving their opinions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Call of Black Duty Ops 507: Zombies, Guns, Zombies with Guns and more stuff...Zombies

Game of the Millenium. Calling it now.